Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2021

George BM

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I cant remember the last time my snowpack held on like this in a full blazing sun. No damage at all. The pack isnt even melting off of my car in the driveway that I dont drive. Amazing actually. 

Yea my pack here is an impenetrable fortress right now. It’s got about 3” of solid concrete on the bottom and 2” on the top with like 5” of powder in the middle.  If I can tack on a few inches of wet snow Monday and have it freeze up solid Monday night might even get my glacier through the warm days next week to whatever happens in that multiple wave period next weekend and beyond and make a run at a month+ of snowcover.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I cant remember the last time my snowpack held on like this in a full blazing sun. No damage at all. The pack isnt even melting off of my car in the driveway that I dont drive. Amazing actually. 

30 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea my pack here is an impenetrable fortress right now. It’s got about 3” of solid concrete on the bottom and 2” on the top with like 5” of powder in the middle.  If I can tack on a few inches of wet snow Monday and have it freeze up solid Monday night might even get my glacier through the warm days next week to whatever happens in that multiple wave period next weekend and beyond and make a run at a month+ of snowcover.  

It won't be long, my friends. 

1614200400-LUevd1TTHM8.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Holy shit. I might have died from a heart attack. That is almost unbelievable. Props to the pilots. Imagine flying many thousands of hours and never having anything happen. And then all of the sudden you get his. Incredible. 

I've been on a severe turbulence flight where bags went flying everywhere and plenty of people were freaking out. I managed to stay calm,   but an explosion and flames definitely would have made it a lot scarier.

• Like 1

Just now, Amped said:

I've been on a severe turbulence flight where bags went flying everywhere and plenty of people were freaking out. I managed to stay calm,   but an explosion and flames definitely would have made it a lot scarier.

But you get to see how a gas turbine engine works with the outer skin removed.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Holy shit. I might have died from a heart attack. That is almost unbelievable. Props to the pilots. Imagine flying many thousands of hours and never having anything happen. And then all of the sudden you get his. Incredible. 

Holy schnitzkes, indeed. Even after decades of flying, I'm still a white-knuckle flier (honestly, an irrational fear in this day and age), so this is nightmare fuel to me. My first thought seeing the pic of the dropped engine cowling in the front yard that @CAPE put up a couple posts back was, "Thank God it didn't hit the house OR the RV in that front yard!" Upon seeing some of these additional pics/videos, I'm more soberly thinking THANK GOD this rig landed safely at Denver. Dear God....  :(

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

We teach a gas turbine course for ships at the school. The dude who teaches it is incredible, and I always ask him his thoughts on failures when they occur. He is from the aviation industry, but the engine is the same on a GT powered ship.

The redundant safety protocols they build into modern airliners is mind-blowing and, at the end of the day, a genuine comfort. Those engines are a technical marvel. I readily admit that, based on statistics alone, mine is a completely irrational fear. I know in my head that these redundant aviation safety systems exist...and yet, I still get tense enough on takeoffs and landings that I could rip the armrests out of the seats. I flew back and forth across the continent on a monthly basis, for work in my 20s and 30s...and if anything, I'm worse now than even back then.  :( 

Just now, vastateofmind said:

The redundant safety protocols they build into modern airliners is mind-blowing and, at the end of the day, a genuine comfort. Those engines are a technical marvel. I readily admit that, based on statistics alone, mine is a completely irrational fear. I know in my head that these redundant aviation safety systems exist...and yet, I still get tense enough on takeoffs and landings that I could rip the armrests out of the seats. I flew back and forth across the continent on a monthly basis, for work in my 20s and 30s...and if anything, I'm worse now than even back then.  :( 

I teach automation, so I know way too much about all the control aspects, the sensors, the signals, calibration and testing, and the redundancy in these systems, yet I still need to be a tad boozed up or pop a benzo to fly lmao. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, T. August said:

Does anyone remember a mid-March 2019 event? I measured 6.5”. I can’t find anything on it. It’s what prompted me to get a spotter ID, because it was one of the few times in my life Aberdeen/Havre de Grace jacked, and I couldn’t report it lol.

Edit: Not the March 3 one

Sure it wasn't 2018? What you are describing sounds exactly like the Equinox storm that year.

Does anyone remember a mid-March 2019 event? I measured 6.5”. I can’t find anything on it. It’s what prompted me to get a spotter ID, because it was one of the few times in my life Aberdeen/Havre de Grace jacked, and I couldn’t report it lol.
Edit: Not the March 3 one

Checking my logs there was some snow in the area on the 8th and the 18th but it wasn’t much in Arlington or Charlottesville. Maybe one of those two?

So in my quest to keep gluten out of my diet and starch, have lost a decent amount by doing so. Have been looking for different dinner options. Tonight two new recipes. Sweet and Spicy BS thighs with a shaved Brussels sprouts salad. Normally I would have made potatoes or rice with this kind of meal but did the different salad. This meal was so flavorful and quick to cook. Salad took a bit of prep. Hand chopped a lb. of sprouts. But so worth it. And the dinner in the pan was so pretty took a shot of that. 

369D40DD-9432-47A3-AAAE-893E056132A6.jpeg

F41454EB-243D-41D0-8972-638EA9AAB893.jpeg

• Like 11

Just now, Mrs.J said:

So in my quest to keep gluten out of my diet and starch, have lost a decent amount by doing so. Have been looking for different dinner options. Tonight two new recipes. Sweet and Spicy BS thighs with a shaved Brussels sprouts salad. Normally I would have made potatoes or rice with this kind of meal but did the different salad. This meal was so flavorful and quick to cook. Salad took a bit of prep. Hand chopped a lb. of sprouts. But so worth it. And the dinner in the pan was so pretty took a shot of that. 

Looks amazing!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Dear sweet baby Jesus in a wicker basket. @Mrs.J, I've ogled your soups for years in this forum, but since you've gone down this gluten-free path in recent weeks/months, I have to say that the new dishes you've been trying look as amazing, if not more, than what you've posted in the past. We have shaved sprouts like that at least once weekly with fresh salmon. But we sure don't have the other awesome stuff you've posted here in the past couple of weeks! At the end of the day, I hope this change in diet makes a positive difference in your life.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic