Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2021

George BM

Just now, mappy said:

Great. Thanks. From now on, I highly suggest you take your complaints directly to Randy. You all don't seem to give a shit when I repeat the same words as him, for reasons I cannot explain. I'm tired of repeating myself to you. 

My posts are public. He can read them. I didn’t direct ANYTHING at you.  I know you are just moderating the forum policies. I have no issues with you. None zero zip. 

12 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

E049D8A9-E18C-44C2-AE18-86AFBBAD1219.jpeg

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Definitely up for some good food posts!  We need @WxWatcher007's bat signal.

And crazy ass cats...though to the cats, we're probably the ones who are crazy!

Oh I don't know. You must not have seen the photo of my deranged cat from last night. He looks like this on a daily basis. Makes you think your last hours are up. Then again you must be right as I look for this look on a daily basis from him.  :lol:

• Haha 2

Just now, psuhoffman said:

This happens every year about now as there suddenly isn’t as much interest in winter weather tracking. 

I find it is that time of year where you just cannot regulate your temperature. The heat does not come on as it is too warm outside yet it feels so much cooler inside than what you want it. 

Just now, Mrs.J said:

Oh I don't know. You must not have seen the photo of my deranged cat from last night. He looks like this on a daily basis. Makes you think your last hours are up. Then again you must be right as I look for this look on a daily basis from him.  :lol:

Haha!  Yeah I think I missed that photo...definitely a "crazy" look there!

Actually it's kind of scary.  Your cat looks almost exactly like my brother and sister-in-law's cat (Zippy) from years ago!  Zippy was almost overly friendly, she was all over you for attention.  We used to joke when I'd visit that it would be like a spa weekend for Zippy, with an extra set of hands to pet her!  LOL!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Thanks! We have always had an open door policy in our house. I grew up with crappy communication in my family and it lead to a lot of arguments and yelling. I swore to never have that in my house. Seems to have worked. So my girls probably have seen things that most parents would not show. They loved watching Nature on PBS when younger. So when "the" talk came up it was so much easier as they had already seen animals go at it. :D

She is one of those kids who when born is an old soul. She has always been mature for her age and she likes to understand how the mind works. Just finished an into to Psych class to see if she wanted to take a dual enrollment course in it. Liked it so much that she signed up for the course for next year. She says she does not want to major in Psych in college but I think she would do well with it. Just need to find the right aspect of it for her. That and she does not want to have to do graduate school. Told her that she may feel that way now but if she really gets into it that might change. Floated the idea of a minor in Psych and that seemed to get more traction. :)

Totally understand, I grew up in one of those households, too -- and also vowed that my wife and I would not live like that, and we never have.  ;)

Like your daughter, I took a couple HS classes in psych and loved it. Was never smart enough to major in it (and to boot, wasn't sure what I'd do with that major), but took a psych class every semester of my undergrad years and loved them all. (Well, most all -- I nearly failed abormal psych!) I ended up with a psych minor that, honestly, provided a skillset that served me well in the various forms of marketing, PR, communications type stuff I did over the years. I'm sure your daughter would, too. Hope you're enjoying those continued college investigations with her.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

So if this is a “weather” only board why do we have a banter thread or one on bugs and gardens and beer?  No one complains when we discuss lots of topics unrelated to weather. I understand “no politics” given the current climate but I’m annoyed that it feels like we are extending that to “anything that involves disagreement”.  AGW isn’t political just because one party decides to pretend it’s not real for financial reasons!  A virus isn’t political just because one political party decides to pretend it’s not that bad because they didn’t want to do anything about it.  Our political parties have opinions on almost EVERYTHING. What if tomorrow one of the parties decides beer is bad and some of their sycophants start making angry posts when we discuss our drinks in here...will that suddenly make that off limits too?   It’s annoying that we let that determine what we can discuss and label topics political when that aren’t political at all, unless your definition of political is “something a political party has an opinion on” in which case EVERYTHING is political!  Why not ban the clowns who can’t have a conversation like an adult and get hostile v banking a while conversation. And if someone says something you disagree with and you don’t want to engage you can always just ignore it.  I don’t get why we’re so sensitive to EVERYTHING anymore. On a larger scale in society ignoring each other will never improve this. We need more adult conversation and sharing of ideas not less. 

This is really terrible posting. Aren’t you a debate coach? Nothing you wrote there is anything but an emotional opinion. 

You can’t have debate or progress for that matter without discourse. And you can’t learn anything if you’ve already decided you know everything. And the minute you stop listening to another persons views, you have done exactly that. 

12 hours ago, nj2va said:

Yeah, they recently wired our neighborhood for FIOS...I’d change in a heartbeat. But we’re in the process of selling/buying so I’m holding off changing it. I checked our house we are buying in Alexandria last night and no FIOS there. yay more Comcast! 

If you're buying in the City of Alexandria, there is no Fios available.  In Alexandria, Fairfax County, it depends on where exactly you're located.  My local Nextdoor feed covers decent portions of both, and every few months there is usually a post from someone in the city part wondering if/when Fios will ever show up there, only to be told the chance is pretty much none.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fourseasons said:

If you're buying in the City of Alexandria, there is no Fios available.  In Alexandria, Fairfax County, it depends on where exactly you're located.  My local Nextdoor feed covers decent portions of both, and every few months there is usually a post from someone in the city part wondering if/when Fios will ever show up there, only to be told the chance is pretty much none.

Ah, good to know thanks.  We're buying in the city of Alexandria so I guess time to move on from wanting FIOS.  Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

That sounds great -- post a pic later if you can. I'm trying a new marinade for pork loin on the grill tonight -- we were going to have pasta, and then I thought, WTH, I'm not going to waste great late-winter grilling weather this afternoon/evening.  :)

Wasn't able to get a pic :( . But it was amazing! So satisfying to cook my own meal from scratch. So spicy and the sauce was perfect. How was the pork? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Wasn't able to get a pic :( . But it was amazing! So satisfying to cook my own meal from scratch. So spicy and the sauce was perfect. How was the pork? 

It was a hit! Here's the link to the marinade recipe if interested -- author used it initially for pork chops but I used on two pork loins and grilled. I was afraid it might be too sweet with the brown sugar and ketchup (it wasn't, BTW), so threw in several shakes of red pepper flakes to counter. Yummo.

The BEST EVER Pork Chop Marinade Recipe | Yummly

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Made a recommendation last week for "Nomadland" starring Frances McDormand just released on Hulu...stand by that, best flick I've seen in many years.

My wife and I then switched back over to Netflix the past several days to start cleaning out our watchlists there and started a several- years-old documentary called "Evil Genius," about the 2003 "Pizza Bomber" bank heist in Erie, PA. Very compelling. Only four episodes long, but don't miss it if you like the true crime genre -- conspirators highlighted in the series definitely fit the title.

BTW, best documentary I ever saw on any of the streamers was "The Keepers" on Netflix, about the late 1960s disappearance/murder of Sister Cathy in Catonsville, MD.

I think that the old network show "Homicide: Life on the Streets" had an episode that depicted the story from the Keepers.  I know that Homicide has been off the air for at least 2 decades, but that was a great show. 

I'd also recommend the show called "The Detectorists", a BBC show which prime currently has.  It's not a documentary, very British and dry, but enjoyable.  Only 7 or 8 half hour episodes per season, but worth the watch. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

I think that the old network show "Homicide: Life on the Streets" had an episode that depicted the story from the Keepers.  I know that Homicide has been off the air for at least 2 decades, but that was a great show. 

I'd also recommend the show called "The Detectorists", a BBC show which prime currently has.  It's not a documentary, very British and dry, but enjoyable.  Only 7 or 8 half hour episodes per season, but worth the watch. 

Oh, MAN -- Homicide is one of my all-time favorite TV shows. Super cast, great writing...some of the best writers/directors/producers at work on that show, many of whom carried over from St. Elsewhere (my favorite-ever TV series). So hard to find Homicide streaming, though -- and it's tough to find the seasons on DVD, and when you do, they're prohibitively expensive.

Thanks for the rec on The Dectectorists -- will definitely check that out. We've been increasingly drawn to British dramas and miniseries over the past couple of years. PBS's Call The Midwife, which normally isn't my cup of tea, has turned out to be a favorite of ours...it aptly captures the feel and emotions of its setting in time (50s & 60s). We try to check out what's new on Masterpiece once in awhile...Masterpiece's (non-musical) mini-series remake of Les Miserables a year or so ago was particularly outstanding with an awesome cast (thought-provoking ending, too).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

This is really terrible posting. Aren’t you a debate coach? Nothing you wrote there is anything but an emotional opinion. 

You can’t have debate or progress for that matter without discourse. And you can’t learn anything if you’ve already decided you know everything. And the minute you stop listening to another persons views, you have done exactly that. 

You may not agree with my opinion on those 2 issues but I assure you I didn’t come to that conclusion because I didn’t listen to all sides.  I defended Showmethesnow’s right to say what he did last spring. I was not in favor of shutting it down. I defended losetoa’s right to espouse his views. But that does not mean I have to agree. 

We have a long accepted scientific method for proving claims that I very much agree with that has been around long before either current political cult, I mean party, in this society.  Proving a hypothesis through data and research and through CONSENSUS of expert review of evidence. When a group, ANY group!!!, can’t substantiate their claims using that scientific method I do not accept the strategy that they can simply throw out the concept of objective truth by screaming enough about that scientific method and questioning its legitimacy. That’s dangerous. And it’s been employed by plenty of groups over history (left and right) and never to a good result!  

We probably should continue this in PM before they decide discussing the merits of the scientific method is political now too. 

ETA: if we were in a court I feel 100% confident I could prove both of my claims you take issue with above beyond a reasonable doubt 

4 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Oh, MAN -- Homicide is one of my all-time favorite TV shows. Super cast, great writing...some of the best writers/directors/producers at work on that show, many of which carried over from St. Elsewhere (my favorite-ever TV series). So hard to find Homicide streaming, though -- and it's tough to find the seasons on DVD, and when you do, they're prohibitively expensive.

Thanks for the rec on The Dectectorists -- will definitely check that out. We've been increasingly drawn to British dramas and miniseries over the past couple of years. PBS's Call The Midwife, which normally isn't my cup of tea, has turned out to be a favorite of ours...it aptly captures the feel and emotions of its setting in time (50s & 60s). We try to check out what's new on Masterpiece once in awhile...Masterpiece's (non-musical) mini-series remake of Les Miserables a year or so ago was particularly outstanding with an awesome cast (thought-provoking ending, too).

Homicide was one of my favorite shows too! Back in the late 90s it was fun to see where they filmed in Fells Point.  RE: Evil Genius, while watching that show I realized I had recently been to the area around where all that stuff went down in Eire, pretty sure I I had been in the parking lot where the bomb went off...kinda crazy.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Oh, MAN -- Homicide is one of my all-time favorite TV shows. Super cast, great writing...some of the best writers/directors/producers at work on that show, many of which carried over from St. Elsewhere (my favorite-ever TV series). So hard to find Homicide streaming, though -- and it's tough to find the seasons on DVD, and when you do, they're prohibitively expensive.

I think I have seasons 1-4 from Homicide on DVD in a box somewhere.  The cinematography on that show was so different from any other shows back then.  The acting was superb too.  I remember working downtown right after I graduated from college and seeing the set up to shoot all around the city.  Really cool to see what they were producing. 

Mackenzie Crook wrote "the Detectorists".  He was also in the British version of the Office and in the Pirates of the Carribean.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

The definition of political here seems to be “anything that upsets a lot of people”. Fine. But not the same as political. 

Why do you need to have discussions that end up pissing people off and making enemies?  I am 100% sure if that first damn thread was NEVER allowed in the first place some people would still be posting.  No.  We tried to let things run their course and what happened was more arguing and eventually it got political and nasty.  Randy has ALWAYS stressed that wx side is wx side and the slight banter is meant to allow for fun and lighthearted non wx talk.  Upsetting people shouldn't be the goal here.  Effing weather does that enough with many here.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic