Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2021

George BM

Just now, losetoa6 said:

I never understood after all these years why every season posters have to ruin the main threads with there negative its over , its spring , let the slop melt, I hated this season, wet snow in March sucks , be miserable like me posts . 

I wont crap up the discussion threads but I will say this in banter- I would love a 2 week sunny and dry stretch, regardless of the temperatures.

Sure I will take a random March snow event, but it isn't going to change my feelings about this winter. It is no better than a C.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mappy said:

weve begun our south carolina rental search for a september trip. 

Best time to go to the beach, at least on East Coast. My wife and I went to OBX for years, pre-kids, during the 3rd week of September...when the seasonal rates dropped, businesses/restaurants were still open, and the wx was still perfect down there.

• Like 1

Just now, vastateofmind said:

Best time to go to the beach, at least on East Coast. My wife and I went to OBX for years, pre-kids, during the 3rd week of September...when the seasonal rates dropped, businesses/restaurants were still open, and the wx was still perfect down there.

and less crowds! which makes the trip even more amazing. could care less that my kid misses a week of school, give me the sun, surf and sand in september

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I never understood after all these years why every season posters have to ruin the main threads with there negative its over , its spring , let the slop melt, I hated this season, wet snow in March sucks , be miserable like me posts . 

Your last 5 words are why

8 minutes ago, mappy said:

I agree, if you've canceled winter, or a threat, or even said you're leaving all together... you should gtfo and let others who still wanna talk weather, talk weather.

Reminds me of of what Don and Mike used to tell their callers...if you don't like our show, change the channel. 

1 minute ago, toolsheds said:

Reminds me of of what Don and Mike used to tell their callers...if you don't like our show, change the channel. 

Amen

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

South Jersey posters coming into our forum with that crap need to be slapped down hard. That dude isn’t one of us. MODS?

you could just ignore him and not give him the satisfaction of succeeding at trolling. but ill keep an eye out. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Well I’m feeling pretty optimistic on this year. Going to take a real vacation, eat inside at restaurants, let the kids stay with their grandparents, go to our neighborhood pool, etc. 

That's awesome.

We'll do the last one, for sure. Last summer we still went to the pool, but it was limited to 2-hour blocks with limits on the number of people allowed at the pool (though I don't think they ever hit the limit) and you had to sign up by 7:00 am on the morning you wanted to go. No indication that COVID was transmitted this way, but we're lucky in that our neighborhood is filled with folks who can remote work, wear masks all the time, etc.

We're also excited to have our girls do swim team again, which I assume will be a go this summer. Even last year they did a "Camp Quarantine" to keep the swim team going, but it wasn't the same without meets and the like. Even if I have to wear a mask to be a meet timer or to flip burgers, I'm excited to have that back in our lives!

• Like 2

Just now, mattie g said:

That's awesome.

We'll do the last one, for sure. Last summer we still went to the pool, but it was limited to 2-hour blocks with limits on the number of people allowed at the pool (though I don't think they ever hit the limit) and you had to sign up by 7:00 am on the morning you wanted to go. No indication that COVID was transmitted this way, but we're lucky in that our neighborhood is filled with folks who can remote work, wear masks all the time, etc.

We're also excited to have our girls do swim team again, which I assume will be a go this summer. Even last year they did a "Camp Quarantine" to keep the swim team going, but it wasn't the same without meets and the like. Even if I have to wear a mask to be a meet timer or to flip burgers, I'm excited to have that back in our lives!

I was on the board of the pool we belong to and I'll tell you that it was one of the most miserable experiences of my life.  Just trying to salvage a pool season in the midst of a pandemic wasn't easy.  Then you had the complainers.  OMG.  the selfishness exhibited by some was unreal.

I too am glad it looks like summer swim will be back and my girls will be a part of the pool swim team.  i don't expect it to be like it has been but I'll take something over nothing.  And I am chief timer for our meets.  Only sucky part is not being allowed to cheer my kids during A meets.

25 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

That’s our favorite time to go there!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mattie g said:

We annually lease our share in the neighborhood pool these days, but I do know they did the Sign-Up Genius approach to offer pool attendance in blocks last summer, with mixed results. Lots of complaints, obviously. I felt the worst for the NVSL summer swim/dive teams -- that was such a great source of fun, camaraderie and excess-energy burning for our two sons for well over 15 years.

18 minutes ago, H2O said:

I was on the board of the pool we belong to and I'll tell you that it was one of the most miserable experiences of my life.  Just trying to salvage a pool season in the midst of a pandemic wasn't easy.  Then you had the complainers.  OMG.  the selfishness exhibited by some was unreal.

I too am glad it looks like summer swim will be back and my girls will be a part of the pool swim team.  i don't expect it to be like it has been but I'll take something over nothing.  And I am chief timer for our meets.  Only sucky part is not being allowed to cheer my kids during A meets.

Never served on our pool board (and to your point -- THANK GOD), but my wife and I each held down at least once all of the major roles/positions for the NVSL summer swim team (except refereeing)...and that was bad enough. My wife served as a team rep for a few seasons, which next to being a pool board member, is probably one of the most thankless and soul-crushing volunteer jobs someone can take on. My favorite was serving as S&T judge...best seat in the house, and that's how I used to recruit others to it.  :) 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, H2O said:

I can only imagine. Definitely saw lots of complaints from the holier-than-thou and COVID-doesn't-matter crowds, but overall I think folks understood that it was tough to find a good balance last summer.

Agreed that this summer's swim team will likely be a little different, but hopefully it won't be too disrupted. We've got young kids, so we haven't been ground to the bone by summer swim just yet! :lol:

5 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

We annually lease our share in the neighborhood pool these days, but I do know they did the Sign-Up Genius approach to offer pool attendance in blocks last summer, with mixed results. Lots of complaints, obviously. I felt the worst for the NVSL summer swim/dive teams -- that was such a great source of fun, camaraderie and excess-energy burning for our two sons for well over 15 years.

Never served on our pool board (and to your point -- THANK GOD), but my wife and I each held down at least once all of the major roles/positions for the NVSL summer swim team (except refereeing)...and that was bad enough. My wife served as a team rep for a few seasons, which next to being a pool board member, is probably one of the most thankless and soul-crushing volunteer jobs someone can take on. My favorite was serving as S&T judge...best seat in the house, and that's how I used to recruit others to it.  :) 

Exactly what our pool did - Sign-Up Genius - and it worked pretty well overall.

Totally agree on the fun, camaraderie, and burning of energy! As I mentioned to H2O, our kids are still young so we absolutely "need" that outlet for them during the summer months since they're not ready to go out and "find their own fun" all day long.

I only started as a timer last year, but I definitely want to be more involved. I grew up playing all manner of sports and did so through and well after college, so I have that itch for being involved in competition, and for now summer swim is the one way to do that!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I got snookered into joining and was really just trying to help because the board was short staffed.  And the role I took on was supposed to be lazy and easy.  Little did I know we chose to do some things that made it a lot more time consuming.  Add in the stuff from last year and it got to be too much.  I decided to step down for my own sanity.

I see what our team rep has to deal with and I swear that friend is a saint.  I don't know how she does it.  I'd erupt on some parents.  They just turn into some of the nastiest people on earth if they don't get their way.  As far as helping during meets I think I have done every job other than S&T, Ref and starter.  Not even sure why I took over Chief Timer.  oh I know why.  Working a grill during a B meet in the middle of summer sucked.  Especially after a day at work.....where I work outside.....all day.....yeah.

I'd ask more about the pool you belong to and the one I belong to as I think we may have crossed paths.  Probably better to do via PM.  Also might try to suggest a gtg for some of us snow anus denizens.  There seems to be about 4-5 of us locals all within a short distance of each other.  You, me, @mattie g @GATECH and @WeatherShak

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I wont crap up the discussion threads but I will say this in banter- I would love a 2 week sunny and dry stretch, regardless of the temperatures.

Sure I will take a random March snow event, but it isn't going to change my feelings about this winter. It is no better than a C.

Here is where I have been this wet winter. Mud has been extra special. Glad I have not lost a boot this year. 

F05DF703-4EC7-457D-BD76-F98DB7F927AA.jpeg

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, mappy said:

now move it along. if you wanna get into more details, PM each other. this topic always goes to places it shouldn't for a weather forum. 

