Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

MAG5035

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yes, he's not afraid to go against ALL guidance...and he's usually spot on OR even he underplays the advancement of the warmth aloft.

Sterling is going 6-8" in Harford and Cecil counties, hence my post that someone is going to bust. 

Someone always does!  The next time a storm comes along where nobody busts low will be the first time :lol:

And yes Eric is the best, seems to understand our local climo much better than the NWS guys.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yep the man knows.  This is what I was getting at earlier with the near-term Meso models picking up on the sleet intrusion as we progress through the day.  The resolutions of the globals always struggle with those narrow layers.  Already seeing that a bit with the NAM, even more so with the 3k.  Hopefully those of us north of 30 can stave it off until the heaviest rates have come through, which it seems we will.

Yep 3k NAM is showing pretty strong push of warm air around 700mb that would really knock down totals across MD/southeast PA as sleet 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, djr5001 said:

Yep 3k NAM is showing pretty strong push of warm air around 700mb that would really knock down totals across MD/southeast PA as sleet 

Yeah the other Hi-res models like the ARW, NMMB, NSSL, etc. are starting to pick up on this as well.  They're quite useful in this regard.  Luckily most of the heaviest precip should fall before any changeover so we should be fine for a potent front-end thump.  Gonna be a fun morning!

1 minute ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yeah the other Hi-res models like the ARW, NMMB, NSSL, etc. are starting to pick up on this as well.  They're quite useful in this regard.  Luckily most of the heaviest precip should fall before any changeover so we should be fine for a potent front-end thump.  Gonna be a fun morning!

I am wondering now more on the coastal interaction at this point. Overrunning is a given and where we will get our accums. But up this way if we can get the coastal involvement as the 12K suggest we might be looking at double digits in snowfall totals. 

7 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

HMM...looked a tick colder to me.  Yes, its a thin line as always down here, but thermally I looped both 6/12z and 12 at 700 is slightly better for LSV battleground.  May just be noise and could tick north tonight anyway, but Im ok w/ what it shows verbatim.

6z

6znam3km_T700_neus_38.png

12z

nam3km_T700_neus_32.png

4 minutes ago, paweather said:

I am wondering now more on the coastal interaction at this point. Overrunning is a given and where we will get our accums. But up this way if we can get the coastal involvement as the 12K suggest we might be looking at double digits in snowfall totals. 

That's the big X-factor at this point.  I like the idea of some coastal interaction, just not sure how impressive it will be.  All of the guidance allowing for it at this point seems to suggest that the wrap-around bands would be very light in nature.  1-2" of additional snow over the course of 12 hours wouldn't be very impactful but it would certainly pretty-up the scene ha.  Lord knows we'll take whatever we can get.

That's the big X-factor at this point.  I like the idea of some coastal interaction, just not sure how impressive it will be.  All of the guidance allowing for it at this point seems to suggest that the wrap-around bands would be very light in nature.  1-2" of additional snow over the course of 12 hours wouldn't be very impactful but it would certainly pretty-up the scene ha.  Lord knows we'll take whatever we can get.

A little reminiscent of a few weeks ago with when the storm that "tucked" but the bands became lighter over the two days.  This will not be two days but similar types of snows from any coastal. 

3 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

HMM...looked a tick colder to me.  Yes, its a thin line as always down here, but thermally I looped both 6/12z and 12 at 700 is slightly better for LSV battleground.  May just be noise and could tick north tonight anyway, but Im ok w/ what it shows verbatim.

6z

6znam3km_T700_neus_38.png

12z

nam3km_T700_neus_32.png

Yeah probably just run to run model noise but a fine line indeed.  Agree with being fine with where we sit and letting the chips fall as they may.  I'm at a low elevation spot here near route 30 and the sleet monster almost always bites me.  Typically, once Lancaster City flips I know I'm toast within ten minutes or so.  Just part of the deal around here more times than not anymore but a boy can hope!

