Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 7th-9th event

Thundersnow12

59 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Day after Christmas 2009.

Looked at that one and was in the 30-50:1, don't think it is the one I am thinking of. I joined Accuwx in January of 2010 so would have been after that. I know Skilling had a mention of it but can't find it via google. Did find one of his Q&A's where he confirms a different 90+:1 ratio event, but on a smaller level snow wise. It would have had to have been between early 2010 and probably 2015. I remember you specifically mentioning the ratios afterwards and Skilling had a brief blog about it as well, hence my searching for him mentioning it. Wish Jesse would have archived accuwx forums rather than taking them down completely.

https://books.google.com/books?id=7pPoBAAAQBAJ&pg=PT12&lpg=PT12&dq=Tom+skilling+high+snow+ratio&source=bl&ots=_Z7jZUOJhN&sig=ACfU3U36yifZgJrkopcYsKbFge1sOicHqg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj7_4zW1dvuAhWDVs0KHUtJBXY4ChDoATAHegQICBAC#v=onepage&q=Tom skilling high snow ratio&f=false

image.png.68ae403b6b9f81110c3afa1a94d897d6.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE, IL  
812 PM CST MON FEB 8 2021  

UPDATE  

812 PM CST  

A NARROW BAND OF HEAVIER SNOW CONTINUES RIGHT ACROSS THE CHICAGO  
METRO EARLY THIS EVENING. THIS BAND OF SNOW HAS BEEN PRODUCING UP  
TO 1" PER HOUR RATES OF FLUFFY SNOW. THIS BAND SEEMS TO BE DRIVE  
LARGELY BY AN EAST-WEST ORIENTED ENHANCED BAND OF 700 MB  
FRONTOGENESIS OCCURRING ALONG THE BAROCLINIC BOUNDARY OVERHEAD.   
THIS IN COMBINATION WITH SOME IMPRESSIVE LAPSE RATES ABOVE THIS   
LEVEL (7.7 DEGREES C PER KM PER KDVN 00UTC RAOB) AND SOME UPPER   
LEVEL JET SUPPORT, HAS SUPPORTED THIS SINGLE MORE INTENSE BAND OF   
SNOW.  

HIRES FORECAST GUIDANCE HAS NOT HANDLED THIS AREA OF SNOW WELL AT  
ALL. HOWEVER, IN THE NEAR TERM (NEXT 2 HOURS), IT APPEARS THIS   
BAND OF HEAVIER SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO GRADUALLY SAG SOUTHWARD,   
AND WILL LIKELY CONTINUE TO UNDERGO SOME WEAKENING AS IT LOSES THE  
BETTER UPPER JET SUPPORT. ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF AN   
INCH OR TWO IS POSSIBLE IN THE AREA THAT THIS BAND IMPACTS,   
ESPECIALLY INTO THE CITY AND POINTS SOUTHWARD. THIS WILL RESULT   
IN 2 TO 5 INCH TOTALS ACROSS THE CHICAGO METRO AREA.   

AT THIS TIME, WE DO NOT HAVE ANY PLANS TO EXTEND THE ONGOING  
ADVISORY PAST 10 PM. HOWEVER, WE WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR TRENDS  
OVER THE NEXT HOUR TO SEE IF A LOCAL EXTENSION MAY BE JUSTIFIED.   

KJB  

Up to 4.6" as of 8. 
Tree branches are just barely starting to sway after being completely still all day. Have seen a few clumps of snow fall off as a result.
About 2.5" here measuring in the front of my house where I had shoveled out Saturday's snow. I'm assuming about 2" is from this evening with the band just north of my area this afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

About 2.5" here measuring in the front of my house where I had shoveled out Saturday's snow. I'm assuming about 2" is from this evening with the band just north of my area this afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nice. This one was a lot easier to measure here than most due to the lack of wind. Everything had melted or fallen off the deck railing prior to today. 

Great call on the WWA today btw.

• Like 3

Got a nice burst of Texas flake +SN just before dawn this morning for almost an hour.  Enough to completely cover the dogs in about 10 minutes.  Rough measurements of 1.5 to 2 around outside this morning for the 24 hour period.  Looking like our friends south of I70 in IN are getting some well deserved amounts.  Seeing a lot of 2-4 inch reports down there, and it may stick around for more than a couple days.  This pattern can stick around for the next 2 weeks as far as I'm concerned.  It's been a while since it's looked and felt like winter around here without frozen slop or torturous barren cold being dominant.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, purduewx80 said:

Your neighbors must love you. I grew up near Louisville and don’t recall anyone around there ever having a snowblower. 

Where near Louisville did you grow up? Most of my Dad's family is from Louisville. 

Actually, the majority of my neighbors have snowblowers. Only a couple do not, and we clear their driveways since they are older. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fyrfyter said:

Where near Louisville did you grow up? Most of my Dad's family is from Louisville. 

Actually, the majority of my neighbors have snowblowers. Only a couple do not, and we clear their driveways since they are older. 

Across the river in Harrison & Floyd Co., IN. My dad has a plow on his tractor and helps out some of the older neighbors too. 

1 minute ago, purduewx80 said:

Across the river in Harrison & Floyd Co., IN. My dad has a plow on his tractor and helps out some of the older neighbors too. 

Got it. Have been there many times. My Dad's Fiancée is from New Albany. I bought a truck many years ago from a guy in Floyds Knobs. 

• Like 1