Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

MAG5035

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

There's potential for a significant weather event next weekend somewhere on the east coast. 

The masses buying their spring plants at Lowes today will be sad regardless if the CMC and Euro are correct with the Northern Stream dipping south of us. Will challenge for coldest nights of the season.   GFS starting to come around to this thought but still 10-15 degrees warmer than the other two.   Temps down south almost Super Storm of '93 level cold.  Not quite but close. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

The masses buying their spring plants at Lowes today will be sad regardless if the CMC and Euro are correct with the Northern Stream dipping south of us. Will challenge for coldest nights of the season.   GFS starting to come around to this thought but still 10-15 degrees warmer than the other two. 

Anyone who buys or plants before a March 20 or so basically deserves to lose it all.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

Anyone who buys or plants before a March 20 or so basically deserves to lose it all.   

Agreed but for some reason, probably Covid fatigue, the word has passed around that winter is over and spring has sprung. The line for mulch was 5-6 cars deep.  And that is in sleepy Waynesboro.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canderson said:

It’s like everything. People can’t wait to do things no matter what it is. They’re putting up Halloween decorations in September, Christmas trees up as soon as Halloween is over. Planting in March and early April. Then they can’t wait to get rid of it before it’s even over. A lot of people need that instant gratification. As soon as they achieve it then they’re on to something else. That’s why no one is ever satisfied with anything anymore. It’s a society of a lot of immature selfish individuals. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The pattern at the end of this week looks really interesting with low pressure in the gulf, -NAO, 50/50 low and ridging out west.

Hopefully we get a winter storm to track with this look on the 18z GEFS & EPS!

Winter temps come in with a vengeance (unless the GFS is right)... just need to moisture. Sunday to Sunday (next week) could be one of, if not the, coldest average weeks of the season.   CMC goes banana's with the cold.  5 nights in or near the teens at MDT. 

• Sad 1

I recorded .29” liquid from Friday night’s event and after much poking around I’m going with .5” snow.  Hey @Blizzard of 93 looks like MDT officially recorded a T of snow yesterday as you feared haha. This despite the PNS showing someone in Middletown reporting .4”. The beat goes on. Time for rain. 

1 hour ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I recorded .29” liquid from Friday night’s event and after much poking around I’m going with .5” snow.  Hey @Blizzard of 93 looks like MDT officially recorded a T of snow yesterday as you feared haha. This despite the PNS showing someone in Middletown reporting .4”. The beat goes on. Time for rain. 

Yes, awesome...”T” !

I guess the observer must have slept in yesterday....there should be at least .3 in the books based on everything else available. But, if you looked outside at 9am, you would have never knew that it snowed yesterday!

29 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

@Itstrainingtime
The next time that you do one of your hilarious “Day in the Life” posts for our group, please include a few lines that mention the MDT observer! 

Haha! That might be a fun little direction to take my little saga. :)

I will say that I take no issue with what they reported. Temps were above freezing for the "event". Being ON the river in a marginal situation will usually yield less snow than surrounding areas. As I said yesterday, I've been traveling along the river to work for nearly 25 years now, and there have been many times where I've had an inch or so at home only to see little or nothing right along the river. Low elevation plus the marginal temperatures and it's not a good recipe for snow accumulations. I only measured .7" myself, so a trace along the river seems right. Even our good friend in Carlisle had basically nothing, so it's not like everyone surrounding the airport were scoring significant amounts. Even the  .4" measurement from Middletown makes sense if you get away from the river and add some elevation.

I believe they know what they're doing and I think they do it right.

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Haha! That might be a fun little direction to take my little saga. :)

I will say that I take no issue with what they reported. Temps were above freezing for the "event". Being ON the river in a marginal situation will usually yield less snow than surrounding areas. As I said yesterday, I've been traveling along the river to work for nearly 25 years now, and there have been many times where I've had an inch or so at home only to see little or nothing right along the river. Low elevation plus the marginal temperatures and it's not a good recipe for snow accumulations. I only measured .7" myself, so a trace along the river seems right. Even our good friend in Carlisle had basically nothing, so it's not like everyone surrounding the airport were scoring significant amounts. Even the  .4" measurement from Middletown makes sense if you get away from the river and add some elevation.

I believe they know what they're doing and I think they do it right.

Thanks for the insight!

I’m sure that they know what they are doing. I just have some fun with it when I don’t get the results that I want for the Winter snow scoreboard!

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Thanks for the insight!

I’m sure that they know what they are doing. I just have some fun with it when I don’t get the results that I want for the Winter snow scoreboard!

Isn't it more important what you have in your own yard? :) If MDT reports 30" for the season and I measured 40"...I had 40'' for the season.

1 minute ago, Wmsptwx said:

Good attitude, but you wish it was snow lol.

For sure, but I've said it before many times - I am a fan of weather first and foremost. A lot of people are drawn to this forum as a result of a big snowstorm. My love of weather began with Agnes. I really do truly love rainy days no matter the season.

9 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

For sure, but I've said it before many times - I am a fan of weather first and foremost. A lot of people are drawn to this forum as a result of a big snowstorm. My love of weather began with Agnes. I really do truly love rainy days no matter the season.

We agree bro! I love big rainstorms, severe and tropical systems. Anything is better than long, boring, dry streaks.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Isn't it more important what you have in your own yard? :) If MDT reports 30" for the season and I measured 40"...I had 40'' for the season.

To me, I would rather MDT record more than my yard. I enjoy seeing what goes in the official record books. The official total at MDT is what the local news reports and what history will refer back to over the years.

43 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

To me, I would rather MDT record more than my yard. I enjoy seeing what goes in the official record books. The official total at MDT is what the local news reports and what history will refer back to over the years.

Fair enough  - but if I get 18" from a storm and MDT gets 6", I will remember that I got a foot and a half and not that the airport got a half foot. 

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Fair enough  - but if I get 18" from a storm and MDT gets 6", I will remember that I got a foot and a half and not that the airport got a half foot. 

That type of extreme difference would bother me for sure!
But if the difference is relatively close, I would rather it go down that MDT got 12 and my yard only got 10. 

11 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

That type of extreme difference would bother me for sure!
But if the difference is relatively close, I would rather it go down that MDT got 12 and my yard only got 10. 

Yeah, my point was rather extreme to be fair.

Interesting conversation though - I really don't, and have never paid much attention to what MDT reports. While I enjoy very much reading what others get, what matters most to me is what's outside my window. 

8 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yeah, my point was rather extreme to be fair.

Interesting conversation though - I really don't, and have never paid much attention to what MDT reports. While I enjoy very much reading what others get, what matters most to me is what's outside my window. 

It is very much a back yard game to most of us. I care what my yard gets and MDT measures.

Otherwise, it doesn’t matter to me what the rest of you measure! 

I have already accepted that @Cashtown_Coop will always win!

7 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

@psuhoffman and @losetoa6

It seems like the rest of the Mid Atlantic forum has declared winter to be over even though March only begins tomorrow.

Please post your thoughts in our thread. Most of us in here will track every snow flake until the end is really upon us!

Looks like this weeks chances are DOA. Hard to tell where we go after that.

22 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

@psuhoffman and @losetoa6

It seems like the rest of the Mid Atlantic forum has declared winter to be over even though March only begins tomorrow.

Please post your thoughts in our thread. Most of us in here will track every snow flake until the end is really upon us!

Arguably the coldest weather of the winter is on tap over the next 10 days.  Not much in the way of precip right now but it seems to me the MA people making their declarations are just looking at radar maps.   MDT is closing out Met winter having gone below 20 only 3 nights.  Euro has MDT getting down to or below 20 three times in the next 7-10 days....CMC has 6 times.