Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

MAG5035

12 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Fair point but hail is so clearly a convective phenomenon associated with strong updrafts in warm season thunderstorms, one would think observers would be taught to differentiate.  As you say though, they are both ice haha.  And yes, if hail were able to be counted then we'd expect to see many more days during the warm season with Trace amounts listed but we don't sooooooo.........great discussion Bubbler, thanks for entertaining my tangent on this random Tuesday morning ha.  Would love to hear other's thoughts.

Thanks, same to you.  I frankly thought most of the August and July snow reports were along the same line of our grandparents telling us they walked 5 miles to school in 3 feet of snow and no shoes.   But your run down of actual NWS reports makes it a bit more intriguing as to the hows and whys. 

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Thanks, same to you.  I frankly thought most of the August and July snow reports were along the same line of our grandparents telling us they walked 5 miles to school in 3 feet of snow and no shoes.   But your run down of actual NWS reports makes it a bit more intriguing as to the hows and whys. 

Haha I assumed the same.  However, this is supposed to be our official climate site from which our climate record is established and records/norms are broken/set, no!?  I guess my expectations are just too high, naive to think there wasn't some errant reporting going on back in the day.

So, I did a random spot check of the daily almanac for most of those Trace reports for June through August and sure enough they were all very warm days with substantial precip reported (i.e. T'storms and hail).  But again, you'd think there would be a few more given the period of record extending back to 1889.  Who knows.  I will say, if my limited research is any indication, it appears as though last year's May 9th snow event was in fact the latest in the season Harrisburg has ever recorded snow.  Fascinating.

URGENT - SPRINGTIME WEATHER MESSAGE
Itstrainingtime Weather Service Maytown PA
11:35 AM EST Tue Mar 9 2021

...Significant home interior warmth conditions developing...

PA CTP 
Maytown / Northwest Lancaster County-

...CENTRAL AIR CONDITIONING WARNING IS IN AFFECT THROUGH THURSDAY MARCH 11TH...

* WHAT...Home interior temperatures rising above 65 degrees 

* WHERE...Maytown/Lancaster County

* WHEN...Until midnight Thursday

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Be prepared for central air to be turned on for 1st time in 2021

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Central Air Conditioning Storm Warning means that air conditioning start up is occurring or imminent. 
Plan on reduced temperatures beginning shortly after the onset of system startup, and allow for plenty of
exterior noise as the outdoor fan runs. Temperatures inside the home should return to more comfortable levels
following startup. 

Remember - Don't suffer, turn on the Air Conditioning! Many people suffer unnecessarily from high interior 
temperatures. Running A/C reduces temperatures and saves lives resulting from heat stroke. 

$$ Mike
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Haha I assumed the same.  However, this is supposed to be our official climate site from which our climate record is established and records/norms are broken/set, no!?  I guess my expectations are just too high, naive to think there wasn't some errant reporting going on back in the day.

So, I did a random spot check of the daily almanac for most of those Trace reports for June through August and sure enough they were all very warm days with substantial precip reported (i.e. T'storms and hail).  But again, you'd think there would be a few more given the period of record extending back to 1889.  Who knows.  I will say, if my limited research is any indication, it appears as though last year's May 9th snow event was in fact the latest in the season Harrisburg has ever recorded snow.  Fascinating.

Good research.  I think it's safe to assume it had not snowed that often in the summer.  My mom insists one summer day she saw snow flakes falling in the 40's despite it being in the 60's or 70's.  She went as far as to claim she went outside and let them land on her and watch them melt.  The science of it does not add up though.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

PA CTP 

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Be prepared for central air to be turned on for 1st time in 2021

A Central Air Conditioning Storm Warning means that air conditioning start up is occurring or imminent. 
Plan on reduced temperatures beginning shortly after the onset of system startup, and allow for plenty of
exterior noise as the outdoor fan runs. Temperatures inside the home should return to more comfortable levels
following startup. 

Remember - Don't suffer, turn on the Air Conditioning! Many people suffer unnecessarily from high interior 
temperatures. Running A/C reduces temperatures and saves lives resulting from heat stroke. 

$$ Mike

LOL, Sweet.  Hilarious.  Mine is staying wrapped up.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

PA CTP 

following startup. 

$$ Mike

OH MY Please help. LOL. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

PA CTP 

following startup. 

$$ Mike

Well played sir, well played.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Well I just found the following under the NWS's snow measurement guidelines:  Note: Hail accumulation is not entered with snow and ice pellets.

The plot hath thicketh! It appears we have a number of erroneous snow reports in the official record books.  Perhaps these guidelines are newer but in any case I think we need a full investigation conducted by a council of American Weather Forum's greatest minds.  Alright alright I digress.....

2 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Well I just found the following under the NWS's snow measurement guidelines:  Note: Hail accumulation is not entered with snow and ice pellets.

The plot hath thicketh! It appears we have a number of erroneous snow reports in the official record books.  Perhaps these guidelines are newer but in any case I think we need a full investigation conducted by a council of American Weather Forum's greatest minds.  Alright alright I digress.....

I know one poster who will gladly pick this up and run with it. 

52 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

PA CTP 

following startup. 

$$ Mike

This is hall of fame level stuff here lol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yep, and the Op's of varying countries are responding as such.   Whether it snows or not is debatable but the theme of the 12Z runs so far has been much colder next week.

You said nearly the same at 6z....

sounds like your theme may be looking like a trend.

Was just at a clients.....I hate it already. #sweatin

3 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

You said nearly the same at 6z....

sounds like your theme may be looking like a trend.

Was just at a clients.....I hate it already. #sweatin

Yep, 6Z was colder and 12Z is even colder.  The prospects of more March winter hit rock bottom on the 12Z Euro yesterday and has been trending back up since then.  

6 minutes ago, paweather said:

D$mn cutter @ 222. 

LOL, take a look at the Euro from yesterday...and the extreme changes in both ground truth weather and upper air patterns for early next week as of today, and take anything the Euro says 7-10 out with a grain of salt.    The Euro has completely evacuated the east of cold air at 222 while the GFS and CMC have completely different timing and results.  The GFS is a cutter....Euro is more like a staller and transferer.