Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter 2021

George BM

37 minutes ago, H2O said:

I got snookered into joining and was really just trying to help because the board was short staffed.  And the role I took on was supposed to be lazy and easy.  Little did I know we chose to do some things that made it a lot more time consuming.  Add in the stuff from last year and it got to be too much.  I decided to step down for my own sanity.

I see what our team rep has to deal with and I swear that friend is a saint.  I don't know how she does it.  I'd erupt on some parents.  They just turn into some of the nastiest people on earth if they don't get their way.  As far as helping during meets I think I have done every job other than S&T, Ref and starter.  Not even sure why I took over Chief Timer.  oh I know why.  Working a grill during a B meet in the middle of summer sucked.  Especially after a day at work.....where I work outside.....all day.....yeah.

I'd ask more about the pool you belong to and the one I belong to as I think we may have crossed paths.  Probably better to do via PM.  Also might try to suggest a gtg for some of us snow anus denizens.  There seems to be about 4-5 of us locals all within a short distance of each other.  You, me, @mattie g @GATECH and @WeatherShak

I just got lumped in with the lowlands near DCA.

:(

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, George BM said:

Good morning weather family! I just have a quick question for you all?

Is anyone else getting an error message saying that they're offline from tropicaltidbits.com ? 

Maybe their cert expired. I’ve seen that happen enough times as part of the support for my last job. Or maybe they’re also tired of this winter and taking a vacation before revving up for squall line season.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

So if this is a “weather” only board why do we have a banter thread or one on bugs and gardens and beer?  No one complains when we discuss lots of topics unrelated to weather. I understand “no politics” given the current climate but I’m annoyed that it feels like we are extending that to “anything that involves disagreement”.  AGW isn’t political just because one party decides to pretend it’s not real for financial reasons!  A virus isn’t political just because one political party decides to pretend it’s not that bad because they didn’t want to do anything about it.  Our political parties have opinions on almost EVERYTHING. What if tomorrow one of the parties decides beer is bad and some of their sycophants start making angry posts when we discuss our drinks in here...will that suddenly make that off limits too?   It’s annoying that we let that determine what we can discuss and label topics political when that aren’t political at all, unless your definition of political is “something a political party has an opinion on” in which case EVERYTHING is political!  Why not ban the clowns who can’t have a conversation like an adult and get hostile v banking a while conversation. And if someone says something you disagree with and you don’t want to engage you can always just ignore it.  I don’t get why we’re so sensitive to EVERYTHING anymore. On a larger scale in society ignoring each other will never improve this. We need more adult conversation and sharing of ideas not less. 

You as a parent should know and understand parenting wars. I have been in my fair share of the middle of a whole host of them. Breastfeeding/Formula, Cloth diaper/disposables, Public/Private School, boy/girl, yes that one exists and gets nasty, Organic/Non Organic I could go on and on and on and on. At the end of the day when I have tried to say what as a parent is best for my children certain posters here like to get into the "mommy" wars and in a round about way try to say your way of parenting is flawed and wrong. This very reason is why for the first time on a message board, yep you read that right, have a few members on ignore. I am all for discussion of differing views, what I am not up for is a bashing in a passive aggressive nature to say I am a better parent than you are. Because that is what is going on behind the scenes. 

You all know I tend to be a level headed poster. But I do not come here, even in banter, to be engaged in parenting wars. The whole COVID school opening vs. not vs. hybrid vs. not is right at the top of the parenting wars currently. When I tell someone that my decision I have made for my children and my family is different than theirs that should be the end of it. And vice versa on my end. I applaud the mods for understanding that this particular discussion has gone way beyond the typical I don't like vs. well I like discussion. And if it needs to be tabled for the time being until everyone can respect each others views so be it. 

Now back to the food posting and maybe occasional photos of my crazy ass cat. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

@North Balti Zen

Why did u feel the need to quote 2 of my posts in the main thread ? 

That Hurricane1091  guy was trolling so I let em have it . That simple 

Because you don’t make the rules. Just because YOU track every flake on your mountain into May doesn’t mean you get to chase off those who don’t. That’s why. You do this every year. It’s bullshit. 

1 hour ago, mappy said:

tough shit. we aren't going to go down the rabbit hole of political policies regarding covid. 

That’s fine the admins and mods have the right to run the board however they want. And I have the right to disagree and say so. You can delete my posts. I’ve had dozens of posts deleted for “political” reasons over the years and I’ve never once complained about it. It’s your right. I just don’t agree that we should ban topics that aren’t inherently political every time a political group decides to exploit that subject!  

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

That’s fine the admins and mods have the right to run the board however they want. And I have the right to disagree and say so. You can delete my posts. I’ve had dozens of posts deleted for “political” reasons over the years and I’ve never once complained about it. It’s your right. I just don’t agree that we should ban topics that aren’t inherently political every time a political group decides to exploit that subject!  

Oh I am so glad you have given me the permission to delete your posts. Thank you so much. 

Covid leads to political discussions, and that's the only topic I am currently referencing right now. No one has mentioned banning any and all topics, so take your exaggerations elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, wxtrix said:

there’s a covid thread in the politics forum. knock yourself out there.

Yea I never took well when my sister in law tried to tell me and my brother what topics we could and couldn’t discuss at the dinner table either.  Maybe I don’t want to discuss it with random trolls I don’t know on some other forum. I know the people here.  We have online relationships. Some I have relationships offline.  I want to discuss things with THEM!  If the powers that be decide we can’t so be it but don’t act like going somewhere else is a simple solution.  

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Yea I never took well when my sister in law tried to tell me and my brother what topics we could and couldn’t discuss at the dinner table either.  Maybe I don’t want to discuss it with random trolls I don’t know on some other forum. I know the people here.  We have online relationships. Some I have relationships offline.  I want to discuss things with THEM!  If the powers that be decide we can’t so be it but don’t act like going somewhere else is a simple solution.  

We are not going to be discussing politics here. End of story. 

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Take it to PM if typing another web address is just too hard for you

36 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

You as a parent should know and understand parenting wars. I have been in my fair share of the middle of a whole host of them. Breastfeeding/Formula, Cloth diaper/disposables, Public/Private School, boy/girl, yes that one exists and gets nasty, Organic/Non Organic I could go on and on and on and on. At the end of the day when I have tried to say what as a parent is best for my children certain posters here like to get into the "mommy" wars and in a round about way try to say your way of parenting is flawed and wrong. This very reason is why for the first time on a message board, yep you read that right, have a few members on ignore. I am all for discussion of differing views, what I am not up for is a bashing in a passive aggressive nature to say I am a better parent than you are. Because that is what is going on behind the scenes. 

You all know I tend to be a level headed poster. But I do not come here, even in banter, to be engaged in parenting wars. The whole COVID school opening vs. not vs. hybrid vs. not is right at the top of the parenting wars currently. When I tell someone that my decision I have made for my children and my family is different than theirs that should be the end of it. And vice versa on my end. I applaud the mods for understanding that this particular discussion has gone way beyond the typical I don't like vs. well I like discussion. And if it needs to be tabled for the time being until everyone can respect each others views so be it. 

Now back to the food posting and maybe occasional photos of my crazy ass cat. 

Fair enough but here is my frustration with this...it’s NOT about that!  My post was very clearly trying to point out this isn’t about the students.   I’ve said several times that this is about the STAFF safety not the students.  But everyone ignores that and goes back to arguing over what’s best for their kids!  

Fair enough but here is my frustration with this...it’s NOT about that!  My post was very clearly trying to point out this isn’t about the students.   I’ve said several times that this is about the STAFF safety not the students.  But everyone ignores that and goes back to arguing over what’s best for their kids!  

Oh I totally agree with you. But unfortunately it has been taken to what I described and you have said as much yourself. Believe me I have been a target of it right here on this board so I know what I am talking about. And you are right this topic should absolutely not be political. But it has been dragged there time and time again. And believe me no matter how many times you try to steer it back to safety for the staff it will end right back up on parents on parents for who knows best for their kids. Yes it sucks that we cannot have civil discussions in this forum. But the minute someone takes it to where it does not belong it needs to be tabled. :)

• Like 2

Made a recommendation last week for "Nomadland" starring Frances McDormand just released on Hulu...stand by that, best flick I've seen in many years.

My wife and I then switched back over to Netflix the past several days to start cleaning out our watchlists there and started a several- years-old documentary called "Evil Genius," about the 2003 "Pizza Bomber" bank heist in Erie, PA. Very compelling. Only four episodes long, but don't miss it if you like the true crime genre -- conspirators highlighted in the series definitely fit the title.

BTW, best documentary I ever saw on any of the streamers was "The Keepers" on Netflix, about the late 1960s disappearance/murder of Sister Cathy in Catonsville, MD.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, vastateofmind said:

Made a recommendation last week for "Nomadland" starring Frances McDormand just released on Hulu...stand by that, best flick I've seen in many years.

My wife and I then switched back over to Netflix the past several days to start cleaning out our watchlists there and started a several- years-old documentary called "Evil Genius," about the 2003 "Pizza Bomber" bank heist in Erie, PA. Very compelling. Only four episodes long, but don't miss it if you like the true crime genre -- conspirators highlighted in the series definitely fit the title.

BTW, best documentary I ever saw on any of the streamers was "The Keepers" on Netflix, about the late 1960s disappearance/murder of Sister Cathy in Catonsville, MD.

