• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2021

George BM

Those are two great videos that @Hank Scorpio shared, @SomeguyfromTakomaPark -- during this brood's last emergence, I worked at Fort Belvoir where there's wide swaths of mature trees and the thing I remember most about the experience is that underlying, alien trilling sound. At the height of emergence, yes, it was loud -- but I found the noise of the 17-year cicadas was far less grating and almost soothing...as opposed to annual cicadas which can instantly ruin any relaxing downtime in your backyard with their ear-splitting racket in the July-September timeframe.

Oh, and if you or your kids are squeamish about molten cicada skins all over the ground, sticking off of trees and buildings, etc., well...you might not like that part of the drill. I kept finding discarded cicada "husks" months after the last emergence. Finally if you have a dog, we found that ours liked to binge on the 17-year cicadas...to the point where he'd eat TOO many, and then we'd occasionally find gelatinous piles of half-digested cicadas in the backyard. Forewarned is forearmed.  :)

19 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

i heard all 3 in my DC neighborhood. i had never lived anywhere there was a brood and i’m so psyched i’ll have the chance to see them again.

To your earlier point, and as evidenced in the videos you just shared -- whether crawling or flying, these cicadas are some of the clumsiest insects I've ever encountered.

lol

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-washington-football-team-wont-pick-a-new-name-until-2022-164216540.html

The Washington Football Team will go by the name once again in 2021. The team launched a website Tuesday that will chronicle the team's name change. On the front page of the site, it states "the future of Washington Football arrives in 2022."

The website also includes a timeline that walks fans through the name-change process. It includes five chapters: Transformation, discovery, insight, creation and execution. Throughout the process, the team will take suggestions from fans. In the discovery chapter, it states those suggestions "will guide the creation of our new identity."

There's even an area on the website where fans can submit their idea for the next team name. Fans can write up their vision for the team, and even include images to uniform and logo designs they create. Anything submitted through this system will be owned by the team, so it's possible the organization could choose a fan submission for its next name and design.

For now, the team is displaying submitted ideas on its website. Fan-submitted names currently include the Washington Memorials, Washington Rhinos, Washington Justice and many, many others. Some of those, like the Justice, include pictures featuring new uniform and logo designs.

Washington changed nickname in July

In July, the team announced it would change its name to the Washington Football Team for the 2020 season. At the time, the team announced that would be a temporary nickname.

Since then, a number of suggestions have been thrown out by fans, including Redtails and Warriors. Those names could be an issue, as they've been trademarked by a man in Virginia. It's possible team owner Dan Snyder can work out a deal with the trademark holder and go with one of those names, though it appears the team is willing to consider all options at the moment.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, mappy said:

I absolutely love that someone trademarked those names to screw Snyder over. I will happily cheer on the WTF until another name is found. 

I’m actually really good with the current name. If they keep it I wouldn’t complain. Hail to the WTFs!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

To your earlier point, and as evidenced in the videos you just shared -- whether crawling or flying, these cicadas are some of the clumsiest insects I've ever encountered.

The only time every critter in the forest is full to the point they can't eat anymore. It's also giving the forest a big dose of fertilizer. It's really amazing if you think about it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

FYI...vaccine appointments at M&T Bank stadium available now.  Hurry.  covidvax.maryland.gov. 

Was able to schedule 3 folks we know over 65 already.

We were able to score three out of four for our parents. We could have gone four for four but my 90 year dad old doesn’t want the vaccine. Who am I to argue with a guy that smoked two packs of unfiltered Lucky Strikes for 60 years?

5 hours ago, mappy said:

LOL i was the passenger. I believe it was just a girly shriek, as I tried to frantically shoo them out of the open car window. My boyfriend at the time just laughed. i mean, I was laughing too

Reminds me of the same shriek I made when Mr Map and I went on one of those drive through safaris and a giraffe stuck its tongue in the car to try and get carrots off my lap. 

If you want to have some fun with the 17 year cicadas, trick a buddy into helping you do a fictitious project that involves a circular saw. I swear they will swarm the sound like it’s the mother of all cicadas. I thought the guy working on my house 17 years ago was going to kill himself swinging the circular saw around in the air to keep the bugs off of him.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wxtrix said:

Washington Team Football with really generic fan merchandise. 

Haha!  Reminds me of the old generic products years ago, packaged in white with black lettering.  You'd get things labeled like "Beer" and such.  I even as a joke got someone a generic postcard...and yup, it was all white with the word "Postcard" written on it!!

Back to cicadas, a reminder to the people with green thumbs here, do NOT plant any new fruit trees or bushes this spring until the Brood is dead. They will destroy them because they love the nutrients from fruit forward plants. If you currently have fruit trees and plants, make sure to cover them with a net to prevent invasions of them from getting to them. Saw this when I was reading up scientific info on Brood X. 

I will never forget the 2004 Brood in my neighborhood. I lived right next to Graham State Forest and we were inundated beyond belief. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Nice! Got 2 more appointments for friends.  Although I slightly misspelled one of their names...hopefully that's not a huge deal?:yikes:

I tried over and over again right at 7am and picked the first day available. Since my mom is in the UMMS system, she already got the confirmation on her portal. WE ARE SO EXCITED. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

I tried over and over again right at 7am and picked the first day available. Since my mom is in the UMMS system, she already got the confirmation on her portal. WE ARE SO EXCITED. 

Great!  We got 1 more for our pregnant sister-in-law who works in the Harford County school system.  

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic