Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2021

George BM

Just now, H2O said:

Ok stop. We aren’t doing this shit. 

@losetoa6 didn’t say anything wrong. He hasn’t been hostile to anyone.  He didn’t insult anyone.  You know...it’s a virus. It’s NOT political.  Covid dont care what your ideology is. It’s only political so far as our two parties adopted a specific stance on the virus. But that can be true of ANYTHING!  I’m tired of having topics eliminated from what we can discuss everytime the left or right decides to take a group ideological position on something.  So as soon as either party decides to put something in their platform suddenly it’s off limits?  F that and F them. That’s BS. Total garbage BS.  We have to be able to discuss things that aren’t inherently political amicably and intelligently regardless of what some political party decides to say. It’s lazy to ban the whole topic v simply deleting posts that go to far and turn the discussion in a hostile way. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Get it out . What's your problem with me? . What have I done to you honestly.  I'm asking 

In the recent past only certain people's posts have been hide or deleted . 

If it makes you feel any better I’ve had plenty of posts deleted by mods over the years for being “too political” and they were mostly liberal leaning.  I just think everyone is too sensitive on both sides. Banning discussion is not the answer Imo. If someone can’t keep it clean and amicable then they can get banned. No reason people that can be adults and have a normal rational discussion and disagree/debate without being childish and nasty shouldnt be able too just because of trolls.  We need more discourse not less imo. 

1 hour ago, HighStakes said:

A school employee at one of the local middle schools here died a few months ago due to Covid. The situation was hushed. How many other cases were not disclosed?

North Carroll Middle?  My mother retired from there last year right before Covid hit.  I'm very glad that she decided to retire since she is 76 and doesn't need the stress.

My wife has been back in a Catholic school in Ellicott City since September 5 days a week.  She was extremely worried at first and does get concerned, but thankfully she has been safe.  She did get the first shot a few weeks ago and is scheduled to get the second one next week. 

We let our kids choose if they went back to the Hybrid Model at South Carroll and they both decided to.  Unfortunately, My 10th grade daughter tested positive after the last game of basketball  2/14.   We understood the risks and she has recovered from a very slight case.  Thankfully nobody else in the house has had any symptoms since we have been homebound for the past 2 weeks.  The kids and wife go back to school next week when quarantine is up and we will still all wear our masks until restrictions have eased and respect others choices.

I agree with a lot of points made here this evening, but most of all I just wished that we could all respect the fact the each and every one of us has differing opinions, and that is not a bad thing.  What is a bad thing is when we don't respect (not agree)  others ability to have a differing opinion if it is different. 

If more people in general just stopped being so stubborn, this world would be such a nicer place to live. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

I hate Comcast. Our internet has been out since this morning. And the earliest they can send someone is 5-7p tomorrow. I’ve spent 90 minutes on the phone with them today trying to troubleshoot. 

Sorry, that's a PITA. If you're able to consider other options, do you have access to Verizon FiOS at your address? I know lots of folks hate Verizon, too, but I can tell you in over 15 years of having FiOS, I can count on three fingers the amount of times we ever lost internet, TV or our landline (or any combination of them).

Just now, vastateofmind said:

Sorry, that's a PITA. If you're able to consider other options, do you have access to Verizon FiOS at your address? I know lots of folks hate Verizon, too, but I can tell you in over 15 years of having FiOS, I can count on three fingers the amount of times we ever lost internet, TV or our landline (or any combination of them).

THe newer half of my neighborhood can get FIOS....that is 2 houses down from me.  :-(

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Yeah, they recently wired our neighborhood for FIOS...I’d change in a heartbeat. But we’re in the process of selling/buying so I’m holding off changing it. I checked our house we are buying in Alexandria last night and no FIOS there. yay more Comcast! 

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

If it makes you feel any better I’ve had plenty of posts deleted by mods over the years for being “too political” and they were mostly liberal leaning.  I just think everyone is too sensitive on both sides. Banning discussion is not the answer Imo. If someone can’t keep it clean and amicable then they can get banned. No reason people that can be adults and have a normal rational discussion and disagree/debate without being childish and nasty shouldnt be able too just because of trolls.  We need more discourse not less imo. 

I didn't scroll down before I finished responding to my reply above and just saw this.  I grew up very conservative and always thinking like I thought my father wanted me to think.  As I got older and began to meet people from different cultures and diverse backgrounds, I learned a lot about how my views might be close-minded.  I learned a lot form just meeting new people and talking with them.  When we have open discussions and dialog, you do have an opportunity to see topics from a different mindset and maybe learn a little bit.  We can never stop learning, but to do so, you have to have an open mind. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

Can we move on from politics? We get enough of that sht all around us and this is quickly devolving into that.  I come here to get away from liberal, conservative, etc. 

It’s a virus. It’s not politics. Our political parties have opinions on EVERYTHING, even the weather BTW!  Just because our parties have a stance on something doesn’t make it political. I promise you covid don’t care what your ideology is. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It’s a virus. It’s not politics. Our political parties have opinions on EVERYTHING, even the weather BTW!  Just because our parties have a stance on something doesn’t make it political. I promise you covid don’t care what your ideology is. 

Covid, no. But based on the post above mine, easy to see the direction we’re going. And that’s the last I’ll say on it as I don’t want to keep it going. 

16 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

North Carroll Middle?  My mother retired from there last year right before Covid hit.  I'm very glad that she decided to retire since she is 76 and doesn't need the stress.

My wife has been back in a Catholic school in Ellicott City since September 5 days a week.  She was extremely worried at first and does get concerned, but thankfully she has been safe.  She did get the first shot a few weeks ago and is scheduled to get the second one next week. 

