Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2021

George BM

1 minute ago, Mrs.J said:

Ehhh

Pulled my shoulder muscle yesterday after trying to cinch a girth on the side with no elastic. Note to self check to see if said girth has elastic on both sides before you cinch. 

Ugh, sorry to hear. It's amazing how some muscles will roar to life and remind you that they don't want/care to be disturbed. I disassembled my wife's big-ass treadmill into two still-heavy chunks on Wednesday afternoon to move to and reassemble in another room in the house. Felt okay Wed night, but throughout yesterday and this morning, my arm and hamstring muscles have started screaming at me, "Don't even think about doing that again, cowboy."  :( 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Ugh, sorry to hear. It's amazing how some muscles will roar to life and remind you that they don't want/care to be disturbed. I disassembled my wife's big-ass treadmill into two still-heavy chunks on Wednesday afternoon to move to and reassemble in another room in the house. Felt okay Wed night, but throughout yesterday and this morning, my arm and hamstring muscles have started screaming at me, "Don't even think about doing that again, cowboy."  :( 

I am not sure that using the  words "wife's" and "big-ass" in the same sentence is a good idea.  :unsure:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Happened to me a lot when I first started lifting weights. Now I don't do it as much but I remember my whole leg being sore for at least 4 days after a leg workout. I discovered that it helps to do some light exercises then stretching after. Alleviates the pain some.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’m not sure it makes a big difference but the trend has been very clear. The season is starting earlier. Less than 100 days until 2021...

Won't matter.  Just like winter, DC will have a Cat 1 go west and a Cat 2 go east within a week just like the two snow storms did.  #stillbitter

48 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Working on my sourdough skill for the future bakery.  Any sourdough experts in here?IMG_0405.jpg.c4b4811891baccac4f57f502a19b95e0.jpg

8 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

beautiful!  i have greatly stepped up my bread-,making, but I don't work with sourdough.

I've been trying to replicate my grandmother's chalka, a Polish brioche.

chalka 2nd attempt.jpg

OH that all looks so good you two! I cannot have it anymore. Although I just had Mr. J buy me some gluten free AP flour with a 1:1 substitute that I am going to dabble with. Dang stuff cost $13 though! Had him pick up some more Tapioca flour/Starch as I have in the past used it in a yummy Brazilian Cheese roll recipe which is fantastic. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Every single time I peek into this thread you are arguing with someone and trying to snuff out discussion. Has it ever occurred to you that you are the problem here?

But to be fair he is just enforcing the policies of the board. Doesn’t mean they are always his policies. I’m not trying to attack anyone personally. And it’s not that big a deal. I just disagree. I’m not mad at anyone. 

11 hours ago, ravensrule said:

There is more fighting in this place than a bad marriage. This place used to be fun, now not so much. Oh well, it’s gone the way of society. Nobody respects anyone else and it’s sad. 

This seems like an exaggeration...no one has insulted or attacked anyone personally. It just feels like a lot of expressing difference of opinions. That’s not so bad Imo. In my case I disagree a bit on some topic limits but I’m not upset or mad at anyone. Just disagree. So what. It’s no big deal. People don’t need to agree on everything. 

1 hour ago, jonjon said:

Working on my sourdough skill for the future bakery.  Any sourdough experts in here?IMG_0405.jpg.c4b4811891baccac4f57f502a19b95e0.jpg

52 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

beautiful!  i have greatly stepped up my bread-,making, but I don't work with sourdough.

I've been trying to replicate my grandmother's chalka, a Polish brioche.

chalka 2nd attempt.jpg

Oh my, those both look so damned good!  Thanks for sharing that.  There's almost nothing like warm, fresh bread.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

You know when the Banter thread is way more active than any other weather thread the end of winter is near....My winter is over for the lowlands posts must be aging fairly well.:lol::hurrbear:

There are some opportunities, always have to keep one eye on it when there is a -NAO (even just transient) in March.  There is cold close enough that something could pop up.  But for me...its been a LOOOONG winter with a lot of tracking and nothing that happens here on out is likely to equal what already has happened plus I am VERY busy at work right now so I am just casually tracking.  And I have no interest in jumping into the "winters over/not over" fight.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Ehhh

Pulled my shoulder muscle yesterday after trying to cinch a girth on the side with no elastic. Note to self check to see if said girth has elastic on both sides before you cinch. 

Oh, sorry to hear that!  Hope you'll be OK...that really sucks.  I've occasionally had to deal with lower back pain, so know how much a pulled muscle can just be debilitating until it loosens back up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JakkelWx said:

Happened to me a lot when I first started lifting weights. Now I don't do it as much but I remember my whole leg being sore for at least 4 days after a leg workout. I discovered that it helps to do some light exercises then stretching after. Alleviates the pain some.

Great advice embedded here, which I didn't follow in my 20s and 30s. I lifted weights a lot more back then, logged a lot more jogging/running miles...and in every case, never stretched out, before or after workouts. HUGE mistake, especially with regard to running. Blew out my right knee (torn meniscus) at 40, got it scoped, not much cartilage left in there now. Now my left knee occasionally has that rotten/wobbly feel to it. Regardless of your age, folks...if you work out in any fashion, please stretch out before and after, and don't leave out warmups/cooldowns. It makes a difference to the long-term health of your muscles/joints.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Great advice embedded here, which I didn't follow in my 20s and 30s. I lifted weights a lot more back then, logged a lot more jogging/running miles...and in every case, never stretched out, before or after workouts. HUGE mistake, especially with regard to running. Blew out my right knee (torn meniscus) at 40, got it scoped, not much cartilage left in there now. Now my left knee occasionally has that rotten/wobbly feel to it. Regardless of your age, folks...if you work out in any fashion, please stretch out before and after, and don't leave out warmups/cooldowns. It makes a difference to the long-term health of your muscles/joints.

Definitely good advice.   I became IAABO certified started refereeing basketball last year.  I want to keep active where I can as I approach my 50s so everyday life is just easier.  Surprisingly, Its a lot of fun as well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vastateofmind said:

Definitely agree with this.  I ran track a looooong time ago in high school and we always had a warmup/cool down during practices.  I did sprints, 100m, 200m 400m relay.  I still ended up suffering a pulled hip-pointer muscle one time (it went out on me while running the 100m dash during a meet!) that killed the rest of that season for me.  Really sucked, especially since I was scheduled for 2 other events that day and I had to be scratched from those.  It was all I could do to hobble/walk for awhile, even had to use crutches to some extent.  Strangely, it didn't bother me again in my final 2 years after that, thank goodness.  But shin splints...that was a never-ending battle!  They had a shin splint board in the locker room that you were meant to stand on for some length of time (the board was elevated at about a 45 degree angle), to strengthen it.  And at home I'd have to occasionally lift a weight tied to my foot with my ankle (used one of those old cast irons, weight like 8 pounds!).  That helped a lot.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic