Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

MAG5035

5 hours ago, canderson said:

I recommend you start hauling chocolate and deliver to my house. kthnx 

I almost did. I was thinking about HR Ewell out of East Earl for awhile, but they were a bit too far from home to commute to, and too close to home to sleep in the truck in their parking lot..

4 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Thanks, I was thinking it would be you coming through with this link if you were on.  Not sure it was not more easily identified in a search.   I had it all the time was just not seeing the proper area but searched again when you pointed me back to it. 

It’s quite loud outside.

I remember when I think Isabel came through. That night sounded like a constant jet engine. I went to my parents and made everyone sleep in the basement. About 6 am an 80 foot tree feel, barely missing the house, neighbors house and 3 cars had minor damage. It basically fell perfectly to avoid horrible outcomes. From that day forward my parents and siblings listened to me without question when it came to weather

• Like 2

Thanks, I was thinking it would be you coming through with this link if you were on.  Not sure it was not more easily identified in a search.   I had it all the time was just not seeing the proper area but searched again when you pointed me back to it. 

There’s a couple places. I think I actually have records for mdt for each hour going back 50 years

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

There’s a couple places. I think I actually have records for mdt for each hour going back 50 years

Yep, see this link for the confusing history:

https://www.weather.gov/media/ctp/ClimateStationHistory/Harrisburg LCD Site History.pdf

CTP used to have easy-to-access quick links for the daily records under the "Climate and Past Weather" tab at the top of their page but has since made everyone go through the NOWdata screen which some people find unintuitive and difficult to use.  Not sure why they got rid of the old links which took you to nice simple tables for every day of the year for both Harrisburg and Williamsport.  They still display the "daily normals" tables in this format but for some reason made the daily records more difficult to access.  But it's all there if you're willing to dig a little.

There is a site that has all storms that generated a NESIS ranking going back 15 years I believe. It allows you to put in a location and a radius of say 100 miles and pull in all the snowfall amounts listed by spotter reports within that radius for each storm in an easy format for data collection. I’m thinking of doing it centered around kmdt to build a good data set of snowfall distributions and since each report has a long/lat I can built grids of say 10mi^2 or smaller to create a density map of accumulations in its most basic form. Depending on how deep I go with Python will determine what all I can do but I should be able to find some neat microclimate trends and hard data to support some of our theories here.

20 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

It’s quite loud outside.

I remember when I think Isabel came through. That night sounded like a constant jet engine. I went to my parents and made everyone sleep in the basement. About 6 am an 80 foot tree feel, barely missing the house, neighbors house and 3 cars had minor damage. It basically fell perfectly to avoid horrible outcomes. From that day forward my parents and siblings listened to me without question when it came to weather

I posit about wind all the time cause I had 2 houses torn apart by tornadoes. And a school while in 5th grade. 

Wind is not my friend. Plus the way my house sits it’s a giant sail. 

5 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

There is a site that has all storms that generated a NESIS ranking going back 15 years I believe. It allows you to put in a location and a radius of say 100 miles and pull in all the snowfall amounts listed by spotter reports within that radius for each storm in an easy format for data collection. I’m thinking of doing it centered around kmdt to build a good data set of snowfall distributions and since each report has a long/lat I can built grids of say 10mi^2 or smaller to create a density map of accumulations in its most basic form. Depending on how deep I go with Python will determine what all I can do but I should be able to find some neat microclimate trends and hard data to support some of our theories here.

That would be awesome. Good luck mate. 

18 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Both March  2014 and 2015 I recorded(-1) and 0F respectively early in the month ofc. Probably never happen again .

Edit

March 6th 2015 (-1F)

March 1st 2014 (0F)

Harrisburg hit -1 during that March 2015 cold outbreak, its coldest March temp ever recorded.  I hit -3 at my house during that time.  The coldest temp I have ever recorded in my brief ten years of keeping data was -5.2 at 6:38am on January 1, 2018.  That was during a stretch of 14 consecutive days we had where the temp never reached freezing, one shy of the all-time record of 15.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

That data there is accepted as official and has been certified

To anyone using that NOWdata tab on the NWS site (https://w2.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=ctp), be sure to select "Harrisburg Area" as the location and not somewhere specific like MDT, so that you get all of the data compiled from the various Harrisburg reporting sites going back to 1888.