Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2-7-21 Sunday 8-12 hour nor'easter snowstorm roughly 5A-5P

wdrag

1 minute ago, White Gorilla said:

It definitely is a significant downgrade from 5-8 

Well they have caused near panic in the tristate area once again. I couldn't get prescriptions this afternoon; drive up line was too long. left after 20 mins. Couldn't get curbside at Sam's because all the regular shoppers took the curbside spots. Reports in media kept calling for intense bands during the day; in the AM they were going 5-9. That is all people needed to hear. It's a Sunday anyway so a bust doesn't mean much. But, c'mon....I don't really care about the inconvenience; I'm retired and will have the spots to myself Monday morning. But i do get tired of the media panic, and now want to go 2-4? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Well they have caused near panic in the tristate area once again. I couldn't get prescriptions this afternoon; drive up line was too long. left after 20 mins. Couldn't get curbside at Sam's because all the regular shoppers took the curbside spots. Reports in media kept calling for intense bands during the day; in the AM they were going 5-9. That is all people needed to hear. It's a Sunday anyway so a bust doesn't mean much. But, c'mon....I don't really care about the inconvenience; I'm retired and will have the spots to myself Monday morning. But i do get tired of the media panic, and now want to go 2-4? 

Meanwhile Joe Cioffi is sticking to his 6-8" forecast for NYC Metro.  Back in the day, growing up on LI, Joe Cioffi on NEWS12 LI was prolly the most accurate forecaster in NY...nowadays: not so much.

7 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

NWS still basically saying 4-8 depending on location and storm is still down south so who knows what final results will be. 

DT is a train wreck.  He’s a model hugger.  I’ve have been watching him over the years and used to think he was the man but I have seen him bust so many times.  He’s really just a play-by-play guy describing the model outputs.  He seems to always have an axe to grind with his competition.  I do not take him serious anymore just look at his site for amusement only.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Meant yours in NYC/Li. Looks better down towards NJ but I’m going off on SV so hard to say for sure without wxbell gradient totals. I know it def was better up in SNE

Ok but I'm not NYC or LI...I'm a bit SW of the city across from SI. Southern and eastern storms tend to leave us with scraps, as do NW ones for that matter. It's hard to say which is better for us, though in setups like the last one we still do a lot better than the shore. 19 inches reported here ( sleeted for hours ) so not the NW totals but much higher than SE areas. 

2 minutes ago, Snowguy66 said:

DT is a train wreck.  He’s a model hugger.  I’ve have been watching him over the years and used to think he was the man but I have seen him bust so many times.  He’s really just a play-by-play guy describing the model outputs.  He seems to always have an axe to grind with his competition.  I do not take him serious anymore just look at his site for amusement only.

The field does attract some strange characters, then again you will see this in every field; I've seen dog evolutionists argue about the origins of the dog like it was crossfire....calling each other stupid and idiots and all. These are PhDs.....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

The field does attract some strange characters, then again you will see this in every field; I've seen dog evolutionists argue about the origins of the dog like it was crossfire....calling each other stupid and idiots and all. These are PhDs.....

Well said.  My brother is a meteorologist for the national weather service so I guess I take it personal when he’s always criticizing the National Weather Service for A bad forecast before the storm even get started.  This guy says he will tell you when he got it wrong but it’s usually 18 hours after the fact because he usually has some kind of excuse that he was sick or something which is just so typical of him.  I love this forum.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lordsnot said:

Meanwhile Joe Cioffi is sticking to his 6-8" forecast for NYC Metro.  Back in the day, growing up on LI, Joe Cioffi on NEWS12 LI was prolly the most accurate forecaster in NY...nowadays: not so much.

Disagree about Joe Cioffi...he's still one of the best. Doesn't flip flop with every model run.

7 minutes ago, Mitchel Volk said:

The NWS does an excellent job, after all the generally get better pay the most private Mets so it attracts top talent.

When i was younger and worked on fishing boats, they were the object of scorn, because blown forecasts can be life-threatening at sea. A wind that is forecast for 10-15 NW but ends up closer to 30 is a big deal a few miles offshore; like wise 10-15 NW that turns out to be 10-15 NE is also a problem. But generally, being a retired government worker, who was paid more than the folks in the private sector for my particular field ( though there was a ceiling to the salary that doesn't exist in the private sector, theoretically...) I have a high opinion of pubic servants, including the NWS. 

2 minutes ago, sferic said:

From BGM 

NEAR TERM /THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT/...
Only minor to temperatures and dewpoints with this update. It
appears that the 18Z model suite for Sunday is trending further
southeast. This will be evaluated for the next update. Previous
discussion below.

That darn weather just won't do what you want it to.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I can already see the drop in interest here, unless people are waiting on new models....

I attribute it more to a combination of satisfaction and fatigue from last week's storm..  I know I feel it myself.  4-8, 3-6, heck 2-3 - if it was the first snow of the season, or if last week hadn't happened, it'd be busier here.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

I attribute it more to a combination of satisfaction and fatigue from last week's storm..  I know I feel it myself.  4-8, 3-6, heck 2-3 - if it was the first snow of the season, or if last week hadn't happened, it'd be busier here.  

It's also Saturday night, even if there isn't much to do these days....

• Like 1