Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

MAG5035

Just now, Jns2183 said:

I’m sorry folks. I can feel it in my gut, and in my pelvis fractures from getting nipped by a car. We are going to see our first major ice storm in 10 or 20 years.

That would be unfortunate.  I know unique and dramatic weather is fun but being out of power for a week is not.  

• Like 1

LSV question...are folks really strict in what qualifies as the LSV?  Its officially a river basin but a lot of people consider the LSV to be a more of a region and to that point the NWS used to consider the LSV to be All of Adams, Berks, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Lancaster, Lebanon, Perry and York Counties.  Do not have a contact there anymore so not sure if that still stands.    River basin wise it is a portion of all those counties plus small portions of Chester and Schuylkill.

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

LSV question...are folks really strict in what qualifies as the LSV?  Its officially a river basin but a lot of people consider the LSV to be a more of a region and to that point the NWS used to consider the LSV to be All of Adams, Berks, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Lancaster, Lebanon, Perry and York Counties.  Do not have a contact there anymore so not sure if that still stands.    River basin wise it is a portion of all those counties plus small portions of Chester and Schuylkill.

They did put out a map out of the CWA on FB and/or their website indicating the regions and their boundaries, but I don't know if it's still available or not.

Just now, Voyager said:

They did put out a map out of the CWA on FB and/or their website indicating the regions and their boundaries, but I don't know if it's still available or not.

That would be interesting to see that if someone has it or finds it.  Many where i live say they live in the LSV though technically we are about 20 miles southwest of the river basin line.  

29 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

I’m sorry folks. I can feel it in my gut, and in my pelvis fractures from getting nipped by a car. We are going to see our first major ice storm in 10 or 20 years.

lets hope not

27 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

That would be unfortunate.  I know unique and dramatic weather is fun but being out of power for a week is not.  

i like extremes, but agree, screw that

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Blizz, I saw your "crazy face" emoticon.  Here is the 6Z GFS panel showing rain with a storm sweeping under us coming out of the Lwr Miss Valley.  Disappointing that depiction would not at least dump on us at the start but the system from today is not pushing the boundary back like we had hoped. 

image.png.993aa65a594f3c52beec60cf41aaa2bf.pngimage.png.b93b1ad76f902e9cd9c72b55f6d285f9.png

Don’t wanna agree but fear you are correct. Where the boundary goes after each event is the key to it all. Like mag suggested tho the warm nose looks to be small so let’s hope n pray that more sleet is what we get. Hate ZR. 

As a bartender this past year has been about as hard as possible just making ends meet without blowing up savings. I don’t need ice to make work any slower. Plus stone slabs for a walkway are a bitch in ice. I just have my gut screaming at me to buy a generator

4 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

As a bartender this past year has been about as hard as possible just making ends meet without blowing up savings. I don’t need ice to make work any slower. Plus stone slabs for a walkway are a bitch in ice. I just have my gut screaming at me to buy a generator

Not a quick fix but Generac House models are the bomb if you have a house though the making ends meet part probably precludes that.  I know being in any kind of hospitality sucks right now.  Sorry man. 

2 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

so what do you all do to prepare for severe weather?

We used to be on a well so we always had a ton of extra water because the well is off if the power goes off.  We also buy ice and have a lot of those insulated foam like boxes that you might get from a home delivery beef place.  We can then replicate our fridge for days using those...if the power is off. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

IMO, .50” is when you start getting into trouble.  Sure .25” can take down limbs and a dead ash tree but .50” is the threshold for widespread tree and power line damage and impactful power outages.  

80554815-4A0D-4D5C-85B6-75786ACD3A59.jpeg

Agreed. .5-.75 is the danger zone. Anything over .75 is catastrophic. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Depending on how far below freezing the rain falls dictates how fast the accrual process is.  Currently, with MDT forecast to get 0.87" of freezing rain, it is highly unlikely that all of that rain ends up accruing.  If the temp is 30 you won't get anywhere near 0.87" of accrual.  I have no idea how cold it would have to be to even reach 0.50" of accretion.  25 degrees?  20 degrees?  Actually, another factor affecting accretion would be the intensity of the rain.  Light rain has a much higher chance to accrue versus moderate or heavy rain.

I’m riding in the CTP point & click train. This is the current forecast for Harrisburg International Airport (MDT) for this week.

Monday Night
A chance of snow, freezing rain, and sleet before 1am, then snow and sleet. Low around 26. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than one inch possible. 
Tuesday
Snow and sleet likely, possibly mixed with freezing rain, mainly before 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 15.
Wednesday
Partly sunny, with a high near 31.
Wednesday Night
A chance of snow after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Thursday
Snow. High near 36. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Just now, Blizzard of 93 said:

I’m riding in the CTP point & click train. This is the current forecast for Harrisburg International Airport (MDT) for this week.

Monday Night
A chance of snow, freezing rain, and sleet before 1am, then snow and sleet. Low around 26. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than one inch possible. 
Tuesday
Snow and sleet likely, possibly mixed with freezing rain, mainly before 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 15.
Wednesday
Partly sunny, with a high near 31.
Wednesday Night
A chance of snow after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Thursday
Snow. High near 36. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Sounds like the GFS came in really warm for Tuesday and Thursday.

I’ll also ride this HWO train from CTP.

Hazardous Weather Outlook

Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service State College PA
449 AM EST Sat Feb 13 2021

PAZ024>028-033>036-050>053-056>059-063>066-141000-
Cambria-Blair-Huntingdon-Mifflin-Juniata-Somerset-Bedford-Fulton-
Franklin-Snyder-Montour-Northumberland-Columbia-Perry-Dauphin-
Schuylkill-Lebanon-Cumberland-Adams-York-Lancaster-
449 AM EST Sat Feb 13 2021

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for central Pennsylvania.

.DAY ONE...Today and tonight.

Patchy light snow and sleet accumulation and possible spotty ice
glaze is possible Saturday afternoon or evening.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Sunday through Friday.
A pair of winter storms could bring significant snow and ice Monday
into Tuesday and Thursday into Friday.

40 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Depending on how far below freezing the rain falls dictates how fast the accrual process is.  Currently, with MDT forecast to get 0.87" of freezing rain, it is highly unlikely that all of that rain ends up accruing.  If the temp is 30 you won't get anywhere near 0.87" of accrual.  I have no idea how cold it would have to be to even reach 0.50" of accretion.  25 degrees?  20 degrees?  Actually, another factor affecting accretion would be the intensity of the rain.  Light rain has a much higher chance to accrue versus moderate or heavy rain.

Correct, the heavier the rate the less accretion. 

More from CTP this morning 

SYNOPSIS... Quiet conditions expected into Saturday morning spotty light mixed precipitation is possible late Saturday through Saturday night. A pair of winter storms could bring significant snow and ice Monday- Tuesday and Thursday- Friday. Temperatures are forecast to remain below average into the second half of February.

One final thing from CTP for now...

LONG TERM /SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY/... An active weather pattern will continue into the long-term, as Pennsylvania remains in the vicinity of baroclinic zone between an anomalous upper-level trough over the Plains states and a ridge off of the East Coast. Latest model guidance suggests that another period of light snow (possibly a light mix across the southeast) is in store for Monday, associated with jet streak over the St Lawrence Valley and associated fgen forcing over PA.

The bigger concern comes Monday night into early Tuesday, however, with a wave of low pressure lifting out of the Gulf of Mexico. This moisture-laden system will ride northward along the spine of the Appalachians before transferring energy to the Mid-Atlantic Coast on Tues, and it should bring a swath of significant snow to some portion of central PA, with a wintry mix once again possible across the south. This system will exit the area later Tues, followed by a brief period of fair and seasonable weather for Wednesday as upper level ridging builds into the region.

By late week, medium range guidance is indicating another significant area of low pressure will track northward from the Gulf Coast towards PA. Given that this storm is still 7 days away, it`s still a little early to pin down the exact track of the low and resulting ptypes.

Sounds like the GFS came in really warm for Tuesday and Thursday.

I trust the HRRR and 3k-NAM inside 18 hours.
Seems like the rest are having an epically horrible time separating the signal from the noise.

I’ve been telling people that unless it’s within 24 hours to ignore any and all forecasts