Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2/6/-2/7 Snow Threat

wncsnow

5 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

3km NAM came back in more aggressive with the warm nose than it did at 06z. Ton of QPF went to sleet that run. Again pretty high up there cause the 850s and 925s are well below freezing til bulk of the precip is basically gone.

That warm nose as modeled on the nam is hard to believe 

Just now, franklin NCwx said:

That warm nose as modeled on the nam is hard to believe 

Been thinking the same myself. Seems like an outlier, but I also know it's history with sniffing out warm noses and after that last bust in January it certainly shakes the confidence a bit.

2 minutes ago, Dunkman said:

Why do you say that? At least in central NC it’s pretty typical.

That's not how it works here in the southern mtns. When we have a warm nose it pokes it's head in from 850-750.  850 Temps are well below freezing and stay that way until the end. This is why we mostly always do rain or snow and very little freezing rain here.  Speaking specifically for my area.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

Been thinking the same myself. Seems like an outlier, but I also know it's history with sniffing out warm noses and after that last bust in January it certainly shakes the confidence a bit.

But 850 Temps stay well below freezing for most of the event. You always see that erode quickly with a true warm nose

• Like 2

Just now, Tealsnowball said:

What gives me pause at the moment is the HRRR.  My question is, what is it seeing or not seeing in comparison to the NAM?  Why does there appear to be so little moisture with the HRRR?

The HRRR could be right of course. That said it’s shown very little skill outside of 6-8 hours this winter from what I’ve seen. I wouldn’t worry too much.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tealsnowball said:

What gives me pause at the moment is the HRRR.  My question is, what is it seeing or not seeing in comparison to the NAM?  Why does there appear to be so little moisture with the HRRR?

It drives a sfc LP to Detroit. That, and it's the long range HRRR. It will begin to become useful this time tomorrow. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Leesville Wx Hawk said:

Hopefully you get something BullCity, I am just on the other side of 85 so it’s definitely a no go.  I m just looking for next weekend.  If that doesn’t happen, I want 70-80 degrees.

Thanks man. I honestly do think it's fairly similar to the last setup, just a warm nose in the back third of the event.