Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 7th Storm Threat Discussion/Obs

mappy

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

So I guess they had to issue the full WSW because of how things looked as of 18z yesterday? Wonder if they downgrade it to an advisory this evening...

That was my point. Just felt like they could have held off a bit before going to warnings. Especially being basically a 4 hour Sunday morning event 

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

That was my point. Just felt like they could have held off a bit before going to warnings. Especially being basically a 4 hour Sunday morning event 

Mount Holly went from a watch to wwa here this morning. Based on trends, maybe they upgrade to a warning, although I wouldn't, because it would be low end if it did verify.

• Like 1

Just now, Wetbulbs88 said:

Ugh....south trend when we need north....north trend when we need south. Same story different day. 

I'm going to hold out hope for a 25 mile jog NW at game time. Or we could have a January 2010 deal where the precip shield is more robust than modeled.

Never give up. 

Just dont lose sight that earlier this week there was no storm and now there is one. That's the most important trend because without it, discussing totals is as productive as the majority of washington football team's first round draft picks 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

12k on Weatherbell is way better than the usual 10:1 map, which is basically a disaster. Crazy how this has trended away from us. This area simply cannot catch a break the past five years. Maybe the late week event will finally break our way.

Is it really "crazy" though? A few days ago it was supposed to be 50 degrees and Sunny on Sunday with this storm getting severely suppressed. It's been nearly 50 degrees for two days leading into this. Best case scenario was always for precip to be falling into 32-35 degree temps. The only possible way this was going to end up "significant" in any sense would be if the precip was very heavy in order to overcome to mediocre temperatures. 

CWG said 1-3 when the models we're pumping for 6-8. They said it was because the conditions need to work out nearly perfectly to get more than 1-3. I think they made the right call. They admit there's upside for any areas that get those very heavy rates, but if your reasonable expectations for this was anything more than a couple sloppy inches, I can't really understand that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Just dont lose sight that earlier this week there was no storm and now there is one. That's the most important trend because without it, discussing totals is as productive as the majority of washington football team's first round draft picks 

This. Any snow is better than none.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

It’s decent if you’ve been keeping your expectations in check. We knew all along this was going to be a 32-34 event.  Nothing much has changed except NAM QPF maps which always change run to run.  The low is basically in the same spot. 

All I’m saying is that when the temp wants to be 33-34, and we need a force to keep it away from that... we fail 9 out of 10 times.

Honestly, I tend to read the PBP before heading to TTB myself because I get too much nervous excitement to ruin the drama. But the NAM doesn't look half bad. And the 3k...well I really don't trust it to be honest. For a high res model, I find it to be pretty bad at the QPF side especially when it comes to banding. Not bashing it or anything, but a NAM outcome with dynamic cooling would be an excellent outcome. I'll take a Euro/NAM blend and call it a day. 

1 minute ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

Honestly, I tend to read the PBP before heading to TTB myself because I get too much nervous excitement to ruin the drama. But the NAM doesn't look half bad. And the 3k...well I really don't trust it to be honest. For a high res model, I find it to be pretty bad at the QPF side especially when it comes to banding. Not bashing it or anything, but a NAM outcome with dynamic cooling would be an excellent outcome. I'll take a Euro/NAM blend and call it a day. 

There's never a situation where the 12KM NAM can outscore the 3KM NAM with mesoscale features.

• WxUSAF unpinned and pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic