• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mississippi State -- The BOTTOM LINE?!

LVwxHistorian

So I've seen other posts about MIssissippi State's programs on here in the past, but would like to get people's current opinions since I've been accepted into their Masters program and may not have any other schooling options with funding.   I know their classes are NOAA approved but not so rigorous as other bonafide  Meto/Atmospheric Science programs.  Any intelligent thoughts are much appreciated!!

4 hours ago, LVwxHistorian said:

So I've seen other posts about MIssissippi State's programs on here in the past, but would like to get people's current opinions since I've been accepted into their Masters program and may not have any other schooling options with funding.   I know their classes are NOAA approved but not so rigorous as other bonafide  Meto/Atmospheric Science programs.  Any intelligent thoughts are much appreciated!!

I'm a Penn State educated engineer myself but I know the met programs there are quite good but difficult to get into at the grad level. There are some decent alternative paths into the met field which might also provide some fall back careers. One option might be to get an M.S. in physics with a professor that studies climate physics. There are similar approaches when considering computer science. 

Millersville also offers a perhaps overlooked met program at the b.s. level. They have a climate science applications program at the M.S level. I have an aquintance that went through their Met b.s. and she has a career as a meteorologist. https://www.millersville.edu/programs/climate-science-applications.php

Lyndon state in vermont is another school that is good but overlooked. I dont know if they have a graduate program. I know that they have a program concentration in graduate studies so that might be an option if you want to bulk up your c.v. before entering a more competitive degree program.

I'm sure Mississippi is a fine school. Go there if you'll think you'll enjoy it and enjoy your career prospects afterwards. 

From what I remember from when I was looking into met schools back in 2009, I'm pretty sure Miss St's program was guided towards broadcast meteorologists. That was also undergrad though so I'm not sure if their masters program is guided similarly towards broadcast mets. I just remember their undergrad program wasn't nearly as math/physics intensive as other meteorology schools and  they had a more communications background in their curriculum. Obviously a lot can change in 10 years though.

I went to Millersville for undergrad in Met and while I didn't finish my degree in meteorology, their professors and staff were all outstanding! I've heard great things about their Master's programs as well from friends that I graduated with..though I don't think they offer a specific masters in meteorology, I believe they offer Masters in Atmospheric Science or something to that degree. 

First off, *congratulations*. Getting into a post bach meteo program isn't easy, and securing funding isn't a guarantee. 

I'll give you my two cents. Unlike in ugrad, grad school is all about your advisory-professor and how well you can fit into the program. I'm not the smartest person in the world, in fact I was often envious of my classmates for being so much faster than I was all the time! But I know how to communicate well, and I know how and where to get data. That is what you need to be successful. In stem you'll find many folks are great with numbers but can't speak or write to save their lives. Be a good communicator. Know how to explain what you do to others. Profs, potential employers etc.

Where you go should depend on where you want to work. Choose a school where you can work with a prof that matches your specific interests. That's going to be important to keep you going when you're cranking out 16 hr days and yelling at code on your comp. Research the profs at MSU, see if they align with your goals. Read their papers. Write down intelligent questions, and then email those profs and ask them about those papers. If the convo goes well, ask them about your concerns. You're going to be there, you've been accepted, they won't kick you out for asking.

When you go apply for a job--at noaa or wherever, your hiring manager will want to know about your research. What you did, why you did it, what you learned. Where you went to school comes up low on the list, same deal with course grades. They matter-- but they aren't what your hiring manager cares about. They do care that what you studied and know how to do matches their job needs though. I cannot stress enough that it isn't like ugrad. Realize that as a masters student, you are considered a professional student. As such, it isn't about prestige...it's about what YOU do, and how. You're in the driver's seat. You get to decide what you learn and what you put into the world. Choose the school that let's you do what you want to do. 

MU

• Thanks 1

I'm actually a current graduate student at Mississippi State in the Department of Geosciences, although on the Geology side (note: the department also includes Geography and Geospatial Sciences). While I don't know a lot about the Meteo professors, I can tell you that there is a lot more focus on severe thunderstorms than winter weather within the Department (for obvious reasons*), although Dr. Wood is pretty well known for hurricane research. There is a heavy focus on broadcast meteorology (roughly 1/3rd of all TV mets are graduates, inlcuding Ed Hanna, among others, locally), but that would be stronger for online and non-funded master's students. As a funded student, you'd probably have a somewhat different focus, and you'd likely be teaching geography (potentially geology or GIS depending on your background) labs unless it is an RA. I could tell you more about the program or Starkville if you have specific questions. 

On a Lehigh Valley note, Dr. Sherman-Morris is originally from Easton. 

*-There will be a half dozen times per winter where it snows/sleets, but it accumulates maybe once per year. It actually does start accumulating just a bit to the north, though. There are even snowplow attachments in larger towns in the extreme northern part of Mississippi and western Tennessee!