Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

MAG5035

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The Canadians are close to giving us snow Friday night.  Would be a very marginal situation but if one wants to track something....total qpf for the LSV.  Some of this QPF in North and West PA is from another event.  Did not look at the column but surface temps are 35-38ish as depicted right now. 

image.thumb.png.ff4356d6c8d54556e97112f1d25ffbdb.png

CMC and GFS a world difference. 

32 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Playing the hot hand.  Nam is setting up for white rain or snow as well.   Icon is also on board.  Regardless of horse shedding :P there may still be some winter left. 

Thats what I was getting at yesterday with all of the snows gone chatter... this week still looks like we hold on till the weekend, but beyond looks like lotsa 40's by day that will knock the stuffing outta the snowpack. 

3" total from yesterday's storm. And it's been snow flurries all morning with no accumulation on paved surfaces today.

Bubb I have been an over achiever this winter. I'm bored,  I'm ready for the ice to melt on the river and start fishing. 

You guys can still have a few snow storms.

6 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Thats what I was getting at yesterday with all of the snows gone chatter... this week still looks like we hold on till the weekend, but beyond looks like lotsa 40's by day that will knock the stuffing outta the snowpack. 

The snow is far from gone. We still have March and the beginning of April. Who remembers snow showers mid May last year? It’s been a nice old fashioned winter like in the 70s. Still think there’s more to come

4 minutes ago, pawatch said:

3" total from yesterday's storm. And it's been snow flurries all morning with no accumulation on paved surfaces today.

Bubb I have been an over achiever this winter. I'm bored,  I'm ready for the ice to melt on the river and start fishing. 

You guys can still have a few snow storms.

@pawatch, isn't that a phrase for April?  :-) 

12 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I don't think there was much "snows gone" chatter. I made a post that I believe I'd see bare ground by sunset tomorrow. Absolutely still believe that...there are areas in my yard right now that I'm down to about 3" and that will NOT through the day tomorrow. My shaded and more protected areas are in much better shape and will last a few additional days.

I also believe, and have been saying, that I don't think winter is done by any stretch. I think it WILL snow before we close the books. That doesn't change what will happen in my yard over the next couple of days. And snow melting aside, it's been an awesome winter. (which I've said multiple times recently) :) 

Speaking of ice on the river - even last winter, ever so briefly, there were a couple of days where I saw ice on the Susky heading back and forth to work. This is the first year in my life (I'm 55 and have lived within a few miles of the river since birth) that I have not seen ANY river ice at all. 

37" of snow with zero ice on the river - that's a neat little trick right there. 

Speaking of ice on the river - even last winter, ever so briefly, there were a couple of days where I saw ice on the Susky heading back and forth to work. This is the first year in my life (I'm 55 and have lived within a few miles of the river since birth) that I have not seen ANY river ice at all. 
37" of snow with zero ice on the river - that's a neat little trick right there. 

Other than a 2 foot snowstorm, my perfect winter!!

I just like to be cold enough. And I’m a big game (snow) hunter.

2016 was a perfect season.

19 minutes ago, paweather said:

@pawatchWhat bubbler said, and go ice fishing now LOL probably not strong enough ice to do it. 

They've been doing it for weeks in Wellsboro....just sayin.  Went by the other week and it made me think of Grumpy Old Men movie w/ Walter Matthau.  Love that movie.  they had huts/tents set up on the ice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

Other than a 2 foot snowstorm, my perfect winter!!

I just like to be cold enough. And I’m a big game (snow) hunter.

2016 was a perfect season.

I could not agree with you more. I do like it cold, but I also despise warm weather during the winter. The lack of a real thaw has been incredible this season - even when the ground was bare and it wasn't snowing, it wasn't far off, either. At no point this winter did it really feel like anything else. 

17 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I don't think there was much "snows gone" chatter. I made a post that I believe I'd see bare ground by sunset tomorrow. Absolutely still believe that...there are areas in my yard right now that I'm down to about 3" and that will NOT through the day tomorrow. My shaded and more protected areas are in much better shape and will last a few additional days.

I also believe, and have been saying, that I don't think winter is done by any stretch. I think it WILL snow before we close the books. That doesn't change what will happen in my yard over the next couple of days. And snow melting aside, it's been an awesome winter. (which I've said multiple times recently) :) 

"Right now, my perception is that the snow is melting like crazy and I see no way this survives the next 48 hours. Tomorrow alone will kill a lot of this off. It's been a terrific run the past several weeks." 

Sounded like a general statement....not an MBY statement.  Guess I read it wrong.  My bad.  Carry on.  

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I could not agree with you more. I do like it cold, but I also despise warm weather during the winter. The lack of a real thaw has been incredible this season - even when the ground was bare and it wasn't snowing, it wasn't far off, either. At no point this winter did it really feel like anything else. 

I think I had commented before that it seems the Christmas heat wave is being forgotten?  It hit 70 here Christmas Eve and 67 the day of...not really a thaw but yuck just the same.  Was fairly chilly during the evenings though.   But that was really the only push of heat which was great this season. 

23 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

We’ve had ice in the river up here for quite a while. 

31 minutes ago, pirates21 said:

The snow is far from gone. We still have March and the beginning of April. Who remembers snow showers mid May last year? It’s been a nice old fashioned winter like in the 70s. Still think there’s more to come

There is no doubt in my mind that some northers and westers will have snow for a couple weeks yet.  Yes, it'll get spotty, but I can almost guarantee I'll hear of snowmobiling in certain areas into mid March.  This is the first year in my time doing it, that we've had rideable snow/conditions from day 1 until now.  Been a fantastic run.  I walk down to my porch at the cabin.  Snow is DEEP there.  Over 20" and dense.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I think I had commented before that it seems the Christmas heat wave is being forgotten?  It hit 70 here Christmas Eve and 67 the day of...not really a thaw but yuck just the same.  Was fairly chilly during the evenings though.   But that was really the only push of heat which was great this season. 

I've also said it several times....it feels/felt? like a normal/real winter around here. Thats been a HUGE + in my book and to trainers point, we never really torched or thawed once we got rollin.  I cant take the cold like i used to...arthritis sucks, but I can take it just cold enough to snow and hold it....like this winter. 

If this is the new norm....sign my  sorry ass right up for it.  I'll take 40 more please.

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

I've also said it several times....it feels/felt? like a normal/real winter around here. Thats been a HUGE + in my book and to trainers point, we never really torched or thawed once we got rollin.  I cant take the cold like i used to...arthritis sucks, but I can take it just cold enough to snow and hold it....like this winter. 

If this is the new norm....sign my  sorry ass right up for it.  I'll take 40 more please.

Me too bro, me too. 

I pulled out this morning and all the snow piles along road, driveway and walks gave me perma grin

All this talk of ice and frozen lakes and whatnot, I just wanted to throw out there that my buddies and I were playing cornhole on the middle of a frozen lake in the Poconos this past weekend.  The ice was at least a foot thick with nearly a foot of snow laying on top of it.  It was an F'ing awesome experience.

• Like 6