Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2021

George BM

42 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Exactly. That’s another nice thing being on this ridge. We might get a week or two that’s too hot but it’s not the whole summer. Usually when it’s 92 in Baltimore it’s 84 with a cool breeze up here. 

Interesting that you get summer relief as well. From the pics, it looks like you have rather open surroundings. How high above the town is your ridge? Just wondering which you feel is more beneficial in summer.

Just now, North Balti Zen said:

It’s gorgeous out, dog loved it on our walk, but please take care, I fell twice and was extremely fortunate not to break my arm on the second fall. It is skating rink icy.

I just busted my ass on our front steps. And was trying to be careful. Ow.

• Sad 1

Just now, North Balti Zen said:

It’s gorgeous out, dog loved it on our walk, but please take care, I fell twice and was extremely fortunate not to break my arm on the second fall. It is skating rink icy.

Yeah I was just outside walking around the yard atop the glacier. Kinda cool but definitely slick.

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I lived on a local high spot when I was up there, on the east edge of Parrs, north of 26 and south of 32, and very close to to 97. Around 850 feet iirc.  My memories of summers there were plenty of heat and humidity, but I suppose being a bit further north and a couple hundred feet higher can make some difference.

It really does.  Not just in summer. I know the area you’re talking about. And compared to DC or Baltimore they are cooler in summer and more snow in winter...but I’m not kidding when I say the difference from there to here is almost as great a jump. I lived on a ridge at 860 feet just south of Westminster for 2 years before moving up here and the difference is astounding. I drive around the county a lot and the snowcover difference in winter and the temp in summer over just a few miles is crazy. 

this area is a micro climate within the greater Parrs ridge climate. 
4rpkLlj.jpg

Even the valleys between those 3 ridges do better. They are generally high valleys though with a floor around 850 and the ridges run 1000-1100 feet.  But man if you get on the northwest facing slope of those 3 ridges it really does feel like you just entered a new climate zone.  The NW wind is crazy with total exposure.  It’s too much sometimes in storms. It’s very common for me to have 6”+ of snowcover and Westminster has none or for me to be 5 degrees cooler then even Westminster. I probably wouldn’t believe it if I wasn’t living it. 

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It really does.  Not just in summer. I know the area you’re talking about. And compared to DC or Baltimore they are cooler in summer and more snow in winter...but I’m not kidding when I say the difference from there to here is almost as great a jump. I lived on a ridge at 860 feet just south of Westminster for 2 years before moving up here and the difference is astounding. I drive around the county a lot and the snowcover difference in winter and the temp in summer over just a few miles is crazy. 

this area is a micro climate within the greater Parrs ridge climate. 
4rpkLlj.jpg

Even the valleys between those 3 ridges do better. They are generally high valleys though with a floor around 850 and the ridges run 1000-1100 feet.  But man if you get on the northwest facing slope of those 3 ridges it really does feel like you just entered a new climate zone.  The NW wind is crazy with total exposure.  It’s too much sometimes in storms. It’s very common for me to have 6”+ of snowcover and Westminster has none or for me to be 5 degrees cooler then even Westminster. I probably wouldn’t believe it if I wasn’t living it. 

Yeah I have seen the difference driving up to Westminster and then heading north towards Littlestown or Gettysburg and seeing the difference as you get north of Westminster, mainly with marginal events.

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Hell yea if it wasn’t so freaking middle of no where that would be on my short list of places to live. Love sugarloaf also. Favorite east coast ski resort. 

If you haven’t been to Saddleback, it’s amazing. Obviously not as big as the ‘loaf, but big enough. Should be even better with the new lift.

8 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Yeah I have seen the difference driving up to Westminster and then heading north towards Littlestown or Gettysburg and seeing the difference as you get north of Westminster, mainly with marginal events.

What’s really crazy is I usually do much better then places north of me once you get out of the ridge area but it’s not as crazy a difference as to the south. 

5 minutes ago, uncletim said:

If you haven’t been to Saddleback, it’s amazing. Obviously not as big as the ‘loaf, but big enough. Should be even better with the new lift.

They open again!!!???  I’ve always wanted too! And I love smaller resorts sometimes. A basin is one of my favorites in Colorado. 

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I don’t want to quote your entire post, but for me it’s not about “too much snow” rather than winter goes on too long. There’s a late season storm almost every year that’s dumping snow and ice in NE and I’m out working in the yard or garden under sunny skies, and breezy mid 50’s. I don’t want winter to outstay its welcome.

Completely agree. I lived in  northern Massachusetts and we had 74 inches of snow the winter was phenomenal, the fall incredible ,summer was great but spring took freaking forever!

I remember many days in mid to late May they were in the 40s it was just brutal. 

45 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Anyone wanna head down and skate amongst the trees? :lol:

My non tidal wetland is frozen and as expansive as I have seen it this time of year. I better order an extra container of larvacide.

skate.jpg.3a3d266aa6f43f0475876d3b24812488.jpg

Its like the Everglades but a colder version

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Anyone wanna head down and skate amongst the trees? :lol:

My non tidal wetland is frozen and as expansive as I have seen it this time of year. I better order an extra container of larvacide.

I would staple some chicken wire to a sawhorse, grab a puck, stick, and skates, and change my screen name to BobbyOrr. Then I'd cross check the small diameter trees to the ground and sucker punch the big trees before going to the penalty box

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Flat- out nasty.  One of the best dunks I've seen in 40 years of basketball.

That one was definitely greasy, though kemp, Vince, Dominique, shaq were all violent in game dunkers too, including lebron. Jordan is the goat imo but he was more stylistic, mostly bc he could palm the ball so easily and just dunk around ppl.

32 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Might wanna try the DFH 120 Min IPA if you never have. Beware, it is a totally different beast as IPAs go.

The mrs. and I have nearly dropped that 120 min IPA in our cart at Weggys several times over the past six months, trying to justify the extra cost (vs. getting a SIX-pack of one of the dozens of proven IPAs we can can get there). But -- you've pushed me over the edge, and since she's making a run tonight, I'm going to tell her to bite the bullet on the 120.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, vastateofmind said:

The mrs. and I have nearly dropped that 120 min IPA in our cart at Weggys several times over the past six months, trying to justify the extra cost (vs. getting a SIX-pack of one of the dozens of proven IPAs we can can get there). But -- you've pushed me over the edge, and since she's making a run tonight, I'm going to tell her to bite the bullet on the 120.

Go for it. It is an experience. And you wont be drinking it fast lol. Sipper.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic