Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

MAG5035

45 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

It depends on whether that day was in April/October or in July. As a cold fan, a sunny and 67 July day in PA for me would be wonderful.

Me too! My point was, those aren't the types of days that typically generate a passion for weather...it's typically a large snowstorm or some other significant weather event.

Other than my week on Hatteras Island I could care less if we ever saw 70 degrees all year. :)  

39 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Me too! My point was, those aren't the types of days that typically generate a passion for weather...it's typically a large snowstorm or some other significant weather event.

Other than my week on Hatteras Island I could care less if we ever saw 70 degrees all year. :)

Imagine all of this with no internet.  PBS would be a major staple in our lives (if its not now) and 6AM (A.M. Weather) and 5:30PM (Weather World) would be our two bellwether moments each day.   

AM Weather

• Like 1

I'm strange as a weather enthusiest. I love sunny, warm, benign days, yet when a storm threatens (even winter storms) I root for them to verify and hit my area hard. 
I guess I am truly a weather "nut"... lol

I am the exact way. To be honest, one of my favorite winters was 2016. Give me just one big 2 or 3 foot snow storm every winter and every other winter day could be sunny and 70F.

Never was a big fan of having bone chilling cold or even keeping snow pack.

40 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Going to throw another link out there...Paul Knights last Weather World (he comes back though).  If you do not have 15 min, the last 5 are clips from the show in the 80's and 90's.  Quite cool.   

When I was young back in the early 70s weather world was the weather we watched. My mom didn’t like any of the local Mets. She was a true believer in what Joe Sobel or Elliott Abrams said. There wouldn’t be a drop of rain or a snow flake falling in the morning but I had to wear my boots to walk to school  because weather world said it was gonna rain or snow. Most of the time they were right. I remember Joe Bastardi  starting on weather world as a young meteorologist. Fred Gadomski and Paul Knight were excellent. I still tune in occasionally. I remember too waiting for the evening paper to come to look at the weather map and see if it was gonna snow. The good ole days. 

• Like 2

Paul Knight - honestly, my favorite met ever. I remember on Wednesday, January 3rd 1996 that there was talk about a large, powerful snowstorm that was going to affect the southern mid Atlantic region over the upcoming weekend. I know that all of my local forecasts were for a dry, very cold weekend at that point. On that evening's Weather World, Paul said that he felt confident that this large storm would bring heavy snows to at least the southern portions of PA. I have no idea what models were depicting, I just know that every forecast was for the storm to miss south of our area. Except Paul's forecast. He was the first to sound the alarm...and he was remarkably calm and confident that it was going to happen...

5 days later, I started the task of shoveling out from under 30.5" of Paul's heavy snow he forecasted. He was, and is, the most accurate, non-hype forecaster I've seen and/or heard in PA. That was probably his most memorable "win." 

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Paul Knight - honestly, my favorite met ever. I remember on Wednesday, January 3rd 1996 that there was talk about a large, powerful snowstorm that was going to affect the southern mid Atlantic region over the upcoming weekend. I know that all of my local forecasts were for a dry, very cold weekend at that point. On that evening's Weather World, Paul said that he felt confident that this large storm would bring heavy snows to at least the southern portions of PA. I have no idea what models were depicting, I just know that every forecast was for the storm to miss south of our area. Except Paul's forecast. He was the first to sound the alarm...and he was remarkably calm and confident that it was going to happen...

5 days later, I started the task of shoveling out from under 30.5" of Paul's heavy snow he forecasted. He was, and is, the most accurate, non-hype forecaster I've seen and/or heard in PA. That was probably his most memorable "win." 

The other forecasters must have been ignoring the Nam (ETA). 

Paul brought a unique flair to forecasting 

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It seemed a lot more common when I live in the Philly and KOP.  Watching snow hit the shore and miss me. 10 years....late 80's through mid 90's.

The "Bomb Cyclone" (January 2018?) brought blizzard conditions to the beach communities...I don't remember how far west accumulating snow got from that. 

5 hours ago, Superstorm said:

I am the exact way. To be honest, one of my favorite winters was 2016. Give me just one big 2 or 3 foot snow storm every winter and every other winter day could be sunny and 70F.

Never was a big fan of having bone chilling cold or even keeping snow pack.

Meh. Not for me! Lancaster definitely has the perfect climate for you then. The weeks and weeks of sunshine and 40s during the winter there was "meh" for me. The winter of 93-94 was by far my favorite season there.

4 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Meh. Not for me! Lancaster definitely has the perfect climate for you then. The weeks and weeks of sunshine and 40s during the winter there was "meh" for me. The winter of 93-94 was by far my favorite season there.

I'm in between the two of you - first and foremost, I want snow cover to stick around. And if we had multiple minor events that continuously builds or refreshes the pack, sign me up. However, that's not usually how we roll, as you know. So knowing that regardless how much snow falls that it's going to melt fairly quickly, nothing beats the thrill of chasing down a beast. 

93-94 was special and might not be duplicated anytime soon. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

It seemed a lot more common when I live in Philly and KOP.  Watching snow hit the shore and miss me. 10 years....late 80's through mid 90's.

Yup, that's the time frame I remember. At that time I wasn't driving a truck yet and loved snow, and it was heartbreaking watching on the Philly news how Atlantic City was digging out of 15-18 inches of snow and all we got in Bethlehem was an overcast, cold day with flurries.

9 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

I'm rooting for 1 last hurrah:snowing:.  Maybe day 8-12 time period .

No signs of sustained above normal temps through 10-15 days.  Spikes caused by storms going to our west.  The cold air is just sitting there to our North East.  Need a trigger to tap it.   So just normal and blah if we do not get one. 

23 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

Back door cold fronts. Nasty.

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, our corner of the nation has its own extended late winter weather on some LR models.  

Speaking of nasty, welcome to today. Cold and windy on March 19th with not a hint of wintry weather. If it's not going to snow, I'm ready to move on from this. 

• Like 1

Well, the chances of seeing even a smidge of snow, to the extent that such chances ever existed at all, went kaput.  You could see yesterday that the "threat" was fizzling faster than anticipated.  A bit less rain than I thought I'd get here too, only .87".  Now we embrace backdoor cold front season as we pray for one last onion snow.