• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 7th Storm Threat Discussion/Obs

mappy

Agreed that the look at h5/500 actually improved quite a bit, despite the track further SE on the OP run.  Have a feeling by the time this is all said and done, the 95 corridor will be the place to be. Will likely go down to my brothers in ellicott city for this one. 

PS - maybe Richmond won’t be disappointed after all :lol::lol:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Amped said:

These systems don't phase, but if the NS gets ahead , it will crush the SS before it gets up the coast.  So  you should probably hope the SS doesn't slow down here, and the NS doesn't  speed up. Either will lead to a weaker further south system.

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

100% and was looking at that myself. Trying to convince myself that the ns isn’t just a tad out in front this run but I’m having a hard time doing that.

That is a danger...but its also a path to a big hit.  The northern stream isn't progressing east its pinwheeling in the upper great lakes.  So it does get out "ahead" briefly this run which is why the wave starts out more suppressed initially.  But because the NS isn't progressing east the SS wave will eventually get out in front of the flow and once that happens it turns north and should gain latitude fairly easily.  There is NOTHING in the flow to stop it.  The only issue would be if the wave gets squashed so much it can't recover but I don't necessarily see that here yet.  But that NS preventing this from amplifying and gaining latitude UNTIL it is over the southeast saves us because this would cut to the north pole otherwise in this flow.  We need it to be shunted into the southeast before amplifying and gaining latitude...and yes its a thread the needle because if it gets shunted too far then it can't recover but we have to dance with that devil here if we want to have a shot at a frozen and not wet solution.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

RGEM is yuck.  It has the next system right on its heels.  That is not helping.  It is way ahead of the progression on the NAM and GFS with that next wave and its way more amplified.  I think that is kicking this thing more on the rgem and cmc.  

What's a more realistic scenario between the two? I'm more prone to trust the NAM--honestly--but of course it's not like the RGEM is never reliable. 

RGEM is yuck.  It has the next system right on its heels.  That is not helping.  It is way ahead of the progression on the NAM and GFS with that next wave and its way more amplified.  I think that is kicking this thing more on the rgem and cmc.  

Was really hoping to nab the cmc/rgem tonight. It’s not an all hope is lost type thing but it’s a big red flag

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can’t say I’d be surprised if this didn’t snap back SE tonight before a creep north into game time. Those were big moves NW which could have overcompensated initially. Yes the flow looks to allow it to come N (provided the fast flow like RGEM has doesn’t verify), but those were big moves over the course of 6-12 hours.

1 minute ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

What's a more realistic scenario between the two? I'm more prone to trust the NAM--honestly--but of course it's not like the RGEM is never reliable. 

I would think more amplified in this setup but the NAM's did trend less at 0z no denying that and the RGEM was pretty flat.  Just a lot less amplified with the wave.  The flow can be conducive but if the wave is a weak strung out POS it wont matter.   

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I would think more amplified in this setup but the NAM's did trend less at 0z no denying that and the RGEM was pretty flat.  Just a lot less amplified with the wave.  The flow can be conducive but if the wave is a weak strung out POS it wont matter.   

Yeah classic thread the needle indeed. Definitely gonna be tough to pull off so I'd be happy with any accumulating snow here. 

4 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

I have it out, it looks like NAM to a degree with that heavy stripe 

3FC6EFD0-40B9-4449-BAB1-06CA84D83CC7.png

ICON was slightly more amplified...and exact same track until it got to the outer banks...and it looked about to be a better run....but then 18z the low took a more N jog from there and this run it went northeast and out despite the fact it was several MB more amplified.  

• Like 1

ICON was slightly more amplified...and exact same track until it got to the outer banks...and it looked about to be a better run....but then 18z the low took a more N jog from there and this run it went northeast and out despite the fact it was several MB more amplified.  

I almost feel like the ICON is not bad inside 48 hrs looking back on the recent storms, but outside 48 it struggles mightily and can be prone to doing weird things with the surface. 

• Like 1

It looked like it there...but then the low took a NE instead of NNE track from NC and the heavy precip stayed southeast of 95.  Close miss to the SE with the heavy snow. 

Agreed. Looked good early but followed the trend of the rest of the 0z suite unfortunately. 

• WxUSAF unpinned and pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic