Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

MAG5035

2 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

It appears We wouldn’t have an economy if it wasn’t for mindless consumption. On the bright side, watching their older children use a mall video game retailer to topple a few hedge funds and create endless reams of print of such professionals jockeying for least self aware person of the year has at least been a brief hiatus in the year of our “@wokeness” where humor and satire were allowed to crawl out from hiding for a brief, but sorely needed moment.

It's a race to see whether Wall-E or Terminator turn out to be more futuristically correct. (Behind Idiocrasy of course) 

It's a race to see whether Wall-E or Terminator turn out to be more futuristically correct. (Behind Idiocrasy of course) 

Let’s do gamification of each option through phone apps while listing the contest in a prediction market where we can all wager the stimulus money on the results and allow the greatest minds of Vegas/finance to properly price options so different hedging strategies can include it as a non correlated assets and soon banks will find ways to securitize it, sell it and eventually all pension plans will own it, followed by companies, which all the indexes will have to buy stock in, which means almost all retirement money will be invested in.

If we do anything great it’s make whole economies out of fiction that keeps the world moving

4 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Let’s do gamification of each option through phone apps while listing the contest in a prediction market where we can all wager the stimulus money on the results and allow the greatest minds of Vegas/finance to properly price options so different hedging strategies can include it as a non correlated assets and soon banks will find ways to securitize it, sell it and eventually all pension plans will own it, followed by companies, which all the indexes will have to buy stock in, which means almost all retirement money will be invested in.

If we do anything great it’s make whole economies out of fiction that keeps the world moving

Yea, anyone who tells me life today is harder than 50-100-150 years ago, I tune them out pretty quickly. 

Yea, anyone who tells me life today is harder than 50-100-150 years ago, I tune them out pretty quickly. 

If life is harder, it’s harder in the way choosing a which amazing meal is to eat at a 5 star buffet. I say this speaking to society on average regarding material items. I do see life being harder in specific areas, especially when you get out on the margins, but like everything in life there are trade offs to benefits.

Take example having no flu this year. One issue they are going to have a problem with is targeting the varient that will dominated next year so vaccines next year have a greater chance of missing the mark. Take into effect the lesser immunity our population may have and there is a defiantly a small probability increase for a really bad flu season next year. Life if all about trade offs.

6 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

If life is harder, it’s harder in the way choosing a which amazing meal is to eat at a 5 star buffet. I say this speaking to society on average regarding material items. I do see life being harder in specific areas, especially when you get out on the margins, but like everything in life there are trade offs to benefits.

Take example having no flu this year. One issue they are going to have a problem with is targeting the varient that will dominated next year so vaccines next year have a greater chance of missing the mark. Take into effect the lesser immunity our population may have and there is a defiantly a small probability increase for a really bad flu season next year. Life if all about trade offs.

Bad Flu season and still Covid concerns next winter.  A large part of the population is not going to get the shot.  Now Foxnews is blaming Marvelous Marvin's death on it. But we have veered WAY off weather.  Sorry. 

Winter Weather Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service State College PA
236 PM EDT Mon Mar 15 2021

PAZ024-033-161000-
/O.NEW.KCTP.WW.Y.0018.210316T0800Z-210316T1500Z/
Cambria-Somerset-
Including the cities of Johnstown and Somerset
236 PM EDT Mon Mar 15 2021

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 11 AM EDT
TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Total snow and sleet
  accumulations of less than one inch and ice accumulations of a
  light glaze.

* WHERE...Cambria and Somerset Counties.

* WHEN...From 4 AM to 11 AM EDT Tuesday.

* IMPACTS...Slippery conditions on untreated roads and sidewalks.
  The hazardous conditions could impact the morning commute.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and Pennsylvania
Turnpike Commission remind motorists to adjust speeds based on
driving conditions as winter weather impacts Pennsylvania
roadways.

Call 5 1 1 or visit www.511pa.com for the latest travel, roadway
and traffic conditions.

To report snow or ice, post to the NWS State College Facebook
page, use Twitter @NWSStateCollege, or visit weather.gov/ctp.

&&

$$
MS/DM/AW

Just now, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Man, what a dry airmass for this time of year, talking 10th percentile or lower with Dews below zero and RH values in the 15-20% range.

NWS AFD mentions this as to why they threw up the WWA.  Negatives that it will take a while to saturate but that means dropping temps combined with lack of news coverage and no road pretreatment. 

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

NWS AFD mentions this as to why they threw up the WWA.  Negatives that it will take a while to saturate but that means dropping temps combined with lack of news coverage and no road pretreatment. 

Trixie just asked in the Monday Snow thread that Ji created when watches are going up - I think you should quote her post and put in Sterling's WWA for portions of that thread. :D

22 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Trixie just asked in the Monday Snow thread that Ji created when watches are going up - I think you should quote her post and put in Sterling's WWA for portions of that thread. :D

See, then I would be in the wrong for stirring the bees nest.  But I did think about asking when a WSW was needed for a snow thread.   In the last 30 days, lots of people in the MA have lost their snow lovers membership card.  Its one thing to root on spring and another thing to troll every post about snow with snide remarks. 

Edit-  Have to appreciate @losetoa6's Moxy to keep ignoring the haters and post info. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Seeing your name reminded me that I spoke with two neighbors who already planted summer plants that will die with a freeze.  The topic came up because I told them they would lose them last night (and several more times in the next week or two) and both times said they were told winter is over and no more freezing weather was coming.   So it was not just Covid fatigue causing irrational thought that Spring was here...there was some misinformation coming from somewhere (I doubt these people watch the bad info in the MA forum so not from there). 

I wish people weren't so headstrong or ignorant about these things. It's like you try and tell them something you know to be true but nothing convinces them and then they still get mad when their plants die lol you can't believe everything your friends post on social media

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Man, what a dry airmass for this time of year, talking 10th percentile or lower with Dews below zero and RH values in the 15-20% range.

I mentioned this over the weekend.  But that was with temps in the 50's and dews in the teens.  Today it's low 40's with dew point hovering around -2F and 15% RH.  Generally you see this more in April.  I think we've only seen sub-zero dew points maybe one other time this winter?  Maybe today is the lowest of the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

I wish people weren't so headstrong or ignorant about these things. It's like you try and tell them something you know to be true but nothing convinces them and then they still get mad when their plants die lol you can't believe MOST THINGS your friends post on social media

Corrected :-).   I have some FB connections of people I thought were normal, level headed people in High School and they are actually looney tunes based on their rants and comments. 

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Corrected :-).   I have some FB connections of people I thought were normal, level headed people in High Schools and they are actually looney tunes based on their rants and comments. 

Yeah I don't even bother with facebook now. It just ends up rotting your brain and it's better for your mental health to take a break from it every now and then. It's good to have an avenue to keep in contact with friends and family but it's good to not let it consume you lol

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Unfortunately it gets worse and worse every year.  My days might be numbered there:whistle:. ...

for people who supposedly love snow they sure hate it alot lol:lol:

I have been back for 3 winters and do not remember it being this bad the previous two.   Not sure if they hate snow or hate being wrong...or a mix of both. 

3 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yeah you love the low temps that result from the potent wet bulbing but hate the virga fest you have to endure while waiting for the atmosphere to moisten. Always something with this weather game I tell ya.