Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

MAG5035

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Thank you for sharing this. January 21st 1994 was the coldest temperature I've ever recorded...-23 was my low. I remember how jaw-dropping it was to see my thermometer that low...the coldest temp that I remembered prior to that was Christmas 1983 when I recorded -6. 

You're welcome!  For me the coldest temperature I ever had at my home in NJ (until 2000) was -8 which happened twice.  Possibly the first time might have been 1983.  I think what I remember about Christmas day 1983 is that the wind chills (which were still calculated on the old, original scale and were overdone with temps below zero), on my Heathkit 4001 showed wind chills below -50F multiple times that morning as the winds were easily gusting in to the 30s.  On that day my high temperature was only +4F, the coldest daily maximum I've ever lived through.  The coldest temperature I've ever experienced outdoors anywhere was -17F up in Haverhill, New Hampshire visiting a weather friend.  There was no wind with that temp, thankfully.

16 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

No, that typo was not a typo.  Hour 300 is just as likely to come true as day 300.  LOL.   Both are potential snow days.  :-).   There is snow in the 300's on the Para I looked at earlier.   

I'm fine with snow on day 300. What is that? Early October?

4 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

I avoided posting the day 300 snow storm maps because I knew you would not like it.  They are out there to view though.  LOL. 

Nah...I don't think I want to look at it...lol

Omg...I just saw DAY 300 and not HOUR. :lol: 

I guess I'd be ok with a day 300 snow map. Holiday week snow is nice, even for a warmanista like me. :P

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Includes sleet but does not hurt to post one map.

image.png.7e8c6bc86648ff85b5021e9a3289ea3d.png

Nice.  I like snow up until st. pattys day, then I worry a lot less about it, as the window is really closing, but like others have stated, I'll always take a doozy whenever it's possible. 

The ridging on the maps from next week is rather stout, and will likely over perform IMO, and I'll just enjoy the first spring warmth and see where we go beyond d10.  

• Like 1

CTP:

.CLIMATE... Closing the books on the meteorological winter (Dec-Feb) 2020-2021. Prelim data shows Harrisburg finished as the 28th snowiest on record with a total of 36.0 inches or +11.3 inches above the 30-year average. Total snowfall at Williamsport ranked as the 8th snowiest winter with 53.8 inches or +26.1 inches above the long term mean. February was also a notable month in the snowfall category as Williamsport (8th snowiest with 22.0 inches), State College (11th snowiest at 25.2 inches), and Harrisburg (18th snowiest with 19.7 inches) set notable marks. Of additional note: February of 2021 was the snowiest February since 2014 at all 3 sites.
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, pawatch said:

CTP:

.CLIMATE... Closing the books on the meteorological winter (Dec-Feb) 2020-2021. Prelim data shows Harrisburg finished as the 28th snowiest on record with a total of 36.0 inches or +11.3 inches above the 30-year average. Total snowfall at Williamsport ranked as the 8th snowiest winter with 53.8 inches or +26.1 inches above the long term mean. February was also a notable month in the snowfall category as Williamsport (8th snowiest with 22.0 inches), State College (11th snowiest at 25.2 inches), and Harrisburg (18th snowiest with 19.7 inches) set notable marks. Of additional note: February of 2021 was the snowiest February since 2014 at all 3 sites.

Williamsport strutting out a high full winter ranking.  

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Williamsport strutting out a high full winter ranking.  

Bubb

Definitely a good winter for the books. February we had 22" but a lot of that was 1-2" snows 3 times a week.

We ended up 26.1' above normal which kind of equals that big 24" snow storm we had. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, pawatch said:

Bubb

Definitely a good winter for the books. February we had 22" but a lot of that was 1-2" snows 3 times a week.

We ended up 26.1' above normal which kind of equals that big 24" snow storm we had. 

Good to see Williamsport score big.  it may not be over either though Met winter is in the books like that blip said.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pawatch said:

Bubb

thats a fabulous winter IMO.  One I dream of.  Get a biggy and then just keep it fresh for a couple months....perfect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pawatch said:

CTP:

You guys are less than a foot behind us here in the Syracuse area!!!...which is ridiculous. Just shows how awful compared to normal our winter has been up here. Your great winter was a boring dud here. lol

My parents in Danville were sending pics throughout the winter.

• Like 1

Pretty easy forecast for the forecasters in my zone:D

This Afternoon
Sunny, with a high near 54. West wind around 11 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.
Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 31. Calm wind becoming northwest 5 to 8 mph after midnight.
Thursday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 43. Northwest wind 8 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.
Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 20. Northwest wind 10 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 40. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 26.
Saturday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 42.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 24.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 42.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 25.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 51.
Monday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 32.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 57.

15 minutes ago, paweather said:

Pretty easy forecast for the forecasters in my zone:D

This Afternoon
Sunny, with a high near 54. West wind around 11 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.
Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 31. Calm wind becoming northwest 5 to 8 mph after midnight.
Thursday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 43. Northwest wind 8 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.
Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 20. Northwest wind 10 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 40. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 26.
Saturday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 42.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 24.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 42.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 25.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 51.
Monday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 32.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 57.

Good enough to keep the lakes frozen on the top.  Going to a state park this weekend and going to do some ice walking.  Only part of the lake is covered but can still go out a bit.  Like I mentioned last week, I wonder how often (if ever) small lakes and ponds in the LSV will ever totally freeze enough for ice skating in the future. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Good enough to keep the lakes frozen on the top.  Going to a state park this weekend and going to do some ice walking.  Only part of the lake is covered but can still go out a bit.  Like I mentioned last week, I wonder how often (if ever) small lakes and ponds in the LSV will ever totally freeze enough for ice skating in the future. 

Awesome with the ice walking. Mid- March when I am out of the states you guys are going to capitalize for sure. The models seem to be showing that change from spring early next week to more winter later on.  

42 minutes ago, paweather said:

Awesome with the ice walking. Mid- March when I am out of the states you guys are going to capitalize for sure. The models seem to be showing that change from spring early next week to more winter later on.  

Yea, second half of March looks cold albeit it a very long range forecast. 

• Like 1