Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

MAG5035

2 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I don’t trust the 6 hour NAM....let alone the 84 hour....Remember the Wednesday 18z run that gave us 6 to 8 inches of snow that was beginning within a few hours?Most of the LSV ended up with 2 or 3 inches.

The Euro is not quite what is used to be...but it is still the best around....buy a long shot.

I remember the 0z GFS that you posted hours later that gave Carlisle 9" of snow that night. NAM has been doing better than given credit for. It has serious issues just like every other model. I'm waiting patiently for my 40 something inches the Euro was giving me earlier this week.

Only post I will make on this. 

Let's hope this week trends better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

The nam short range “it’s wheelhouse” has sniffed out trends before the big boys caught on.  It’s been decent this year IMO 

True. I just think when you look at this week overall every model is all over the place. 18z ICON is a rain storm for the LSV Monday/Tuesday. 

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I remember the 0z GFS that you posted hours later that gave Carlisle 9" of snow that night. NAM has been doing better than given credit for. It has serious issues just like every other model. I'm waiting patiently for my 40 something inches the Euro was giving me earlier this week.

Only post I will make on this. 

Let's hope this week trends better.

Exactly...I couldn’t believe how the models bumped totals Wednesday afternoon and evening as the storm was beginning, only to see much less verify by the next morning.

Also, yes, all of the major ensembles earlier this week we’re producing large amounts of snow day after day, run after run. Things have deteriorated the last couple of days, but we still have to get to game time on Tuesday & Thursday to see what will verify.

60 hours is an eternity in this pattern with so much on the table. There is much to still be decided.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I agree, but the long range NAM... please...

There is no long range Nam.  It's the Nam.  It goes to 84 hours.    The Nam at 12Z was a compromise between the all rain GFS and the Frz Euro so its soundings are just as valid as any other model.    The question was why was the Euro not showing sleet and if anyone had more soundings from the Euro and I pointed out that the Nam was above freezing for just over 700 the whole way to the surface.  That is a long way for sleet to survive so the Euro may have been similar. 

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

There is no long range Nam.  It's the Nam.  It goes to 84 hours.    The Nam at 12Z was a compromise between the all rain GFS and the Frz Euro so its soundings are just as valid as any other model.    The question was why was the Euro not showing sleet and if anyone had more soundings from the Euro and I pointed out that the Nam was above freezing for just over 700 the whole way to the surface.  That is a long way for sleet to survive so the Euro may have been similar. 

The NAM at 18z was a big dry slot mess. 

• Like 1

For our big storm 2 weekends ago, I looked just looked at what the NAM and the Euro were depicting for Maytown 24 hours out:

• NAM: 11"
  • Euro: 26"
  • My final total - 12"

I know that @paweather was riding the Euro really hard and ended up disappointed. 

It's only 1 storm,  but it's interesting that the Euro was WAY snowier than reality. This is specific to my locale.

Okay, carry on! 

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

For our big storm 2 weekends ago, I looked just looked at what the NAM and the Euro were depicting for Maytown 24 hours out:

• NAM: 11"
  • Euro: 26"
  • My final total - 12"

I know that @paweather was riding the Euro really hard and ended up disappointed. 

It's only 1 storm,  but it's interesting that the Euro was WAY snowier than reality. This is specific to my locale.

Okay, carry on! 

Yep. I was and again need to be reminded (Thank You) That in years past the EURO was or seemed to always be the king in winter times patterns so I need to make sure I don't get sucked into it as I was in the past with what it is showing. 

I’d pay careful attention to the temp tomorrow and especially tomorrow night. Forecast high is 42. Let’s see if we get below forcast low of 31. I’m trying to remember how many times we have had a rainstorm with a weak low going south of us, a high over Quebec, artic air close. I don’t know. I do know long term climo says low level cold is a bitch to scour out in the LSV, especially Cumberland county.

I’m also now under a WAA that every model has down by Richmond 36 hours ago

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Here is the 12z EPS low track clusters for the Tuesday storm. If this is right... the low will track well to our south and exit off of the DelMarVa..

I agree with CTP that anyone from the I-81 corridor on north & west is still in the game for more snow & sleet vs. freezing rain.

B77E1228-1900-4419-AAAC-4E9DB2E34238.png

70B1BEB6-B578-4545-AA57-6CC28870C955.png

24EE2861-5C2C-47CD-BC2B-A4C498BF1299.png

@MAG5035 , @MillvilleWx , @AllWeather

Please let us know your thoughts on the precip type battle that is setting up for Tuesday.

With this track & all of the cold air close by, do you think that the I-81 corridor on west would have a chance to get more snow/sleet vs. freezing rain?

8 minutes ago, paweather said:

I didn't say it showed Ice. But I think you mean the opposite. The ICON does show ICE due to temps but it doesn't correlate that into the model run for the LSV. 

I meant in general on the Tropical Tidbits site, it only ever shows rain or snow. 
It is not programmed to show ICE in general.

This set up screams Ice potential!

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, I saw.  It seems models are really having trouble with any specifics right now.  As Itstraining pointed out its the trends that are negative but still fun tracking.  Does not look all that good for snow right now though. 

Interesting week for sure. I think NW PA is definitely a winner in Snow category and everyone else is just trying to figure out ptypes as it plays out.  

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, I saw.  It seems models are really having trouble with any specifics right now.  As Itstraining pointed out its the trends that are negative but still fun tracking.  Does not look all that good for snow right now though. 

Yes, for our back yards at the moment ...but to CTP’s point, you don’t need to go too far to get into good snow. The 6 inch snow line is currently around State College & Selinsgrove on the Euro and other models recently.