Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 7th Storm Threat Discussion/Obs

mappy

4 minutes ago, H2O said:

As usual got crap for marginal events. Whatever. Snow fell and for a couple hours it looked nice. Wish it was more. Just can’t get breaks. Ever. 

congrats CAPE. At least it snowed well there

Hopefully we get some legit Arctic air pressing in later this week. That makes it so much easier to get some frozen. I got in on the good banding and that was the difference in overcoming the mild surface today.

• Like 1

Just now, kristia said:

I still work in Baltimore 2 days a week until I find a new job here. Might be sooner than later if I get fired for missing every Sunday :lol:

Or possibly murdered. Baltimore... the city that bleeds. Of course, I would never wish that upon anyone. I want to be murdered by weenies falling from the sky.

• Like 1

At the end of the day the immediate metros simply don’t do well anymore in marginal setups. Cold has simply been lacking 2 years running now. DCA hasn’t been below 24 this year and didn’t get below 22 last year. Highs under 40 let alone freezing are few and far between. Set ups, storm tracks have not been the issue. It’s really been all about temperatures.  Advertised cold doesn’t materialize as projected, we blow past high temperature projections and bust high in lows amost nightly. Get some legit cold with these tracks and it would be a different story. Then we can talk mid levels, rates, etc... until then we sre simply doo damn toasty. End of story. Will see what happens later this week.... maybe a little bit of actual cold.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

This thing sucked for most of us along and east of 95. Bottom line. The winter storm warnings were a joke 

Happens nearly every time.... for the last 5 years. I try not to be a deb... but this sh*t is getting old.

• Like 3

I should take the spotters course.  No reports from P.G. county for this storm and at least one other this winter.  Of course, if I take the course they'll probably tell me not to bother reporting amounts from a typical P.G. storm, i.e., 0.1 or 0.3". 

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=LWX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0&highlight=off

50 minutes ago, kristia said:

Still a decent amount here combined with last weekend. No complaints.  

30141266-3B75-47B8-839A-ACC942122BF5.jpeg

Pretty photo!   Lots of family back in that area.  (Winchester area my home for 47 years) 

My sisters ( just south of front royal around 1500" ) said she had almost 7" on the ground at her house today???  

Below average snow year here in the lower elevations of OR but the forecast changed dramatically in the past 48 hours.  We were just to get glancing blow from the artic air and now they are forecasting it building back west.  That's when we get the best lower elevation snows here.  Thursday through next Sunday single digit lows & mid teen highs with snow around everyday.  If it happens?? would be the coldest snowiest part of the winter here.   Cheers from OR.  

8 minutes ago, snownut said:

Pretty photo!   Lots of family back in that area.  (Winchester area my home for 47 years) 

My sisters ( just south of front royal around 1500" ) said she had almost 7" on the ground at her house today???  

Below average snow year here in the lower elevations of OR but the forecast changed dramatically in the past 48 hours.  We were just to get glancing blow from the artic air and now they are forecasting it building back west.  That's when we get the best lower elevation snows here.  Thursday through next Sunday single digit lows & mid teen highs with snow around everyday.  If it happens?? would be the coldest snowiest part of the winter here.   Cheers from OR.  

We are at 1200’.  I would say we got about 5” before it let up. Rates were great here. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wolfpackwxDC said:

Not that it matters or is in any way official, but between the rain at the start (0.2 inches) and all the snow that gathered in the rain gauge and then melted (0.60 inches), we got a total of 0.80 inches liquid out of this storm in Arlington. Fairly in line with forecasts if I recall correctly.

So temps were an issue for a lot of us unlike what others said...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wolfpackwxDC said:

Not that it matters or is in any way official, but between the rain at the start (0.2 inches) and all the snow that gathered in the rain gauge and then melted (0.60 inches), we got a total of 0.80 inches liquid out of this storm in Arlington. Fairly in line with forecasts if I recall correctly.

You did a lot better than me, just to your west (0.50" total).  And DCA got 0.49" to your east.  Good banding.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic