Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2021

George BM

13 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

There are some opportunities, always have to keep one eye on it when there is a -NAO (even just transient) in March.  There is cold close enough that something could pop up.  But for me...its been a LOOOONG winter with a lot of tracking and nothing that happens here on out is likely to equal what already has happened plus I am VERY busy at work right now so I am just casually tracking.  And I have no interest in jumping into the "winters over/not over" fight.  

I understand. But I truly think its done for the lowlands. Of course you guys can sneak into something well into April. Im just ready for consistenly warmer weather. As you know its been a disastrous winter for me in terms of tracking vs reality of what occurred.  And as you said its unlikely anything happens that hasnt already so baseball, long walks with the pup and outdoor brewery meets please!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Definitely agree with this.  I ran track a looooong time ago in high school and we always had a warmup/cool down during practices.  I did sprints, 100m, 200m 400m relay.  I still ended up suffering a pulled hip-pointer muscle one time (it went out on me while running the 100m dash during a meet!) that killed the rest of that season for me.  Really sucked, especially since I was scheduled for 2 other events that day and I had to be scratched from those.  It was all I could do to hobble/walk for awhile, even had to use crutches to some extent.  Strangely, it didn't bother me again in my final 2 years after that, thank goodness.  But shin splints...that was a never-ending battle!  They had a shin splint board in the locker room that you were meant to stand on for some length of time (the board was elevated at about a 45 degree angle), to strengthen it.  And at home I'd have to occasionally lift a weight tied to my foot with my ankle (used one of those old cast irons, weight like 8 pounds!).  That helped a lot.

Shin splints were the bane of my existence 10th - 12th grade.   All three seasons...Soccer Basketball and Track were helped out by a ton of Motrin. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

King Arthur has 24 oz for $7.95:

https://shop.kingarthurbaking.com/items/gluten-free-all-purpose-flour?gclid=CjwKCAiA1eKBBhBZEiwAX3gql0linLk0UUfSEPDjBqfInajDmGnlTTSmnyJl2wsOszRVSfaCxoXTdRoCLWcQAvD_BwE

and I have come to love almond meal cakes, a staple of Italian and Spanish baking. you don't need to make substitutes in the recipes, either. this is my current favorite one--it's unbelievably simple to make and it's really delicious:

https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/spanish-almond-cake-tarta-de-santiago

this was my first one--I messed up the stencil when I was sugaring it:

2121028035_tarta3.jpg.f1c83ad10a56a6ce946bc0e4e86fb6a7.jpg

Ok that makes sense then. He got me a 40oz for the $13. And that almond meal cake looks amazing! Will have to try that. Thanks!!!

1 hour ago, EHoffman said:

I'm no master baker but maybe it's a bit underproved...not that I wouldn't eat the hell outta this.  Crust looks really nice too.  Good job.

Thanks!  Yeah, the wheat never seems to rise as high as the regular sourdough.  I'm thinking that is just the nature of the wheat bread, more dense.

Attached is the side view of the cut regular sourdough.  The one on the right appears to have risen higher due to the scoring technique I used on that one.

IMG_0406.jpg

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Cheers to happy hour(s). Support Ten Eyck Brewing from Queenstown, MD. Just saying. :drunk:

91965FAE-2D29-42F9-98A6-BC218658C82B.jpeg

Lol. I’ve got a 4-pack of that. Well, now it’s a 3 pack.

By the way, I like that Ten Eyck uses cardboard 4 pack holders instead of the normal plastic. Ideally, everyone should return their plastic four pack holders to the brewery like the customers do up at @jonjon’s brewery in Davis.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Damn...Dr. Seuss,  Mr Potato Head, and the Muppets are now offensive.  Is this really happening.  This must be a joke :axe:

Is this actual news? Practically anything you can name is probably offensive to someone. 

I have always found Barney and the Teletubbies to be very disturbing. That shit should be banned.

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, CAPE said:

Is this actual news? Practically anything you can name is probably offensive to someone. 

I have always found Barney and the Teletubbies to be very disturbing. That shit should be banned.

Not sure what's going on with Dr. Seuss but Hasbro got into a PR pickle by saying the Mr. Potato Head brand is going to be renamed as Potato Head and after public outcry had to clarify that Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head will still have those names but it is the brand name that is going to change from Mr. Potato Head to Potato Head.  As for The Muppet Show, if you watch it on Disney+ you'll see a disclaimer that it contains content that may be offensive, in particular relating to racial and cultural stereotypes.

11 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I know Barney but what are telechubbies?

You can live a happy and contented life without knowing what they are.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CAPE said:

33 minutes ago, fourseasons said:

Not sure what's going on with Dr. Seuss but Hasbro got into a PR pickle by saying the Mr. Potato Head brand is going to be renamed as Potato Head and after public outcry had to clarify that Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head will still have those names but it is the brand name that is going to change from Mr. Potato Head to Potato Head.  As for The Muppet Show, if you watch it on Disney+ you'll see a disclaimer that it contains content that may be offensive, in particular relating to racial and cultural stereotypes.

You can live a happy and contented life without knowing what they are.

Yeah, I checked out some of this and turns out to be a whole lotta pointless outrage by some people over a whole lotta nothing, as I expected.  Yeesh!

As for the Barney and Teletubbies...agree!  Though let's be honest, it is nice when we get "Barney'd" ("purpled") with snow!!

1 hour ago, snowfan said:

Lol. Blame losetoa6. He asked what they were. Couldn’t pass up the chance to horrify the board.

could be worse.....we’re not talking caillou.

Fck that whiney ass child, so glad he was finally canceled. Seriously, the worst tv show of my kid’s toddler years. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic