Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2021

George BM

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

It won't be long, my friends. 

1614200400-LUevd1TTHM8.png

NEVER surrender!  I do wish the snow came earlier though...this is the sad part of the winter where warm ups are inevitable and I have to fight for every day of my precious snowcover and it's like trying to hold back the tide.  But my snowcover has so much water/ice content right now...if I can add a few inches Monday and freeze it up...might even be able to withstand a couple days in the upper 40s (which is what I would be based on that there)  without losing it completely.  

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

Holy schnitzkes, indeed. Even after decades of flying, I'm still a white-knuckle flier (honestly, an irrational fear in this day and age), so this is nightmare fuel to me. My first thought seeing the pic of the dropped engine cowling in the front yard that @CAPE put up a couple posts back was, "Thank God it didn't hit the house OR the RV in that front yard!" Upon seeing some of these additional pics/videos, I'm more soberly thinking THANK GOD this rig landed safely at Denver. Dear God....  :(

I have no fear of flying.  I do, however, have a fear of being at 30,000 feet and suddenly NOT flying! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

The redundant safety protocols they build into modern airliners is mind-blowing and, at the end of the day, a genuine comfort. Those engines are a technical marvel. I readily admit that, based on statistics alone, mine is a completely irrational fear. I know in my head that these redundant aviation safety systems exist...and yet, I still get tense enough on takeoffs and landings that I could rip the armrests out of the seats. I flew back and forth across the continent on a monthly basis, for work in my 20s and 30s...and if anything, I'm worse now than even back then.  :( 

I second that! Flew between VA and IAH a good bit 10/11/12 for work, but never really enjoyed flying. Now when I go to Denver to see son I am right there with you on the armrest thing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Dear sweet baby Jesus in a wicker basket. @Mrs.J, I've ogled your soups for years in this forum, but since you've gone down this gluten-free path in recent weeks/months, I have to say that the new dishes you've been trying look as amazing, if not more, than what you've posted in the past. We have shaved sprouts like that at least once weekly with fresh salmon. But we sure don't have the other awesome stuff you've posted here in the past couple of weeks! At the end of the day, I hope this change in diet makes a positive difference in your life.

Thanks! Actually the rub I put on the chicken I was telling Mr J would be good on salmon. So you just gave me another dinner to use it on. 

• Like 1

In reference to weird things happening on airplanes...

Got on a flight from Lahore to Islamabad, Pakistani on PIA airlines back in the early 90's.  Was a 737 and the emergency placard said, in multiple languages "If you cannot read this card please notify a cabin attendant" Yes, that is right...  If I could not read the card I was supposed to notify a cabin attendant.  

( I was sitting in an emergency exit row over a wing and the placard was the extra special one for emergency exit seats.  I've traveled to over 80 countries, so I've seen a lot of bizarre things on flights.  Like the goat that was tied to the arm rest on another PIA flight the next year. )

So, I did the dutiful thing and pushed the cabin attendant call button next to the non-functioning air vent thingy near the reading light.  The cabin attendant came a running to see what was wrong (I was one of the few caucasians on the flight).  I held up the placard and asked her if the statement was true.  She looked at me dumbfounded and asked "do you mean to tell me you cannot read English?"  I informed her I was quite versed in the language and a couple others.  She asked "then what is the problem?".  I looked at her again and said, with an augmented tone to my voice that conveyed nonchalant overtones... "If I cannot read, how can I possibly know that I must contact you?"  

At that moment the weight of the world fell upon her shoulders as she realized the lunacy contained on the card.  She could hardly control herself as the thought of this new found knowledge and ran back up the aisle to the front bulkhead to share this profound information with her colleagues.  They all burst out laughing so hard they were in tears when 3 of them returned with the purser to convey appreciation on behalf of PIA for bringing this to their attention.  (I cannot make this up - it really happened, just like that).  

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I do fly when I have too, and increasingly as I get older and time is no longer a luxury I have...I am flying more and more.  But I have driven from this general area to Colorado 3 times, Utah twice, Wyoming, Revelstoke BC, and Texas because I prefer road trips.  

My wife and I are planning our first several-weeks-long, RV-based, cross-country trip this July to see our oldest son, who's stationed at Joint Base Lewis-McChord near Tacoma, WA. We are so damn excited...because both of us have flown back and forth over the continent more times we can remember over the years....but have never taken a trip like this to stop and see the many sights (to and from) along the way.

EDIT: "Nomadland" became available on Hulu last evening. The mrs. and I watched this 2020 movie on a whim last night, and it is one of the most moving, most impactful movies I've seen in awhile. And, given the topic here at hand, I thought I'd mention it. Highly recommended. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

very nice. i love to chiffonade Brussels sprouts, lol. it feels very satisfying to see the pile when you're done.

an idea for a non-starch side that kind of mimics a starchy side is zucchini "pancakes".  they're more like a large non-deep-fried fritter, but they are simple, tasty, freeze really well, and reheat like a dream. sometimes I'll add some pre-made slaw salad mix and shredded cabbage and make a mini-version of the Japanese dish okonomiyaki.

I only recently realized that you are the board cook! that's wonderful. i like to cook too. :)

Those pancakes sound good. Is there a recipe you follow? 

Also was wanting to make mini meatloafs. But I usually use stuffing as my bread binder. Found out I can use pork rinds. Going to try that out next meal cycle. :D

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Sure it wasn't 2018? What you are describing sounds exactly like the Equinox storm that year.