So if this is a “weather” only board why do we have a banter thread or one on bugs and gardens and beer?  No one complains when we discuss lots of topics unrelated to weather. I understand “no politics” given the current climate but I’m annoyed that it feels like we are extending that to “anything that involves disagreement”.  AGW isn’t political just because one party decides to pretend it’s not real for financial reasons!  A virus isn’t political just because one political party decides to pretend it’s not that bad because they didn’t want to do anything about it.  Our political parties have opinions on almost EVERYTHING. What if tomorrow one of the parties decides beer is bad and some of their sycophants start making angry posts when we discuss our drinks in here...will that suddenly make that off limits too?   It’s annoying that we let that determine what we can discuss and label topics political when that aren’t political at all, unless your definition of political is “something a political party has an opinion on” in which case EVERYTHING is political!  Why not ban the clowns who can’t have a conversation like an adult and get hostile v banking a while conversation. And if someone says something you disagree with and you don’t want to engage you can always just ignore it.  I don’t get why we’re so sensitive to EVERYTHING anymore. On a larger scale in society ignoring each other will never improve this. We need more adult conversation and sharing of ideas not less. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, George BM said:

Good morning weather family! I just have a quick question for you all?

Is anyone else getting an error message saying that they're offline from tropicaltidbits.com ? 

Yup. Same. I noticed that yesterday when I tried to run the GFS (hunting dry weather) and got the same message. Now it seems the entire site is down.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

So if this is a “weather” only board why do we have a banter thread or one on bugs and gardens and beer?  No one complains when we discuss lots of topics unrelated to weather. I understand “no politics” given the current climate but I’m annoyed that it feels like we are extending that to “anything that involves disagreement”.  AGW isn’t political just because one party decides to pretend it’s not real for financial reasons!  A virus isn’t political just because one political party decides to pretend it’s not that bad because they didn’t want to do anything about it.  Our political parties have opinions on almost EVERYTHING. What if tomorrow one of the parties decides beer is bad and some of their sycophants start making angry posts when we discuss our drinks in here...will that suddenly make that off limits too?   It’s annoying that we let that determine what we can discuss and label topics political when that aren’t political at all, unless your definition of political is “something a political party has an opinion on” in which case EVERYTHING is political!  Why not ban the clowns who can’t have a conversation like an adult and get hostile v banking a while conversation. And if someone says something you disagree with and you don’t want to engage you can always just ignore it.  I don’t get why we’re so sensitive to EVERYTHING anymore. On a larger scale in society ignoring each other will never improve this. We need more adult conversation and sharing of ideas not less. 

I am soooo sorry for this, but remember this from years ago.    

I got snookered into joining and was really just trying to help because the board was short staffed.  And the role I took on was supposed to be lazy and easy.  Little did I know we chose to do some things that made it a lot more time consuming.  Add in the stuff from last year and it got to be too much.  I decided to step down for my own sanity.
I see what our team rep has to deal with and I swear that friend is a saint.  I don't know how she does it.  I'd erupt on some parents.  They just turn into some of the nastiest people on earth if they don't get their way.  As far as helping during meets I think I have done every job other than S&T, Ref and starter.  Not even sure why I took over Chief Timer.  oh I know why.  Working a grill during a B meet in the middle of summer sucked.  Especially after a day at work.....where I work outside.....all day.....yeah.
I'd ask more about the pool you belong to and the one I belong to as I think we may have crossed paths.  Probably better to do via PM.  Also might try to suggest a gtg for some of us snow anus denizens.  There seems to be about 4-5 of us locals all within a short distance of each other.  You, me, [mention=1705]mattie g[/mention] [mention=697]GATECH[/mention] and [mention=8276]WeatherShak[/mention]

Happy to host on my deck when we’re all comfortable doing so.

• Like 1

For the record, i dont care if you all talk about beer, or vacations, or any of that stuff.

but we have asked, over and over again, to please keep politics out of this subforum and some of you still fail to grasp that request. covid turns to politics, every single time. sharing tips about getting friends vaccinations is one thing -- going on about schools and all that is another beast entirely.

please just do your best to bite your tongue and keep the politics aspect out of it. if you have to scratch that itch, there are other places you can go to do that. THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR IT. 

• Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic