Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 5-20, 2021 arctic cold

beavis1729

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

First below zero temp for ORD.  Fun fact... it is the coldest first below zero temp at ORD since March 4, 2002, when it got to -7.  Yes, March 4 was the first (and only) below zero reading in the winter of 2001-02.

Has ORD ever had a winter where it didnt get below 0 ?

1 minute ago, Snownado said:

Has ORD ever had a winter where it didnt get below 0 ?

It happens but it is uncommon.  Only about 10% of Chicago winters have failed to produce below zero temps since records began.  The last time a winter didn't go below zero was 2011-12.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Snownado said:

I thought Feb was late winter? Dec = early winter. Jan= Mid Winter. Feb = Late winter. How can it be mid winter when it's only 20 days until met spring?

I guess if you want to debate semantics regarding mid winter or late winter that's fine. My point regarding the issue of the depth of the cold and it's severity for this time of year stands.It's cold no doubt. But it is not unusual or extreme cold for this time of year in the midwest. Now if Chicago doesn't break above 20 degrees before February 20 or we get hit with an airmass that puts us at  -20 I'd say we have achieved brutal cold. or unusual cold longevity.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Snownado said:

I thought Feb was late winter? Dec = early winter. Jan= Mid Winter. Feb = Late winter. How can it be mid winter when it's only 20 days until met spring?

Calendar spring does not equate to what you consider real spring in Central Indiana. Brutal cold can happen here through mid-March, although after the first week in March, Arctic intrusions usually don't have as much staying power. If you're from a more southern climate, it will be early to mid-April before what you think of as "spring" happens at IND.

53 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Notable cold this morning:

Langdon, ND wind chill -57 at 6:35 AM (-29 with W wind 15 mph)

International Falls, MN wind chill -53 at 7 AM (-36 with SW wind 5 mph)

I am not sure if it has much effect but there is very little snow cover in North Dakota with many spots bare. I wonder if more snow would have made it even colder

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

Calendar spring does not equate to what you consider real spring in Central Indiana. Brutal cold can happen here through mid-March, although after the first week in March, Arctic intrusions usually don't have as much staying power. If you're from a more southern climate, it will be early to mid-April before what you think of as "spring" happens at IND.

That really surprises me that a city so far south can get so cold. 40N is really not that far north.

1 hour ago, Snownado said:

That really surprises me that a city so far south can get so cold. 40N is really not that far north.

geography and inland. Thats why coastal NC all the way up to coastal Virginia has vegetation more similar to the south instead of Nashville. Even Washington and Philly have a much warmer climate overall compared to the lower mid west even though they are similar 40N. 

• Like 1

Looks awesome outside through the window. Clear blue skies, bright sunshine reflecting off the snow, and then you open the door....polar bear stampede. 

Very harsh stuff to have to endure for days on out. These are the days of winter I could careless for as this kind of cold can hurt you quickly. And the next heat bill will be a doosey to boot.

• Like 1