Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 7th Storm Threat Discussion/Obs

mappy

1 minute ago, DDweatherman said:

I stopped paying attention on day 3 as I was in town for work. We’re there lots of places that picked up those totals? (outside the Catoctins folks)

There was a snowfall map in the other thread, I can't be bothered to go searching for it, but yeah - there were other similar reports in upper MoCo and nearby.

28 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

It's a CAM, so it can exaggerate in the synoptic scale due to convective feedback concerns that stem from latent heat release and localized pressure falls. @csnavywx touched on the limitations of the higher res models in a synoptic scale setup. It's okay in the short term (<24 hrs) as it can show banding characteristics, but it's prone to larger swings in guidance, especially SLP positioning. The NSSL is the same deal, although I found it to be not as jumpy with handling the surface reflection compared to the ARW/NMM. It is AWFUL with ULL though, so anything like that, avoid at all costs. 

As you noted, there are 3 Hi-Res Windows:   ARW, ARW2(NSSL-WRF), and NMMB (some sites still incorrectly label it as NMM).     NMMB overall performs the worst and will be retired and replaced with a Hi-Res Window FV3 around May.      I agree that they're just not great for winter storms - they are much better for details with severe weather and flash flooding events.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, high risk said:

As you noted, there are 3 Hi-Res Windows:   ARW, ARW2(NSSL-WRF), and NMMB (some sites still incorrectly label it as NMM).     NMMB overall performs the worst is will be retired and replaced with a Hi-Res Window FV3 around May.      I agree that they're just not great for winter storms - they are much better for details with severe weather and flash flooding events.  

Well the NSSL is the best for me so I’m hugging it lol 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The track adjusted west but qpf was lower across guidance so far 0z. Partially due to the storm moving even faster. In and out too fast. 

Got the 2-6 inch event that was spread out over 3 days. Now we get a 2-6 inch event that is in and out in 6 hours! Let's enjoy them however they come. 

• Like 1

Just now, T. August said:

Are we looking at the same thing lol? It’s like .2-.3 before rain unless I’m looking at it wrong.

It’s lighter with the overall precipitation banding so therefore temps aren’t as cold. We need the rates to overcome the marginal surface temps. GFS doesn’t do it. Doesn’t mean it’s right. But it’s the way this would go wrong

If we're really worried about the GFS, it's worth noting that 5 consecutive GFS para cycles (through 12z today;  18z has not yet updated) were wetter and snowier than the operational.   There are no zoomed in graphics, but you can see the key differences pretty clearly (use the dprog/dt option):

https://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/users/meg/gfsv16/realtime/gfsximages.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Gfs is dry here but I'm leaning 90% on the mesos starting tomorrow 12z and Euro. 

I think we will find out at 12z if this will do the typical jump NW at the last minute or if 0z was a warning for our area. I tend to think this adjusts north some tomorrow but the one inhibiting factor is it’s trucking so fast. If it is late amping up by just a couple hours it’s a problem when the whole system is flying by in 6 hours.  

1 minute ago, high risk said:

If we're really worried about the GFS, it's worth noting that 5 consecutive GFS para cycles (through 12z today;  18z has not yet updated) were wetter and snowier than the operational.   There are no zoomed in graphics, but you can see the key differences pretty clearly (use the dprog/dt option):

https://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/users/meg/gfsv16/realtime/gfsximages.html

Not “worried” but there has been a definite slight shift southeast on guidance so far tonight. That’s not what the northwest crew from Winchester to Mappy wanted to see.  But it was minor and could be noise. 6z could easily resume the NW trend we saw the last 48 hours. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Not “worried” but there has been a definite slight shift southeast on guidance so far tonight. That’s not what the northwest crew from Winchester to Mappy wanted to see.  But it was minor and could be noise. 6z could easily resume the NW trend we saw the last 48 hours. 

If I had to guess, I'd go with it being a blip, but it sure revs up the heartburn when you see shifts in a setup with so little margin for error....

• Like 2

Correct me if I’m wrong, @MillvilleWx (I really appreciate all of your insight)

this storm is the perfect type to play to the biases of the GFS. It doesn’t really do well historically with quick hitting meso dependent storms that track through the far SE portion of the CWA. Feel like the NAM/RGEM etc and Mesos would be much more reliable inside 48 over an ensemble. 

• WxUSAF unpinned and pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic