Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 7th Storm Threat Discussion/Obs

mappy

2 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

What is this notion that it’s so much colder north and west of 95? Even the NAM has pretty much the entire area at 33 for the duration of the event 

I’m not sure why you’re shitting on this threat so much. NAM gives you .6 qpf and most of that will be snow. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Advisories serve a purpose as well. Just think they potentially could have waited a little longer to decide whether to go with advisory’s or warnings. Especially being a Sunday morning event and not rush hour traffic during the week stuff.  Nobody ever wants to downgrade either, and that may be coming later today or as the storm starts  for some. 

Someone can correct me if this is wrong but I think they post a warning if any spot in a county has the potential- so like if most of AA county is expected to be 2-4”, but a few areas could jackpot to 5” under a band, they go with the warning instead of the advisory.

7 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

If it wasn’t such a marginal temperature event I’d be more inclined to agree. In the end, we’ll see

Our perspectives are likely geared toward the way our my BYs perform in this type of setup. Bob and I tend to do decently here, being away from the bay and urban heat island. A defined SLP of this strength tracking where it is 9 times out of 10 is giving areas along and NW of I-95 3-5”. Heavy snow at sunrise through noon? It’s sticking. 

• Like 1

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

Don’t like relying on the NAM for QPF totals. I like it for temps. That’s me. 

Okie dokie. I think you’re making it seems so much worse then it will be. If it’s puking snow, you’re accumulating at 33 degrees. Upstairs is plenty cold enough. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mappy said:

Okie dokie. I think you’re making it seems so much worse then it will be. If it’s puking snow, you’re accumulating at 33 degrees. Upstairs is plenty cold enough. 

If it’s puking snow I agree. The debate is if it’s gonna puke snow. Yes the NAM says yes. The other models? Not nearly as much. The euro is close though. 

2 minutes ago, Ellinwood said:

I'm pessimistic southeast of I-95. Rain or rain/snow mix early and temps struggling to reach freezing there. Hopefully rates can overcome it.

Hell yes!!  Second consecutive storm I don’t get that shitty grey. Good map, Mark. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

If it’s puking snow I agree. The debate is if it’s gonna puke snow. Yes the NAM says yes. The other models? Not nearly as much. The euro is close though. 

Sounds good. Well, enjoy whatever you get I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

Sounds good. Well, enjoy whatever you get I guess. 

As PSU said, I’m in the snow anus of Maryland right now though so, I’d lean low haha. Good luck to everyone though. I’m not trying to be pessimistic, this is just my take and opinions. I understand some people may not care for it

9 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

You're focusing entirely too much on verbatim models and not thinking about the mechanics in play here. Yes, models could be right or much more wrong and it ends up a flurry. History says someone gets a pretty flush hit in short order and temps wont make a damn bit of difference for a few hours if it goes down that way. You seem to want to completely prove this as impossible for some reason that I (or anyone) doesnt understand. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

You're focusing entirely too much on verbatim models and not thinking about the mechanics in play here. Yes, models could be right or much more wrong and it ends up a flurry. History says someone gets a pretty flush hit in short order and temps wont make a damn bit of difference for a few hours if it goes down that way. You seem to want to completely prove this as impossible for some reason that I (or anyone) doesnt understand. 

If that's the case, it's lrobably an attempt to mitigate disappointment (the whole "if I don't let myself believe a positive scenario can still happen, I won't be as disappointed when it doesn't"...I know, been there, lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

If that's the case, it's lrobably an attempt to mitigate disappointment (the whole "if I don't let myself believe a positive scenario can still happen, I won't be as disappointed when it doesn't"...I know, been there, lol

This is a storm discussion thread tho. Not weenie therapy or a coping room. Majority of lurkers come here for good analysis and sound information.  I see good and bad here as well but I'm not choosing a side and vehemently defending it cuz you know... feelings...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

18 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Perhaps...but being a rate dependent storm, I don’t find it particularly encouraging that a lot of the guidance has trended drier in general over the last 12 hours. All I’m saying. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If I lived where he does I would probably find the worst model every run and obsess over it also. It’s actually somewhat amazing how awful it’s been where he is. Even while the whole area has been in a rut for the last 5 years his area had been by far worse. Got screwed by every storm. Literally. While some east locations got the Jan 18 and March 18 storms and westerners got March 17 and 18 and December 20 and DC got the Jan 19 storm he got the screw zone of EVERYTHING. He hasn’t seen a warning event since 2016!  So yea he is being a deb. But I might have had a nuclear meltdown if I was in his position by now. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

If I lived where he does I would probably find the worst model every run and obsess over it also. It’s actually somewhat amazing how awful it’s been where he is. Even while the whole area has been in a rut for the last 5 years his area had been by far worse. Got screwed by every storm. Literally. While some east locations got the Jan 18 and March 18 storms and westerners got March 17 and 18 and December 20 and DC got the Jan 19 storm he got the screw zone of EVERYTHING. He hasn’t seen a warning event since 2016!  So yea he is being a den. But I might have had a nuclear meltdown if I was in his position by now. 

I remember March 18 being OKAY. I think it was like a quick 4” but in soon as it stopped the melt was on. But yeah, that’s been tops for me I think since the big 16’

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Agree

For your and my yards, I'd be surprised if either cracked 6"+ or got less than 2". Not really a big spread of outcomes at this point imo. We're both in the heart of the climo boom stripe for this exact setup. If that changes I'll def say as much but haven't really changed my mind much since Wed when I became interested. I've actually become more optimistic in not getting the weenie shaft. 

No matter what, I'm expecting some people to be posting "raked rippage snowglobe" at some point tomorrow. Might be you, might be me, might be neither, but somebody is likely going to be all jacked up tomorrow morning under some yellows. 

Just now, North Balti Zen said:

It is nice to hear someone acknowledge the pain over this way, bless you PSU.

46/23 and still have ice encrusted snowcover from earlier this week.  Hoping for snow on snow. 

Remember I work in Baltimore City. I’m well aware of just how amazingly historically awful it’s been for snow there the last 5 years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Remember I work in Baltimore City. I’m well aware of just how amazingly historically awful it’s been for snow there the last 5 years. 

All localized droughts end up breaking out of it with a boom. That's a fact. Problem is, wx is cruel and it can outlast your life expectancy then dump 3' at your funeral 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

It is nice to hear someone acknowledge the pain over this way, bless you PSU.

46/23 and still have ice encrusted snowcover from earlier this week.  Hoping for snow on snow. 

People forget about SE HarCo too. They associate this county with Bel Air, Street, Norrisville, the big snow areas. The snow climo for Aberdeen, HdG and Edgewood is abysmal. Sunday was terrible compared to even over by you.

Going with the least snowy model/forecast has always worked.

like even the blizzard of ‘16. I measured around 20”. Bel Air?? 32”+. That’s 10 miles away.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned and pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic