Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

MAG5035

@Cashtown_Coop

Please ask your friends at CTP how they only got 3.6 inches of snow out of .39 precip today that was all snow according to the 5 pm daily summary???

Yes, I understand ratios, but many surrounding reports were over 4 inches near MDT.

I want 20 inches at MDT... with the 3.6, they are only sitting at 19.7 for the month...!

The CTP guys seem to like you... please try to get this fixed! We still have time until the official daily summary goes in overnight!

I understand this is super trivial, but I am just having some fun with this... kind of...sort of...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

@Cashtown_Coop

Please ask your friends at CTP how they only got 3.6 inches of snow out of .39 precip today that was all snow according to the 5 pm daily summary???

Yes, I understand ratios, but many surrounding reports were over 4 inches near MDT.

I want 20 inches at MDT... with the 3.6, they are only sitting at 19.7 for the month...!

The CTP guys seem to like you... please try to get this fixed! We still have time until the official daily summary goes in overnight!

I understand this is super trivial, but I am just having some fun with this... kind of...sort of...

Blizz!  LOL.  This post made me laugh (in a good way).  You have not been hard enough on them this year.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CarlislePaWx said:

For the few of you who melt down your snow, such as @Cashtown_Coop, I'd love to hear from you.  I think you'd all be interested to know that this storm had the highest SLR of any event this season.  I measured 2.8" of pure snow and it melted down to 0.20" of liquid.  This produced a ratio of exactly 14 : 1.  I don't think any other event this winter had a ratio that high.  Most of my other events were all around 10:1.  So, another anomaly from this storm.

My 5” was from 0.46” liquid 

8 hours ago, CarlislePaWx said:

For the few of you who melt down your snow, such as @Cashtown_Coop, I'd love to hear from you.  I think you'd all be interested to know that this storm had the highest SLR of any event this season.  I measured 2.8" of pure snow and it melted down to 0.20" of liquid.  This produced a ratio of exactly 14 : 1.  I don't think any other event this winter had a ratio that high.  Most of my other events were all around 10:1.  So, another anomaly from this storm.

I’m right there with you at 14:1, measured .25” liquid off of my 3.5” snow total. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I’m right there with you at 14:1, measured .25” liquid off of my 3.5” snow total. 

Thanks for chiming in.  Interesting that you and I had 14:1 while Cashtown was around 11:1.  I know ratios can vary substantially, so no big deal.  But I'm glad to see that someone else (you) did report a similar measurement.

2 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Thanks for chiming in.  Interesting that you and I had 14:1 while Cashtown was around 11:1.  I know ratios can vary substantially, so no big deal.  But I'm glad to see that someone else (you) did report a similar measurement.

Yet somehow... MDT had LESS than a 10 to 1 ratio per my post above!

Just parsed over tellies for next few weeks, and I'd say get your wintering in this week, cause AO/NAO look to be headed north aoa +1 and PNA -1.  That combo says zonal Pac flow w/ no blocking.  Not a good look IMO w/ big ones cutting for the midwest where I'd bet they blizzard a couple times on W/NW sides

Warmies are getting warmed up.... But I still think snow holds for some/many here.  Yes I'm sure someone will post their brown lawn pic and say I'm wrong, but in general, temps look ok to hold into weekend....till then, play in it as much as you can.  I know I'm gonna.

Just now, pasnownut said:

Just parsed over tellies for next few weeks, and I'd say get your wintering in this week, cause AO/NAO look to be headed north aoa +1 and PNA -1.  That combo says zonal Pac flow w/ no blocking.  Not a good look IMO.  

Warmies are getting warmed up.... But I still think snow holds for some/many here.  Yes I'm sure someone will post their brown lawn pic and say I'm wrong, but in general, temps look ok to hold into weekend....till then, play in it as much as you can.  I know I'm gonna.

I'm still holding out hope that we get at least a brief reprieve and a better look heading toward mid March. I'm expecting a 1993 redux this year. :) 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

27 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Just parsed over tellies for next few weeks, and I'd say get your wintering in this week, cause AO/NAO look to be headed north aoa +1 and PNA -1.  That combo says zonal Pac flow w/ no blocking.  Not a good look IMO w/ big ones cutting for the midwest where I'd bet they blizzard a couple times on W/NW sides

I don't think the end of next week looks that bad. Once we get through the weekend hopefully a good thump, then warms again for a bit but think we will still have multiple chances coming up. Of course we could lose all of them and have no wins but let's see. I'll be out of the country March 12 to the 21 so book it now my major snowstorm. LOL. 

9 hours ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Didn't they have a bit more sleet down that way?  Would also perhaps suggest a wetter snow at times for them being closer to the mix line.  We had no sleet until the very end and it only lasted a few minutes and was so light it would not have meaningfully contributed to the total.  SLRs can be so tough though, just checked Cocorahs and even within the same counties values can be all over the map.  I also don't fully trust that my gauge catches everything frozen, just a hunch that it may slightly undercount in snow events.  I did not do a core sample for this event.

2 hours ago, Mshaffer526 said:

@Mount Joy SnowmanWhen I saw the OBS in the LNP this morning, I assumed the Mt. Joy one was you. :D

20210223-064838.jpg

Haha nope not I.  I've always just kept my own records, never reported to anywhere like Cocorahs, NWS Co-op/spotters, etc.  Thought about it plenty but never pulled the trigger.  I only had 3.5" but I'm like 4 miles SSE of town at a very low spot, whereas I suspect that person is somewhere well north of town more towards the Manheim area.  I believe they did a bit better with the totals up that way, they usually do.  I take it the Gap report is you?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I'm still holding out hope that we get at least a brief reprieve and a better look heading toward mid March. I'm expecting a 1993 redux this year. :) 

Boy that would be nice.  From the little I've payed attention of late, I've seen a few mentions of a late blocking episode, but it has to be strato driven, because nothing I see says that....but then again, I'm not very smart.

41 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Didn't they have a bit more sleet down that way?  Would also perhaps suggest a wetter snow at times for them being closer to the mix line.  We had no sleet until the very end and it only lasted a few minutes and was so light it would not have meaningfully contributed to the total.  SLRs can be so tough though, just checked Cocorahs and even within the same counties values can be all over the map.  I also don't fully trust that my gauge catches everything frozen, just a hunch that it may slightly undercount in snow events.  I did not do a core sample for this event.

Haha nope not I.  I've always just kept my own records, never reported to anywhere like Cocorahs, NWS Co-op/spotters, etc.  Thought about it plenty but never pulled the trigger.  I only had 3.5" but I'm like 4 miles SSE of town at a very low spot, whereas I suspect that person is somewhere well north of town more towards the Manheim area.  I believe they did a bit better with the totals up that way, they usually do.  I take it the Gap report is you?

I report my totals to the MU Weather Center - Maytown is well represented...there are 2 of us that report totals. I used to report them to Mr. Horst, I'm not sure who gets them now, but I'm still reporting and they're still available for the public to view. 

• Like 1

NYZ015-016-022>025-055-PAZ038-043-044-047-231700-
Yates-Seneca-Steuben-Schuyler-Chemung-Tompkins-Tioga-Bradford-
Wyoming-Lackawanna-Luzerne-
859 AM EST Tue Feb 23 2021

...Light accumulating snow through the late morning...

An area of light to moderate snow will accumulate up to an inch
per hour through the late morning. Snow totals up to 1 to 2
inches are possible, leading to slick roadways. Visibility may
also drop below a mile in the heaviest areas of snow. The snow
will start to mix in with rain and taper off into the late
morning.

While out driving, allow for extra time to reach your destination.