OH thanks for that recommendation of the documentary. Will put it in the que. And yes The Keepers was a very well done documentary. My oldest is into cold case crimes and while when I watched it a few years ago would not let her watch it. Told her that I will sit down with her and watch it as she is older now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

so many good documentaries!!  Keepers is cool cause it has a lot of Balt History in it... Check out Mommie Dead and Dearest on HBO.. such a crazy story.  Also checkout The Case Against Adnan Syed .. BUT.. if you havent listened to it already.. listen to Serial first.. the hands down GOAT of podcasts

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

OH thanks for that recommendation of the documentary. Will put it in the que. And yes The Keepers was a very well done documentary. My oldest is into cold case crimes and while when I watched it a few years ago would not let her watch it. Told her that I will sit down with her and watch it as she is older now. 

You're a great mom to help her screen that kind of stuff.  :)  I'm sure she'd like Evil Genius, with the usual "mature content" caveats -- as with most of these situations, there were wronged lovers, a bit of prostitution, and, ummm...a body stuffed in a freezer. Not to mention the semi-graphic news footage of the poor Pizza Bomber. You just can't make this stuff up.

12 minutes ago, blueberryfaygo said:

so many good documentaries!!  Keepers is cool cause it has a lot of Balt History in it... Check out Mommie Dead and Dearest on HBO.. such a crazy story.  Also checkout The Case Against Adnan Syed .. BUT.. if you havent listened to it already.. listen to Serial first.. the hands down GOAT of podcasts

Absolutely -- The Keepers was SO well done, and I loved seeing/learning more about the Baltimore city/county areas, though not necessarily under those circumstances. Thx for the HBO recommendations -- we did watch the Adnan Syed doc (after I listened to the first season of Serial podcast), and both were excellent. You also just reminded me -- we watched an outstanding docu last year about Aaron Hernandez and the legal troubles leading up to his death...I think it was on Netflix?

EDIT:  Even after all of the media saturation....I'm still not quite convinced that Adnan Syed killed Hae Min Lee.

• Like 1

Hey, does anyone know where I can find snow spotter reports/spotter maps from 2015 and before? Checking on the official LWX page only has it go back to the March 5 2015 event for some reason. I could've sworn it had events before that too, but it must've updated. I'm asking mainly because I'm trying to reconstruct some of the snowfalls from that period, as I only started keeping track in March of that year. Thanks in advance!

8 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

You're a great mom to help her screen that kind of stuff.  :)  I'm sure she'd like Evil Genius, with the usual "mature content" caveats -- as with most of these situations, there were wronged lovers, a bit of prostitution, and, ummm...a body stuffed in a freezer. Not to mention the semi-graphic news footage of the poor Pizza Bomber. You just can't make this stuff up.

Absolutely -- The Keepers was SO well done, and I loved seeing/learning more about the Baltimore city/county areas, though not necessarily under those circumstances. Thx for the HBO recommendations -- we did watch the Adnan Syed doc (after I listened to the first season of Serial podcast), and both were excellent. You also just reminded me -- we watched an outstanding docu last year about Aaron Hernandez and the legal troubles leading up to his death...I think it was on Netflix?

Thanks! We have always had an open door policy in our house. I grew up with crappy communication in my family and it lead to a lot of arguments and yelling. I swore to never have that in my house. Seems to have worked. So my girls probably have seen things that most parents would not show. They loved watching Nature on PBS when younger. So when "the" talk came up it was so much easier as they had already seen animals go at it. :D

She is one of those kids who when born is an old soul. She has always been mature for her age and she likes to understand how the mind works. Just finished an into to Psych class to see if she wanted to take a dual enrollment course in it. Liked it so much that she signed up for the course for next year. She says she does not want to major in Psych in college but I think she would do well with it. Just need to find the right aspect of it for her. That and she does not want to have to do graduate school. Told her that she may feel that way now but if she really gets into it that might change. Floated the idea of a minor in Psych and that seemed to get more traction. :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mappy said:

cool story. we aren't discussing politics here. Randy has requested it, and you all just need to accept it :) 

No one is questioning your authority to regulate the board. But people have the right to say they disagree with a policy. You don’t have to care or listen or give a single shit but not everyone is going to agree with every decision.  Doesn’t matter you can set the rules however you want and enforce them and I’ve never questioned that or complained when you delete one of my posts. Totally legit.

3 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Hey, does anyone know where I can find snow spotter reports/spotter maps from 2015 and before? Checking on the official LWX page only has it go back to the March 5 2015 event for some reason. I could've sworn it had events before that too, but it must've updated. I'm asking mainly because I'm trying to reconstruct some of the snowfalls from that period, as I only started keeping track in March of that year. Thanks in advance!

The climod  system had coop data. 
http://climod2.nrcc.cornell.edu

No one is questioning your authority to regulate the board. But people have the right to say they disagree with a policy. You don’t have to care or listen or give a single shit but not everyone is going to agree with every decision.  Doesn’t matter you can set the rules however you want and enforce them and I’ve never questioned that or complained when you delete one of my posts. Totally legit.

Great. Thanks. From now on, I highly suggest you take your complaints directly to Randy. You all don't seem to give a shit when I repeat the same words as him, for reasons I cannot explain. I'm tired of repeating myself to you. 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic