Newest Member
    Dano62
February Observations Thread

kvegas-wx

Allan Huffman

@RaleighWx

·

6h

For January, RDU actually averaged -0.01 F below normal For Dec/Jan so far RDU averaging -0.016 below the 30Y norm With at least the first half of Feb looking colder than normal we got a shot at having a colder than the 30Y norm met winter (12/1-2/28) Would be coldest since 14-15

52 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

How in the world is it not snowing right now across the triad and points west?  Radar looks plenty solid for a snow shower?

Pretty classic virga signature from FCX. Notice how there’s nothing really showing up over Surry, Stokes and Rockingham counties but then radar returns magically appear in the counties just south of there?Well the FCX radar dome already sits about 2800’ elevation, so about 2000’ above the Triad. If you incorporate 0.5 deg tilt, the beam height over the Triad is roughly 7000’ above the ground. This reduces to about 6000’ as you move north into those VA border counties. So, this is telling us the flakes are falling, but sublimating in a dry layer between 6k-7k feet. Pretty typical with NW flows.

48 minutes ago, WSchew said:

Pretty classic virga signature from FCX. Notice how there’s nothing really showing up over Surry, Stokes and Rockingham counties but then radar returns magically appear in the counties just south of there?Well the FCX radar dome already sits about 2800’ elevation, so about 2000’ above the Triad. If you incorporate 0.5 deg tilt, the beam height over the Triad is roughly 7000’ above the ground. This reduces to about 6000’ as you move north into those VA border counties. So, this is telling us the flakes are falling, but sublimating in a dry layer between 6k-7k feet. Pretty typical with NW flows.

Ok, wow.  You could have just said 2021 and left it at that.  I can relate to that.  Next time you feel like getting all technical and wordy, just substitute "2021" and heads will be nodding in agreement.  :P

In 2022, this would be an amazing explanation and beyond appreciated, if you catch my drift (not snow drift, we dont have those here).

• Haha 1

• jburns pinned this topic

Down to 32 here in Cherryville this evening.  Haven’t looked back at data but anecdotally seems we’ve had lots of mornings below freezing this winter.  Maybe it’s my old bones, but it sure seems like a lot of cold days, especially on the golf course since November.  Little surprising for a LaNina winter.  

• Like 1

Eden, NC:
Low temp at 7:27A was 23.2
High temp at 1:32P was 52.5
As I was getting dressed this morning, I wondered if I should put on an extra pair of socks . . . shortly after lunch, I regretted wearing a thermal shirt under my long-sleeve work shirt. Crazy weather!

54/41 Rain Showers..

HIGH Wind gust(s) here on the beach/sound..

In case you wanna go "boating"..

SW winds 20 to 25 kt with gusts up to 30 kt, becoming W 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 25 kt early this evening, then becoming NW 5 to 10 kt late this evening, becoming N 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt after midnight. Seas 4 to 6 ft, subsiding to 3 to 4 ft after midnight. A chance of showers, mainly this evening.
Sat
NE winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 25 kt. Seas 3 to 4 ft. A slight chance of showers in the morning, then showers likely in the afternoon.
Sat Night
NE winds 20 to 25 kt with gusts up to 30 kt, diminishing to 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt after midnight. Seas 4 to 6 ft. Showers. Vsby 1 to 3 nm, decreasing to 1 nm or less after midnight.
Sun
NW winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 25 kt. Seas 3 to 5 ft. A chance of showers in the morning.

• jburns unpinned this topic