• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

MAG5035

Good night gents and good luck to everyone in the morning.  Latest from Horst.......

(1/2) This is one of those winter systems where just 25 - 50 miles will make a big difference in what accumulates. As I see things this evening, the system is stringing out under a rocking upper-level jet w/ less-than-expected right entrance region support. The result may be...

(2/2) ...a slight southward shift, perhaps less icy mix (here in Lanco), and a slight reduction in max snowfall amounts. Need to wait & see where the best (narrow) snow band sets up in the AM...but for now no reason to change my earlier idea of 4-8" (Rt 30 north) and 2-5" south.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Good night gents and good luck to everyone in the morning.  Latest from Horst.......

(1/2) This is one of those winter systems where just 25 - 50 miles will make a big difference in what accumulates. As I see things this evening, the system is stringing out under a rocking upper-level jet w/ less-than-expected right entrance region support. The result may be...

(2/2) ...a slight southward shift, perhaps less icy mix (here in Lanco), and a slight reduction in max snowfall amounts. Need to wait & see where the best (narrow) snow band sets up in the AM...but for now no reason to change my earlier idea of 4-8" (Rt 30 north) and 2-5" south.

Great writeup. I think this is so a game time decision and really not a forecast. 

2 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

i've been thinking the harrisburg area gets way less since that's just how the patterns been the past few weeks. we've ended up with way less snow/ice/sleet than modeled or forecast each time lol so wouldnt surprise me if this happens again and we get way less than the 6-9 inches called for. really sucks that none of these storms have been overachievers here

Just now, TheDreamTraveler said:

i've been thinking the harrisburg area gets way less since that's just how the patterns been the past few weeks. we've ended up with way less snow/ice/sleet than modeled or forecast each time lol so wouldnt surprise me if this happens again and we get way less than the 6-9 inches called for. really sucks that none of these storms have been overachievers here

There is always one. Just watch the snow come down. 

• Like 1

I didn't even notice they cut our amount down from 6-9 inches to up to 6 inches in the latest winter storm warning update. i had a feeling. was going to mention it yesterday but didn't want to drag down peoples excitement. kinda annoying every time we get to the final run with these storms it ends up being less. 6in is still decent. there's always a chance we could overperform especially since where it sets up is pretty crucial but keeping my expectations in check

51 minutes ago, pirates21 said:

Starting to pick up pretty good over on the other side of the city Mag. I’m near 99. Covering cars now

Yep same over here, a nice moderate pixie dust snow for now. Getting this early swath of snow to set over the area is gonna be a big part of hopefully getting pretty well into our forecast range of the advisory (3-7"). I think we're in pretty good shape. There's a patch of some more enhanced echoes on radar over JST that should try to shift this way here within the next hour or so. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Much better flakes now and moderate-heavy rate. Binocular check of the snowboard with the flood light on already looks like over a half inch. 

Just was outside. Coming down at a very nice rate right now. Quickly approaching an inch. Looks like this two parter could last well into tomorrow evening 

Moderate snow and 24ºF. Midnight measurement is 1.3" of straight powder snow in a bit under 2 hrs since it got going. Not too bad considering the near term stuff late this afternoon and early evening didn't have this even starting here until about now or a bit later. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Moderate snow and 24ºF. Midnight measurement is 1.3" of straight powder snow in a bit under 2 hrs since it got going. Not too bad considering the near term stuff late this afternoon and early evening didn't have this even starting here until about now or a bit later. 

Well, speaking of delayed starts...the current 04Z run of the HRRR doesn't have accumulating snow reaching MDT until 9:30am and its first inch until 11:00am.

2 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Well, speaking of delayed starts...the current 04Z run of the HRRR doesn't have accumulating snow reaching MDT until 9:30am and its first inch until 11:00am.

The next run will show 3 inches by 11 am and then the next run will show partly cloudy with a high of 60 at the same time.

The hourly swings on the HRRR are bizarre.