We let our kids choose if they went back to the Hybrid Model at South Carroll and they both decided to.  Unfortunately, My 10th grade daughter tested positive after the last game of basketball  2/14.   We understood the risks and she has recovered from a very slight case.  Thankfully nobody else in the house has had any symptoms since we have been homebound for the past 2 weeks.  The kids and wife go back to school next week when quarantine is up and we will still all wear our masks until restrictions have eased and respect others choices.

I agree with a lot of points made here this evening, but most of all I just wished that we could all respect the fact the each and every one of us has differing opinions, and that is not a bad thing.  What is a bad thing is when we don't respect (not agree)  others ability to have a differing opinion if it is different. 

If more people in general just stopped being so stubborn, this world would be such a nicer place to live. 

Good post. Yes it was North Carroll Middle. 

I have a 2 daughter's at Manchester Valley High School. One of them is starting in person tomorrow. The other one wants to start some time in March. I'm ok with it now. I also have a daughter in 5th grade at Ebb Valley Elementary and a stepson at North Carroll Middle. Both of them will go back in March.  Most leading doctors agree they should go back in person in some form.  I guess we'll see how everything plays out with more vaccines being distributed and new strains of the virus becoming more prevalent. We're still being as careful as possible and hoping for the best.

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

These are weak arguments anymore.  There's nothing in the science anymore that says there's any elevated risk in schools.  The can can't be kicked anymore.  It's broken in 100 pieces too small to kick lol.

Schools in every state and every country have all these  issues and with bigger populations in many cases. They found a way to make it work since August and some cases since mid summer . BUT MARYLAND OR BALTIMORE IS DIFFERENT?My brothers kids in York  have been in school since August 5 days a week . My relatives in Somerset ,Pa similar . Nobody has died . It's safe. 

Your kids ?    Your 1- 2 classes of 30  ?  5% ? This has to be an extreme anomaly I'm sorry I'm not buying this for vast majority. 

There have been poles for months showing 50% to 75% of parents and teachers wanted at least some in person.  

I'm sure the mods will delete my opinion. 

Go back and re read your post and PSUs post. Your covid posts tend to come off as your thoughts are perfect and if someone doesnt agree they are stupid.  You use random data points from your bro then immediately discount what PSU said as an anomaly.

A discussion also involves listening and I really havent seen you ever do that in these covid threads. 

Personally we decided 24 days in school wasnt worth the risk. Once we explained what the classroom was going to be like our daughter was fine with finishing virtual. She isnt a big fan but has done well and her teacher has done a really good job this year. We have organised several gifts from the class for her hard work and have done a couple personally. We were hoping to give out donuts and coffee for all the school staff when they return next week but decided that might be too risky. Hoping to do something at the end of the year to make the teachers feel appreciated. 

I know not all kids are doing well. Those with means found alternatives. I agree we missed on providing a safe place for those most at risk. Howard had very limited slots for kids to come in and have reliable internet and an adult watching them. They also had small groups return in the fall but were cancelled when our numbers spiked. I wish some of the stimulus could have gone to increase that capacity. I also hope we can offer tutoring and summer school for those that arent where they need to be at year end. 

Around 50% of Howard kids are remaining virtual, so this isnt a topic where there is a majority one way or the other.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/howard/cng-ho-student-return-hybrid-form-20210212-eyn7jyq7lrhjbagjqac3elwvra-story.html

• Weenie 1

every family will do what is best for them and their situation. there is no right or wrong answer. what works for one, doesn't work for the other. and you need to figure out how to respect each other when it comes to the decisions one makes for their families. 

• Like 4

Just now, losetoa6 said:

That's the point Mappy . There's only been 1 choice  . And it's been the wrong answer for many families for going on a year . It sure as heck hasn't worked for them .

And now there is a choice. So no more complaining. You've been sending your kids for weeks, if not longer since Carroll moved faster than other counties. What everyone else does, doesn't concern you nor should you comment about it. 

New topic please. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Well I’m feeling pretty optimistic on this year. Going to take a real vacation, eat inside at restaurants, let the kids stay with their grandparents, go to our neighborhood pool, etc. 

Yes! We already booked a week in Florida in June and OC in July.  

Didn't go anywhere last year and ready for the beach! 

8 hours ago, toolsheds said:

The newer half of my neighborhood can get FIOS....that is 2 houses down from me.  :-(

Oh, man, now that does suck. I've heard of this happening with FiOS -- folks just missing the cutoff by a block -- although in our subdivision of 700+ homes, I don't believe the "newer" half (built with underground utilities) got access to FiOS until a year or so after the "older" half where I live...and which has above-ground utility poles/wires. Didn't make sense to me.

8 hours ago, nj2va said:

Yeah, they recently wired our neighborhood for FIOS...I’d change in a heartbeat. But we’re in the process of selling/buying so I’m holding off changing it. I checked our house we are buying in Alexandria last night and no FIOS there. yay more Comcast! 

Congrats to you! Forgot you mentioned a local move last week, I usually see your pics of western MD and think of you there first.  :)  And sorry you can't get FiOS in Alexandria...that seems like an odd omission so close to the District, but if I recall, Verizon has cut back on expanding optical fiber infrastructure in recent years. It's a shame they can't figure out a way to take the FiOS show on the road nationally...they're the only internet provider that's provided me the download/upload speeds that I actually pay for.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Yes! We already booked a week in Florida in June and OC in July.  

Didn't go anywhere last year and ready for the beach! 

It is also about time to lift the international travel restrictions for the masses. There are enough exceptions to the "bans' that every variant of the virus ends up here anyway, so what's the point? Test, mask up, and quarantine if required.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic