• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 5-20, 2021 arctic cold

beavis1729

I don't expect a lot of melting. The ground is frozen below the snow and the existing snow is dense. We had three inches of snow in Dayton Saturday night...and it rained all day Sunday with mid 30 temps....and still have a very compact inch or two....with an inch or two of fluff now on top. When the ground is not frozen its much easier for snow to melt....when the ground is frozen....not so much.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gino27 said:

That's pretty remarkable. Given that this snowpack will likely survive for most of us, it could certainly get very very cold.

For the record, here are the 1985 and 1994 time periods in reference for Columbus. 

1985 High/Low/Mean/Departure/Precipitation/Snowfall/Snow Depth

18 33 20 27 1 0.2 3.1 6
19 27 -5 11 -15 Trace Trace 9
20 -5 -19 -12 -38 Trace 0.2 8
21 11 -16 -3 -29 0.02 0.6 8
22 21 11 16 -10 0.02 0.7 8

16 15 -8 4 -22 0.12 1.2 2
17 28 0 14 -12 0.46 6.6 8
18 0 -17 -9 -35 0 0 9
19 -1 -22 -12 -38 0.07 1.1 9
20 15 -9 3 -23 0.04 0.4 9
21 16 -15 1 -25 Trace Trace 9

I'm a big fan of weather extremes, so I don't mind a few days of anomalous cold, but I just did a quick scroll through the GFS and I am no fan of the length of the arctic air hanging over the Lakes region. I mean come on, two solid weeks of the surface temps not getting over 20°? I really got depressed when I saw that the Euro is in agreement. And hard telling how long past the end of their runs?

This is going to be the type of weather that only Beavis can love.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, IWXwx said:

I'm a big fan of weather extremes, so I don't mind a few days of anomalous cold, but I just did a quick scroll through the GFS and I am no fan of the length of the arctic air hanging over the Lakes region. I mean come on, two solid weeks of the surface temps not getting over 20°? I really got depressed when I saw that the Euro is in agreement. And hard telling how long past the end of their runs?

This is going to be the type of weather that only Beavis can love.

:bike:

The overall trend on the models (not necessarily each individual model) over the past 12-24 hours seems to be:

(1) Delay the core of the arctic outbreak a bit

(2) Initial shot of extreme cold focused a bit further north and west, even as the airmass/source region itself is still brutally cold

(3) Prolong the residence time of the cold air around here, even if not as extreme on a given day.

With that said, the various models are still not in agreement and are flipping a bit from run to run...possibly due to a potentially more organized storm system prior to the cold air dump.

12z GFS at hour 99 shows temps as low as -53 in NW Manitoba.  Here's 12z Sunday morning:

sfct.conus.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Greenwald said:

Yeah the Euro ends its run with a big cold wave pretty far south. GFS shows potent cold @384 as well. Wind chills of -15 in the texas panhandle. It would seem it's here for awhile.

I mean at some point the higher sun angle and longer days have to put a stop to the cold, right ? Or is it just going to go on forever ?

I mean at some point the higher sun angle and longer days have to put a stop to the cold, right ? Or is it just going to go on forever ?

Of course we will have spring and summer, but sensible weather is just going to get weirder and I think our idea of the traditional neat seasons is over. ice albedo feedback cycle keeps getting later and later, this year was the latest on record. our seasons are the product of a complex system and when the system parameters change of course the system output changes. Judah C says the new normal is go big or go home as the (global climate) system tries to rebalance.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, madwx said:

12z Euro has this in 2 waves now.  The initial cold shot from Friday through Tuesday and then a reinforcement of cold air in the middle of next week

Yeah, 12z Euro is a "delayed but not denied" situation.  Usual caveats on a Day 10 op map...but you don't see this every day. 1058 mb high in MT, with temps 60F below normal. Not bad.  :stun: :lmao:

sfct_anom.us_nw.png

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, MIstorm97 said:

Going to be a bad time being an outdoor essential worker coming up :shiver:

In my mind, it's just cold. If you get coated in water and it turns to ice, you actually feel warmer.

COVID is the worst thing to deal with. I spend more time now with a respirator on than I have in the last 20 years. 

I think this is going last a bit longer overall now that I've looked more at my model, especially my way. A little reprieve in there but overall, pretty much the dead of winter. I did mention how really cold Feb looked in my forecast for the upcoming month . Looks like it'll pan out with big storms afterward like Valentines Day that I have noted. We shall see about that. 

56 minutes ago, Brian D said:

I think this is going last a bit longer overall now that I've looked more at my model, especially my way. A little reprieve in there but overall, pretty much the dead of winter. I did mention how really cold Feb looked in my forecast for the upcoming month . Looks like it'll pan out with big storms afterward like Valentines Day that I have noted. We shall see about that. 

Can you post some more about your model? What is it and how do you ingest data and such? Couldn't imagine the specs of a computer to accomplish such a feat at home. I recall Skilling used to state he had an inhouse RPM model, similar?

I've been a lurker during my first umpteen years here and have not followed along with every system thread since then, until this year(Winter season). May have missed it, but I'm curious whether to add more weight to your postings or if it is a bit of BS.

Not calling you out on it, just want a bit more info if you could.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can you post some more about your model?

everything he “models” is long range so my money is on teleconnections a la beiring sea rule or lezak recurring cycle or an “all blend” of both making “Brian’s proprietary model” ™™copyright 2021

ps no diss Brian, while your maps are vague with farmers almanac levels of leaving yourself open to being accurate no matter what happens you have had some ringer level hits this season

• Haha 2