4 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yeah probably just run to run model noise but a fine line indeed.  Agree with being fine with where we sit and letting the chips fall as they may.  I'm at a low elevation spot here near route 30 and the sleet monster almost always bites me.  Typically, once Lancaster City flips I know I'm toast within ten minutes or so.  Just part of the deal around here more times than not anymore but a boy can hope!

I may have an extra 15 min after your 10 min, as I'm 10 miles north of Lanc city so I get ya.  I know it sounds trivial to parse over but where you and I live, makes a BIG difference.  Our northern/western brethren just dont know how good they have it....lol.

and to add to this, I cant tell you how many times (like currently) that when I drive from Akron to Lancaster (down 222), then get on 283 and head to Etown, you can see how we have snow, and Lanc city loses it, then you see it building back towards Etown.  

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

I may have an extra 15 min after your 10 min, as I'm 10 miles north of Lanc city so I get ya.  I know it sounds trivial to parse over but where you and I live, makes a BIG difference.  Our northern/western brethren just dont know how good they have it....lol.

It is a fine line between getting the goods and being too far west.  With that said Cashtown and I have been doing fairly well the last 5-10 years with that battle. 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

It is a fine line between getting the goods and being too far west.  With that said Cashtown and I have been doing fairly well the last 5-10 years with that battle. 

You may think I'm crazy, but sometimes its worse getting rain/zr/sleet.... while you snow.  Sometimes I'd almost rather nothing, than missing out while someone close by "cashes in". 

Mind you thats living all but 5 yrs of my life down here, so I've seen it so many times, I'm used to riding the razors edge, and getting cut just gets old.  Thats all.    

9 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

and to add to this, I cant tell you how many times (like currently) that when I drive from Akron to Lancaster (down 222), then get on 283 and head to Etown, you can see how we have snow, and Lanc city loses it, then you see it building back towards Etown.  

I'm 5 miles south of Elizabethtown - I can't tell you how many times the landscape has been whiter in Bear country and then down here in the land of the Tribe. 

In these situations - latitude, and to some extent longitude absolutely matter. 

Just now, pasnownut said:

You may think I'm crazy, but sometimes its worse getting rain/zr/sleet.... while you snow.  Sometimes I'd almost rather nothing, than missing out while someone close by "cashes in". 

Mind you thats living all but 5 yrs of my life down here, so I've seen it so many times, I'm used to riding the razors edge, and getting cut just gets old.  Thats all.    

LOL on the bolded.  But I totally agree with you.  There have not been many of those MDT and East snow storms lately. 

CTP is super, super bullish. 

Tonight
Snow, mainly after 3am. Low around 23. Light and variable wind. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
Thursday
Snow. High near 28. East wind 5 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
Thursday Night
Snow. Low around 26. Northeast wind 3 to 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Friday
Snow likely, mainly before 7am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 35. Northwest wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

7 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

You aint kiddin.  Although the MA folks would argue they have it worse and they wouldn't be wrong haha.

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

You guys are in a good spot out there, longitude seems to matter more than latitude more times than not around here and obviously with anything having a coastal element to it.  Not to mention your extra elevation never hurts the cause.  Elevation is everything, so they say, eeeerrrrrr, someone says it, maybe it's just me ha.

You aint kiddin.  Although the MA folks would argue they have it worse and they wouldn't be wrong haha.

You guys are in a good spot out there, longitude seems to matter more than latitude more times than not around here and obviously with anything having a coastal element to it.  Not to mention your extra elevation never hurts the cause.  Elevation is everything, so they say, eeeerrrrrr, someone says it, maybe it's just me ha.

Elevation definitely helps enhance what we get.  

Crazy reading the last page or 2 how close so many of us are geographically yet experience such different results this time of year.  Whenever covid eases, we should have a gathering.  I can only imagine how different most of us are in person versus how we are perceived on this board.

• Like 1