Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

MAG5035

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

That recycle bin is not going to find itself.   But I agree it is windy today and its making it feel even colder than it is.  Not comfortable to be out. Going to be a cold weekend. 

It's been breezy/windy all day. But in the past 90 minutes the wind has ramped up considerably here. Some of these gusts are easily 40+ mph. It's howling. 

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

So far this season guidance has been too aggressive with energy dumping in the sw and decent strength and longevity of any SE ridge hasn't  materialized. I see no reason that this won't continue.  Hopefully late next week any ridging is quicky beat down for our mid-late  March snow train to commence :weenie:

Yes indeed!

The snow train might be back on track by mid March!

The 18z GFS Para has St.Patty’s Day snow as well!

86169AC4-6815-41A9-B07F-86057D40DD81.png

379FCB25-B205-47D1-A7B1-B3F19CE5F5B2.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Many might disagree but March is my favorite winter month tbh. For a couple reasons..

My favorite storm of all time 1993 occurred in March. 

The huge HECS potential that exists this time of year with shorter wave lengths,  clash of air masses,  cutoff low potential ...AH....LA..  1958 , 1962, 1956, 1942, 2018 and many others 

The typical wet nature of March snow .

High Qpf increased potential. 

March of 93 is my all time favorite too in case anyone couldn’t guess!

I don’t think we are done yet this season!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

March of 93 is my all time favorite too in case anyone couldn’t guess!

I don’t think we are done yet this season!

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Yep...I definitely feel lucky I was able to experience first hand the pure awesome power it delivered.  I always say imo it was a 500 or 1000 year storm. :weenie:

1993 was far from my best storm, snow total wise, but it was the most exciting single weather event of my lifetime, except for PERHAPS Sandy. 1993 was a special storm in so many crazy ways, which we've documented here often. I will never, ever forget it. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

When I made my post there is NO way it was 20-30 mph less, at least here. We didn't have 60-70 mph winds the other day, but we easily gusted past 40 this afternoon. 

My highest guys today was 31. My highest then was 52, sustained 34 for 7 hours.  

20 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

I’m calling it, region wide warning event before the end of March! You heard it here first.

After next weeks warmup, there does seem to be a decent window for something to pop.

Green beer w/ a white/frosty topping on it.  This is a decent look from way out there.  Only 47 runs away from verifying.....hehe

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_47.png

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

After next weeks warmup, there does seem to be a decent window for something to pop.

Green beer w/ a white/frosty topping on it.  This is a decent look from way out there.  Only 47 runs away from verifying.....hehe

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_47.png

Yeah it is something to at least watch now. Yesterday GFS had nothing like this. 

11 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes indeed!

The snow train might be back on track by mid March!

The 18z GFS Para has St.Patty’s Day snow as well!

86169AC4-6815-41A9-B07F-86057D40DD81.png

379FCB25-B205-47D1-A7B1-B3F19CE5F5B2.png

That'd be a great end to a really good winter IMO.  I'd be just fine w/ that.  Let it stick around a couple days and I'm good.

1 minute ago, paweather said:

Yeah it is something to at least watch now. Yesterday GFS had nothing like this. 

Tellies suggest the window is open, but Ens guidance does not agree w/ Op so proceed w/ caution.  After next weeks warmup, a rather zonal pattern looks to be en route.  Sorta wierd to see how flat the 500 flow is on Ens guidance post 2/14.  I agree w/ loosetoe that March and shortening wavelengths are 2 great ingredients for humdingers to pop.  That flow verbatim is a dud.

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

Tellies suggest the window is open, but Ens guidance does not agree w/ Op so proceed w/ caution.  After next weeks warmup, a rather zonal pattern looks to be en route.  Sorta wierd to see how flat the 500 flow is on Ens guidance post 2/14.  I agree w/ loosetoe that March and shortening wavelengths are 2 great ingredients for humdingers to pop.  That flow verbatim is a dud.

It is cutoff season! Going to be a cold weekend that is for sure and then a warmup and then who knows. It will be interesting to see what the LR models have in store today. 

2 minutes ago, paweather said:

It is cutoff season! Going to be a cold weekend that is for sure and then a warmup and then who knows. It will be interesting to see what the LR models have in store today. 

Yes, it sure is, but this flow doesnt ooz cutoff.  That's all I'm sayin.  You could launch a glider in N Cali, and itd land in Cashtowns back yard.

gfs-ens_z500a_us_49.png

55 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

This cold and wind is starting to get old. I can do without this wind, it definitely adds a more pronounced bitter chill to the air.

Going to be windy until tomorrow evening. I swear this region has to be the windiest place on the east coast that isn't on a mountain top.