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Checking my logs there was some snow in the area on the 8th and the 18th but it wasn’t much in Arlington or Charlottesville. Maybe one of those two?

I’m stupid, it was Feb 20, 2019. Thanks y’all lol.

3 hours ago, T. August said:

Does anyone remember a mid-March 2019 event? I measured 6.5”. I can’t find anything on it. It’s what prompted me to get a spotter ID, because it was one of the few times in my life Aberdeen/Havre de Grace jacked, and I couldn’t report it lol.

Edit: Not the March 3 one

Not out here brother. March 3rd I had 3.3 according to my records. And it was dumping. I got .5 on March 8th. And that was the end of the winter out here. Here is the March 3rd event:

image.thumb.png.9b837adefc2c0f899855e13ad07fbcbc.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Holy schnitzkes, indeed. Even after decades of flying, I'm still a white-knuckle flier (honestly, an irrational fear in this day and age), so this is nightmare fuel to me. My first thought seeing the pic of the dropped engine cowling in the front yard that @CAPE put up a couple posts back was, "Thank God it didn't hit the house OR the RV in that front yard!" Upon seeing some of these additional pics/videos, I'm more soberly thinking THANK GOD this rig landed safely at Denver. Dear God....  :(

I have to get hammered to get on a plane. Even my boss knows this and flys me out a day early because of it. I am a wreck on an airplane. 

• Like 1

We may have missed snow again this week in my zip code, but the .8 of sleet in my hood absolutely glaciated. To the point that I fell four, that's right FOUR times walking the pup this AM. Sore ribs and wrist but don't think I broke anything. That's six falls in two days, so...probably should stop falling.   Absolutely dangerous as hell to this rapidly aging dude if you can't see bare pavement to step on.  

As frustrating as the overall winter has been in my part of the area, that's the third time this year we've been able to glaciate what has fallen and hold it for nice winter vistas for many days after the event. That's been nice. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

We may have missed snow again this week, but the .8 of sleet in my hood absolutely glaciated. To the point that I fell four, that's right FOUR times walking the pup this AM. Sore firsbs and wrist but don't think I broke anything. That's six falls in two days, so...probably should stop falling.   Absolutely dangerous as hell to this rapidly aging dude if you cant' see bare pavement to step on.  

Alrighty North Balti, time to get you some of these

image.png.a287afaf869960c351c2b52064e18ac5.png

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

We may have missed snow again this week in my zip code, but the .8 of sleet in my hood absolutely glaciated. To the point that I fell four, that's right FOUR times walking the pup this AM. Sore ribs and wrist but don't think I broke anything. That's six falls in two days, so...probably should stop falling.   Absolutely dangerous as hell to this rapidly aging dude if you can't see bare pavement to step on.  

As frustrating as the overall winter has been in my part of the area, that's the third time this year we've been able to glaciate what has fallen and hold it for nice winter vistas for many days after the event. That's been nice. 

I fell down in Winchester on Friday. Was just walking along hit some ice with my right foot and down I went. I landed in my knees luckily. So yeah. It is dangerous out there. 

5 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

yikes, hope you're okay. 

You too @WxUSAF

Be careful! My bum is still sore from falling the other day. 

22 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Alrighty North Balti, time to get you some of these

image.png.a287afaf869960c351c2b52064e18ac5.png

I have stabilicers, which are not as hard core as this.  They make all the difference in the world and will literally save your ass. Getting to old to fall on the ice so 25 bucks and a few seconds to save broken bones works for me.

https://stabil.implus.com/product/stabil-walk

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

IyOAT3a.jpg

Office of the Lord High Executioner 
The Panic Room

1423 Panic Lane
Darkness, USA 

It is with great joy that I announce my second, and final, retirement as CEO of The Panic Room and Mid-Atlantic Reaper effective March 31, 2021. 

Since February 2, 2015, The Panic Room has always tried to stay true to its mission: keep winter fun, even when the snowfall breaks don't go our way. Over the last six years, The Panic Room has grown from a bare bones operation, compiling poetic, creative, and emotional posts about winter that kept the laughs flowing during difficult times, to an industrial operation, serving as the final winter weenie resting place for those that were ready to abandon the insanity of tracking winter storm chances and blind faith in the "Infallible" Euro and other false prophets. 

The Panic Room became a Mid-Atlantic tradition that was replicated by other subforums on AmWx, showing some of us that winter need not be all tension, bickering, and doom--that we could laugh at our plight as snow-starved winter weenies and unite behind a common purpose: hatred of the fickle nature of winter and snowfall.  

Our recognitions are numerous, from being frequently called "the best thread on AmWx", to Forbes naming us as one of the World's Best Workplaces for five consecutive years, to a daytime Emmy for our groundbreaking production of Real Weenies of the I-95 Corridor.

It has been an extraordinary journey helping people vent and laugh during bad winters and terrible winter weather events, while learning profound things about human nature and the mindset of a wx weenie.

With nearly 330,000 visits, thousands of posts, and countless belly laughs over these past six years, it is time to hang up the sickle. 

The last call on reapings has arrived. The end, thankfully, is near.  

Thank you, 

WxWatcher007
Lord High Executioner
Founder & CEO, The Panic Room

Not gonna lie, this announcement makes me a little...wistful.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic