Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2021

George BM

Just now, H2O said:

Why do you need to have discussions that end up pissing people off and making enemies?  I am 100% sure if that first damn thread was NEVER allowed in the first place some people would still be posting.  No.  We tried to let things run their course and what happened was more arguing and eventually it got political and nasty.  Randy has ALWAYS stressed that wx side is wx side and the slight banter is meant to allow for fun and lighthearted non wx talk.  Upsetting people shouldn't be the goal here.  Effing weather does that enough with many here.

People get offended about everything and anything.  its futile.  Some people get offended by an off color gif or joke.  IMO, and this is JUST MY OPINION and its fine to disagree and I have no authority so my opinion don't mean jack...the shut down of opinions that happened during the discussions were more to blame for some leaving then the fact we had the discussion at all.  Even if I agreed with the point some were making I didn't understand why there had to be a ganging up and attack of certain views, even if I thought those views were wrong.  So what.  Let them say it.  Then you can engage with them on it and have a civil debate, or ignore it.  But there was some degree of "gang up on that WRONG view" thing going on and that pissed off certain people.  

Just now, leesburg 04 said:

Hey everyone, I just read that the earth is only 6000 years old....WOW!!!! I would have suspected older

Did it snow back then?  Do you think Oooog the Neanderthal man got mad at Orrrrg if he didn't cave draw about day 6 snow when the sun got high enough in the sky?

• Haha 2

Just now, psuhoffman said:

People get offended about everything and anything.  its futile.  Some people get offended by an off color gif or joke.  IMO, and this is JUST MY OPINION and its fine to disagree and I have no authority so my opinion don't mean jack...the shut down of opinions that happened during the discussions were more to blame for some leaving then the fact we had the discussion at all.  Even if I agreed with the point some were making I didn't understand why there had to be a ganging up and attack of certain views, even if I thought those views were wrong.  So what.  Let them say it.  Then you can engage with them on it and have a civil debate, or ignore it.  But there was some degree of "gang up on that WRONG view" thing going on and that pissed off certain people.  

Stop with the shutting things down stuff.  You don't argue religion at a kids bday party.  you don't argue politics at a wedding.  There are places to do that.  This is all we are saying.  you can have these convos. Just do it elsewhere.  THATS what Randy is asking.  Be aware of the setting.  

8 minutes ago, H2O said:

Stop with the shutting things down stuff.  You don't argue religion at a kids bday party.  you don't argue politics at a wedding.  There are places to do that.  This is all we are saying.  you can have these convos. Just do it elsewhere.  THATS what Randy is asking.  Be aware of the setting.  

I’m talking about within the thread last year that you referenced.  And it wasn’t mods necessarily.

15 minutes ago, H2O said:

Did it snow back then?  Do you think Oooog the Neanderthal man got mad at Orrrrg if he didn't cave draw about day 6 snow when the sun got high enough in the sky?

I don't know about that, but I'd be willing to bet Ji canceled winter by that point!  Was it possible to get NAM'd back then?

13 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

I thought the models back then went out to at least 10 sun cycles. 

We didn't use models at that time.  We only looked at the baro in what was then the equivalent of southeast Canada to determine the forecasts.  Wait...I don't think barometers existed yet.  Damn, there goes that theory!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The definition of political here seems to be “anything that upsets a lot of people”. Fine. But not the same as political. 

Here's my take:

It's not that the post upsets someone. It's that a post has a not-so-subtle political take that will take things down a path that the admins have long indicated they don't want things to go down. Might the post upset someone, as well? Yes, but that's not why these posts get nuked - it's because they *are* political. To me, it's really that simple. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Hell, I think even @nw baltimore wx and @Scraff would have a hard time finding a beer that would compliment that "dish"!!

Drinking a 120, and I scroll down and see that shit. I actually think I could eat some of that and take a sip of this and not even flinch. Not sure if compliment is the right word, but this beer can cut through anything.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

Here's my take:

It's not that the post upsets someone. It's that a post has a not-so-subtle political take that will take things down a path that the admins have long indicated they don't want things to go down. Might the post upset someone, as well? Yes, but that's not why these posts get nuked - it's because they *are* political. To me, it's really that simple. 

But what makes discussing a viral pandemic mitigation strategy or AGW or the merits of scientific methodology political...because none of those things is inherently political.  Its simply because one of our political parties has decided to use each topic to their advantage in some way and the people who subscribe to their propaganda then get upset when someone says something not aligned to it. But that can happen to ANYTHING!  What if Republicans decide beer is bad and they get mad if we talk about drinking. Does that mean we can’t discuss micro brews anymore?  What if they decide football is bad over the anthem crap... then we can’t talk that anymore?  So again what’s “political”?  Ok my definition was too narrow. I guess the better one is “any topic that one of our parties manages to convince their sycophants to get all bent about”.  I’d prefer not to give either of our jackass political parties that kind of power over our lives. 

Had to say @vastateofmind, FiOS is so much better than comcast. Xfinity can eat it. They throttle me here at school and we get 1/10 of the speeds we pay for. I have FiOS back home and have zero complaints. We don't do cable anymore and I think we are getting 500mb speeds for something like 70 a month. Cannot recommend it enough. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic