Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
2-7-21 Sunday 8-12 hour nor'easter snowstorm roughly 5A-5P

wdrag

55 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

I am not aware of such storms following closely. However, there were two cases where a 10" snowfall was followed less than one week later by another 6" or greater snowfall in New York City:

November 26-27, 1898: 10.0" and November 29-30, 1898: 6.0"

February 3-4, 1926: 10.4" and February 9-10, 1926: 12.0"

some more dual 6" snowfalls or better in a weeks time...

2/7-8/1899.....6.5"

2/12-13/99.....16.0"...

1/31/1882......8.0"

2/4-5/1882.....9.0"

2/19-20/1934..7.6"

2/25-26/1934..9.3"

3/16-17/1956..6.7"

3/18-19/1956...11.6"

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, uncle W said:

2/7-8/1899.....6.5"

2/12-13/99.....16.0"...

1/31/1882......8.0"

2/4-5/1882.....9.0"

2/19-20/1934..7.6"

2/25-26/1934..9.3"

3/16-17/1956..6.7"

3/18-19/1956...11.6"

Yes. I was focused on significant snowfalls that followed major snowfalls.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, uncle W said:

2/7-8/1899.....6.5"

2/12-13/99.....16.0"...

1/31/1882......8.0"

2/4-5/1882.....9.0"

2/19-20/1934..7.6"

2/25-26/1934..9.3"

3/16-17/1956..6.7"

3/18-19/1956...11.6"

Anyone else find it interesting that despite the phenomenal seasonal snowfall totals we've had around here, even including 1995/1996, that we haven't cracked this list?  Maybe because a lot of our recent great seasons have occurred without exceptional cold, and it's harder to thread the needle twice in a week in such conditions? 

Edit:  I'll get back in my lane now lol

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HVSnowLover said:

Feb 2010 and possibly Feb 2014 were the last times I can remember a pattern with snow on top of snow 

February 2015 around here.  We were building snow pack from January into the second week of March.  Pretty much every snowfall that winter fell onto previously existing snowpack.  20" snowpack of mostly old snow a week into March isn't typical around here. /understatement

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Anyone else find it interesting that despite the phenomenal seasonal snowfall totals we've had around here, even including 1995/1996, that we haven't cracked this list?  Maybe because a lot of our recent great seasons have occurred without exceptional cold, and it's harder to thread the needle twice in a week in such conditions? 

Edit:  I'll get back in my lane now lol

Layman’s take on the changing climate: it would make sense that we are trending towards more extremes... that more of our snow is coming from larger events. It’s harder to sustain cold that allows small systems to stack up snow... but when we thread the needle, with much more ocean moisture to work with... watch out. 

I predict we see a 30” + snow in NYC proper in the next 5-10 years

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, hooralph said:

Layman’s take on the changing climate: it would make sense that we are trending towards more extremes... that more of our snow is coming from larger events. It’s harder to sustain cold that allows small systems to stack up snow... but when we thread the needle, with much more ocean moisture to work with... watch out. 

Great point. Warmer air holds more moisture. The increased tendency for marine heatwaves being driven by climate change creates an increased probability of major snowstorms when synoptic conditions are favorable for storms. These storms can produce far more snowfall than had been the case without the warming/marine heatwaves even if all other variables are held constant. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, hooralph said:

19 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Great point. Warmer air holds more moisture. The increased tendency for marine heatwaves being driven by climate change creates an increased probability of major snowstorms when synoptic conditions are favorable for storms. These storms can produce far more snowfall than had been the case without the warming/marine heatwaves even if all other variables are held constant. 

Not downplaying any of your points about climate change but wondering if the difference had more to do with measurement technique than what was actually falling from the sky?  NYC back in the late 1800's to 1930's would have been about as cold as the parts of the mid hudson valley today.  These areas are averaging over 40" per year currently and they are further from the coast so maybe are a bit drier, while NYC back then was still around/below 30" per year if Im not mistaken?

Were the people doing the measurments back then including every storm no matter how minor?  Were they measuring every 6 hrs during large storms or just plopping in a yard stick at some point after the storm was over with compaction already having taken a serious bite out of the totals?

Seems data integrity could at least be part of the story.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, deathstar9 said:

Not downplaying any of your points about climate change but wondering if the difference had more to do with measurement technique than what was actually falling from the sky?  NYC back in the late 1800's to 1930's would have been about as cold as the parts of the mid hudson valley today.  These areas are averaging over 40" per year currently and they are further from the coast so maybe are a bit drier, while NYC back then was still around/below 30" per year if Im not mistaken?

Were the people doing the measurments back then including every storm no matter how minor?  Were they measuring every 6 hrs during large storms or just plopping in a yard stick at some point after the storm was over with compaction already having taken a serious bite out of the totals?

Seems data integrity could at least be part of the story.

Part of the difference is almost certainly a reflection of differing measurement methodologies. However, the frequency of major snowstorms has increased relative to where it was during the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s when measuring methodologies were essentially the same as they are today. After 1970, New York City has also experienced the emergence of a wetter climate. The same holds true for many of the climate sites in the Northeast.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Euro is flat like a pancake

People got suckered in because of the eps showing alot of hits 

Smh

The 12Z GFSv16 I posted earlier almost phased in time - this 12Z EURO OP doesn't make sense - it shows basically nothing for Sunday offshore and then midweek tries cutting a low west of us into New York State ? ??? Each 12Z model has a totally different solution it seems

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus.png

• Like 1

Just now, NEG NAO said:

The 12Z GFSv16 I posted earlier almost phased in time - this 12Z EURO OP doesn't make sense - it shows basically nothing for Sunday offshore and then midweek tries cutting a low west of us into New York State ? ???

You're going to see a ton of models changes.

Went from a SE ridge to trough and back to SE ridge.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

The 12Z GFSv16 I posted earlier almost phased in time - this 12Z EURO OP doesn't make sense - it shows basically nothing for Sunday offshore and then midweek tries cutting a low west of us into New York State ? ???

GFS and CMC showed a cutter today as well....

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Part of the difference is almost certainly a reflection of differing measurement methodologies. However, the frequency of major snowstorms has increased relative to where it was during the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s when measuring methodologies were essentially the same as they are today. After 1970, New York City has also experienced the emergence of a wetter climate. The same holds true for many of the climate sites in the Northeast.

Got it, guess that makes sense if measurment techniques were the same as today going back to the 50's/60's/70's.

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

While this sounds probable, I am not convinced that the warmer climate is the reason for higher snowfall amounts.  Snow in the NYC metro area has always been difficult to come by.  It seems most systems have always been on the edge of the rain snow line. Cold air is always a necessary ingredient.  As temperatures have increased, I find it difficult to believe that the warmer climate is the reason for our bigger snowfalls over the last 20 years. Warmer air holds more moisture, but is the increase in ocean (or air) temperature proportionately related to the higher snow amounts?    Is there actual data/studies proving that the warmer climate is leading to increased snowfall in the NYC area, or just supposition?  Or maybe it has to do with the track of the systems (perhaps due to a warming climate)? 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

While this sounds probable, I am not convinced that the warmer climate is the reason for higher snowfall amounts.  Snow in the NYC metro area has always been difficult to come by.  It seems most systems have always been on the edge of the rain snow line. Cold air is always a necessary ingredient.  As temperatures have increased, I find it difficult to believe that the warmer climate is the reason for our bigger snowfalls over the last 20 years. Warmer air holds more moisture, but is the increase in ocean (or air) temperature proportionately related to the higher snow amounts?    Is there actual data/studies proving that the warmer climate is leading to increased snowfall in the NYC area, or just supposition?  Or maybe it has to do with the track of the systems (perhaps due to a warming climate)? 

It's certainly supposition on my part. I know there has been research and studies showing that extreme rain events are (and will continue to become) more likely, and I would think ocean heat content would increase moisture available for snow storms, but it would have to be born out with research. wrt studies... it would be interesting to do a long term analysis of snowdepth, snow cover and snowfall amounts (both season and from individual events) across multiple locations. If the theory holds, we'd theoretically see increases in median and average snowfall from storms... but that snow depth and days with snow cover may not actually be increasing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dark Star said:

Here’s one recent paper:

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/abbc93/pdf

And one that projects increases in Category 3 and 4 storms (RSI) until mid-century before the frequency declines.

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdfdirect/10.1029/2018GL079820

• Like 1