Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2/6/-2/7 Snow Threat

wncsnow

2 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

I'm a little confused at this run too. I have .7 qpf and only 2.5 snow and 850s and 925s are good here too. 

750mb warm nose gets you for the second half.  If the nam is to be believed all the cashing in has to be done on the front end, mountains included. 

As for the mountains of NC. Going to Maggie Valley I think I’ll see snow after 6pm maybe lasting through 10 or 11pm but then mixing issues sleet even freezing rain. But then I noticed the low In Tennessee bringing a round two of snow 2am to 6-7am so really the mountains see two thumps. The upstate and ne Georgia a window of opportunity maybe 7pm to midnight then sleet and rain.

Just now, BornAgain13 said:

No doubt , the NAM'S are a central/northern VA Snowstorm

Looking at qpf 12k demolishes me with .94 qpf and 9.8” on Kuchera. Has you around .90 but 3-5” range down that way. I really think rates will overcome some of this but it may not be and very well most likely won’t be 10:1 down that way. Prolly 6:1/8:1. Tomorrow’s high temps are huge.

Just now, wxduncan said:

Still every other model looks good for western NC besides the NAM. Not to worried unless they trend toward the NAM. Rather have all the other short range plus euro etc in my corner then one model which is NAM. Don't give up and cliff dive.... 

Honestly big picture wise the NAM trended towards the other models that run. But it's much later timing of the front end of the precip and the raging warm nose it's showing are causing the big differences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wxduncan said:

Still every other model looks good for western NC besides the NAM. Not to worried unless they trend toward the NAM. Rather have all the other short range plus euro etc in my corner then one model which is NAM. Don't give up and cliff dive.... 

Here’s the real question..... if the tables were turned and EURO/RAP/HRR/ICON ect ect were all showing warm nose but NAM was alone and showing your dream snow scenario would the forum hug it? If not why bother worrying in this current scenario

1 minute ago, Buddy1987 said:

Looking over 3k/12k other thing that stands out to me is even though the s/w is a weaker initially the dynamics are def there and the storm in general is just slightly delayed compared to 18z hence the precip shield expansion taking a little longer to get going.

Like the last storm man , I believe you are in a great spot. I'm literally on the edge of something extremely minor and something much bigger... usually the minor wins unfortunately 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PantherJustin said:

Here’s the real question..... if the tables were turned and EURO/RAP/HRR/ICON ect ect were all showing warm nose but NAM was alone and showing your dream snow scenario would the forum hug it? If not why bother worrying in this current scenario

That Is a great thought,  although the NAM is usually real good at "sniffing with a warm nose."

5 minutes ago, PantherJustin said:

Then that's a different story yeah I would be worried because that's 4 plus models versus 1 model. So to me changes nothing sure NAM is good at showing the Warm Nose but no reason to cliff dive I could care less if I get Snow or not been like this for years. God speed not worried at all. Stating my opinion. 

• Like 1

I’m not too worried about the warm nose. I care more about the intensity of the front end precip out ahead of the warm nose and the NAM isn’t very impressive in that regard. If we get heavy front end precip we can get accumulations east of the mountains... if we don’t, then we won’t.