Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 7th Storm Threat Discussion/Obs

mappy

4 hours ago, Deck Pic said:

1987-2-22-23.jpg

this was one of my favorite snowstorms, though i was too young to know why/how it became a surprise (and borderline freakish) snowstorm.  i was actually peeking at analogs this week because i thought this may have some similarities with the milder temps leading in, but it didn't show up.  i think that one was a bombogenesis and caught forecasters off guard as it tracked up the coast.  it's also in the ku book.  jan 2011 is probably the closest to that one that i've seen, and feb 2014 as far as rates are concerned.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 87storms said:

this was one of my favorite snowstorms, though i was too young to know why/how it became a surprise (and borderline freakish) snowstorm.  i was actually peeking at analogs this week because i thought this may have some similarities with the milder temps leading in, but it didn't show up.  i think that one was a bombogenesis and caught forecasters off guard as it tracked up the coast.  it's also in the ku book.  jan 2011 is probably the closest to that one that i've seen, and feb 2014 as far as rates are concerned.

I’ve seen Jan 2011 thrown around with this storm and I can’t see why. IIRC we got hammered by the closed h5 low as it came through. We don’t have that unless I haven’t been paying attention

Will join the party at 4-6" -- snow modelling does not seem to fit the pressure evolution very well, and then northward displacement of max snow axis has worked in past two storms, why not this one? ... 6-8" would be the upper end of possible outcomes given the speed. Good luck anyway. Great looks later in the 18z run for additional significant snowfalls. 

• Like 1

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

I’ve seen Jan 2011 thrown around with this storm and I can’t see why. IIRC we got hammered by the closed h5 low as it came through. We don’t have that unless I haven’t been paying attention

yea, i think more so a couple days ago when it looked like it was trending stronger.  i think the association with this one could have been just the quick thump in a short amount of time.  87 was around a foot in 6-8 hours.  jan 2011 was a scaled down version of that.

1 minute ago, 87storms said:

Was a senior in HS and Feb was the greatest snow month for fun I've ever had. Bumper skiing all over the neighbornood. Bonfire midnight sledding parties with cases of OE800 tall boys packed in the snow at Strathmore. Cops came a few times to hang out and talk. Not to break it up. Life was so different back then but too many people did too many dumb thing in general and the party has been over since. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Jan 2011 was a big upper level bowling ball overnight. Not even close imo. Maybe temps and such. Dynamics/features? It's like comparing a ford mustang gt to a ford focus. They're both cars but kinda stops there 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Jan 2011 was a big upper level bowling ball overnight. Not even close imo. Maybe temps and such. Dynamics/features? It's like comparing a ford mustang gt to a ford focus. They're both cars but kinda stops there 

Thanks. I am sometimes starting to worry about my memory but I thought I remembered that one pretty well.

13 minutes ago, 87storms said:

Yeah...I was in 9th grade...Sunday night...snow day the next day, but I don't think they called it until Monday morning.  It was the epitome of a paste job.  By mid afternoon, tons of melting, sunny and warm.  DCA never hit freezing the whole event.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic