Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 7th discussion/obs

The Iceman

54 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

As of 12:50 pm, we're up to 5.0" continuing the 1.5"/hr rate, although the intensity just let up after that, while I was doing my 2nd shovel - again, easy with the wide broom.  32F and seeing a bit of melting on paved surfaces that were plowed and have some blacktop, with the midday Feb sun.  

At 1:50 pm, we're up to 5.5" as we got 1/2" the past hour.  Snow just picked up in intensity, but looks like we're near the end, although I think we'll make it to my prediction of 6" for my house here in Metichen.  Still 32F.

Hi. Philly guy here. We have more than 0. I don't provide storm updates on here bc I live in a high rise building and have no place to put a snow board. I am 3 NW of CC. We had heavy, 1.5-2" snow rates for an hour or so while a band translated through..around 15 mins of which I'd characterize with the charming euphamism of "puking snow" (note: if that happens to you, see your doctor). Was very fun to watch. My place looks out over Fairmount park. The trees and surfaces have a solid few inches. I can't say exactly how the roads are as I haven't been out but I expect looking out that at least 3" has fallen on grassy surfaces and previously snow covered surfaces at least where I'm at. It is still snowing lightly now. Temps have been 32-34 the last few hours so I'd be very unsurprised if roads are just wet in the lower elevation areas. I'll take it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snowcane21 said:

Are you East or west of the boulevard. The gradient is pretty steep in the northeast. Straddling county line I’m at 4”. We never rained. Was mostly all snow from the start 

East but not far. I measured on my deck so could be more on the leftover snow. Maxwell Street off of welsh and dewees

Here in the NW Philly burbs of Chester County PA with today's 8.8" of snow we have now recorded 25.7" of snow since last Sunday. The 21.4" of snow already recorded this month is good for the most monthly snow in February since the 39.4" back in 2014. It is also already the 14th snowiest February in Chester County history. That said a long way to go to match the top 2 snowy Feb since 1894. #1 being the 69.8" that fell in 1899 and only 11 years ago  the 62.8" from Snowmageddon in 2010. However, this week may try to continue to move us up in the record books

• Like 2

Still moderately snowing here and holding steady at 33 (thought it would be warmer by now). Snow already compacting so tough to measure but definitely feels like we'll end close to 5". Not bad at all considering earlier with the band setting up west it looked like we'd be in an area of subsidence. The early storm mixing and that hour of small flakes/subsidence between two bands kept us from getting in that 6-10 zone. Feel like PHL heat island will come in way lower than just to the west and the suburbs along the Jersey TPK. Snow here definitely struggled to stick on paved surfaces especially once they were cleared

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

Thanks.  A guy on social media is saying 0.0" in Center City, even in a back yard.  Hard to believe that.  I assume grassy areas still had snow cover in Philly, correct?  

I just heard whoever is doing KYW's weekend weather report mention the same about Center City - little or nothing.  I think the issue is serious melting.  My previous report was it close to about 4" here (had popped out and measured 3.75" and that was about 90 minutes ago).  Just checked again about 10 minutes ago with the storm close to being done and it has melted down to 3" and slabs of mashed potatoes slid off my car as well as off others. :huh:

Currently 34 with tapering SN -.

At 1:50 pm, we're up to 5.5" as we got 1/2" the past hour.  Snow just picked up in intensity, but looks like we're near the end, although I think we'll make it to my prediction of 6" for my house here in Metichen.  Still 32F.

As of 3 pm, we have an even 6.0" of snow in Metuchen, which is actually what I predicted, which is kind of a miracle, given what the models looked like yesterday/last night. Snow is falling lightly and mostly over - could pick up another 1/4" or so. Fantastic, beautiful, easy-to-shovel snowfall - just finished shoveling round 3. As I said earlier, don't wait until after the SuperBowl to shovel as everything will freeze solid with temps in the teens by morning!! Still 32F and once the snow started falling in earnest this morning, cooling the column of air, temps were never above 32F.  On to Tuesday, Thursday and maybe Sunday - the pattern that keeps on giving - up to 33.3" this winter.  

5 inches here in Moorestown bringing our season total to 21 inches. Very March like storm with areas below the trees being nearly bare because of how much it hung on the trees. Gonna get very icy tonight if side road slush isn't plowed before sunset

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I just heard whoever is doing KYW's weekend weather report mention the same about Center City - little or nothing.  I think the issue is serious melting.  My previous report was it close to about 4" here (had popped out and measured 3.75" and that was about 90 minutes ago).  Just checked again about 10 minutes ago with the storm close to being done and it has melted down to 3" and slabs of mashed potatoes slid off my car as well as off others. :huh:

Currently 34 with tapering SN -.

The gradient in Philly is unlike anything I've ever seen almost - just look at the snowfall reports below, where elevation and distance from the urban heat island are probably the biggest reasons for the differences. A decent amount of it had to be the heat island, since Cherry Hill, due east of Philly at the same elevation as PIA, reported 2.8" of snow.

...Philadelphia County...
Chestnut Hill 6.0 in 0230 PM 02/07 Public (far NW Philly, elev 450')
1 SW Somerton 3.5 in 0224 PM 02/07 Fire Dept/Rescue (far NE Philly, elev 200')
1 NNW Philadelphia 1.0 in 1146 AM 02/07 Public
Philadelphia International 0.7 in 0100 PM 02/07 ASOS (far S Philly at the river, elev 35')

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Iceman said:

UHI just may be too much to overcome anymore in these borderline situations. Looks like there were similar gradients in dc and balt. 

The couple 50F days prior are killer.  If we didn't get the rates that we did, we'd have almost nothing.  Paved surfaces are all clear already.  

The gradient in Philly is unlike anything I've ever seen almost - just look at the snowfall reports below, where elevation and distance from the urban heat island are probably the biggest reasons for the differences. A decent amount of it had to be the heat island, since Cherry Hill, due east of Philly at the same elevation as PIA, reported 2.8" of snow.

...Philadelphia County...
Chestnut Hill 6.0 in 0230 PM 02/07 Public (far NW Philly, elev 450')
1 SW Somerton 3.5 in 0224 PM 02/07 Fire Dept/Rescue (far NE Philly, elev 200')
1 NNW Philadelphia 1.0 in 1146 AM 02/07 Public
Philadelphia International 0.7 in 0100 PM 02/07 ASOS (far S Philly at the river, elev 35')

I am in eastern Chestnut Hill and I know the far western part near Summit Ave and just before Germantown Ave. heads steeply downhill to Bells Mill Road, is above me in elevation.  Seems the gradient was literally going along am almost ENE --> WSW line.  You can sortof see it on the attached...

Looks like it's completely done here now and it's overcast with temp 34 and significant melting still going. I guess when the deep freeze comes, it'll all become glacier.

radar31a-02072021.png