Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2021

George BM

4 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

So what's the deal with this?  I have never experienced one of these.  Are there going to be swarms of these things everywhere?  Is my dog going to be jumping up and eating them out of mid air?  Am I going to need to use my windshield wipers while driving?  Will I need a tennis racket to get to my car lol?

Yes.

5 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

So what's the deal with this?  I have never experienced one of these.  Are there going to be swarms of these things everywhere?  Is my dog going to be jumping up and eating them out of mid air?  Am I going to need to use my windshield wipers while driving?  Will I need a tennis racket to get to my car lol?

Life as you know it is over

Just now, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

But will Loudon be on a two hour delay to clear the Cicadas?

Fauquier is already closed.  I was in High School.  I carried around a badminton racket in my yard and just went to town.  They fly into your cars, hair, everywhere.

3 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

But will Loudon be on a two hour delay to clear the Cicadas?

Funny enough back in 2004 I worked in Rockville and lived in Leesburg and Rockville was invaded it was insane and there were very few out here in LoudOUn

20 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Not really. They mostly just sit in  the trees and make a shit ton of noise. I was camping in a tent for a week during the 2004 cicada's and basically never slept the entire week. 

By the way they are awesome bait for fishing. If you are into that kind of thing. 

• Like 1

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Not really. They mostly just sit in  the trees and make a shit ton of noise. I was camping in a tent for a week during the 2004 cicada's and basically never slept the entire week. 

The cicadas are noisy as hell every year in my neighborhood it seems.  It's like there's always a dull roar in summer evenings.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

I was in Harrisburg PA for these in 2004 and it was pretty interesting. There were fewer of them in areas that were more heavily/recently developed. At the time I lived in a townhouse built in the 90s and didn't see any. My dad, however, lived in a more rural-agricultural-forest type area, and there were literally ZILLIONS of them. They formed carpets under the trees. The sound was deafening. It was pretty amazing, really.  I'm not sure what they're like here in the inner burbs of DC.

5 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

So what's the deal with the ones I hear every summer?  Are those just part of some season ones that aren't on a 17 year cycle?

There are broods that come out every year. Different species. Its just the big one is every 17 years. Some of them come out a year early or a year late as well. 

1 minute ago, Steve25 said:

If you live in an area with trees, they're going to be EVERYWHERE. If you live in an area with mostly just buildings, you probably won't experience too many of them. 

Well the "people's republic of Takoma Park" considers it a crime against humanity to cut a tree down so we've got like an entire forest here. 

Just now, clskinsfan said:

There are broods that come out every year. Different species. Its just the big one is every 17 years. Some of them come out a year early or a year late as well. 

Super interesting.  I'm very ignorant on this stuff.  So the ones that come out every 17 years are for some reason larger than the ones we see every year?

4 hours ago, mappy said:

good to know. ill try again tomorrow morning. thanks friend. she's been trying for weeks and no such luck

Gotta register everywhere and anywhere. I live in AA county where it doesn't snow and my parents had to go to PG county. Others I know have gone as far as Salisbury. I just messaged a couple older friends telling them about M&T stadium. I pre registered already and I'm only 42. I'm waiting for a cancelation so I can get in early. 

39 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

lol they wont be that bad. they will stay in trees and other vegetated areas. but they are very loud. 

I do recall in 2004 when I was dating a guy who lived in Loudon County, driving down Route 7 near NOVA college and a swarm of them were on the move and flew in the car. Freaked me out. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dailylurker said:

Gotta register everywhere and anywhere. I live in AA county where it doesn't snow and my parents had to go to PG county. Others I know have gone as far as Salisbury. I just messaged a couple older friends telling them about M&T stadium. I pre registered already and I'm only 42. I'm waiting for a cancelation so I can get in early. 

I'm going to call her this evening and tell her she needs to try every damn day to get registered, at 7am. Otherwise, lll do it for her and she will just have to drive to wherever I can get her an appointment. 

I was 10 years old for the last cicada outbreak and I honestly think it created my phobia of buzzing insects. My parents have sworn I never had a fear like that as a young kid. Ever since then, Summers have been a living nightmare for me. I literally have had anxiety attacks at the end of every winter thinking about the arrival of the warm seasons. Stress is at an all time high all Spring and Summer. Literally stare out the door for several minutes to be sure there's nothing flying around everytime I leave a building or car. It's just, misery. I know I need psychiatric help. I hate it. I'm legitimately mulling over my options of moving out of state in May and June of this Summer to avoid the worst of it. Much easier said than done though. 

41 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Man, that sounds fun as hell.  I'm not sure my kids (2 and 4) will like it much.  

I should clarify that I was in Fredericksburg at the time with much more tree coverage than here in Arlington but my wife said they were pretty rambunctious when she was here during the 2004 brood.   I know my 6 yr old is plenty excited for them to come (he’s kind of a bug nut).

18 minutes ago, mappy said:

lol they wont be that bad. they will stay in trees and other vegetated areas. but they are very loud. 

I do recall in 2004 when I was dating a guy who lived in Loudon County, driving down Route 7 near NOVA college and a swarm of them were on the move and flew in the car. Freaked me out. 

please describe said freak out.  full on scream?  swerve and slam on the brakes to run out of the vehicle?  

5 minutes ago, H2O said:

please describe said freak out.  full on scream?  swerve and slam on the brakes to run out of the vehicle?  

LOL i was the passenger. I believe it was just a girly shriek, as I tried to frantically shoo them out of the open car window. My boyfriend at the time just laughed. i mean, I was laughing too

Reminds me of the same shriek I made when Mr Map and I went on one of those drive through safaris and a giraffe stuck its tongue in the car to try and get carrots off my lap. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

There are some good videos on YouTube that'll give you an idea of what to expect. But in general, if you have a lot emerge in your neighborhood, there's a loud and constant background noise and big bugs everywhere. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic