Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2021

George BM

14 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Never had it . Looks like I'd down it pretty quick though .

For HH—on my second DIPA from Hidden River Brewing from PA (aka snow country). Tried my first 6 from them over the last few weeks. So good!  It’s in the upper echelon of top Hazy IPAs I’ve had on the East Coast. If you ever find yourself near Douglassville, PA, the beer is absolutely stellar. Cheers!

Eta: Love that Mylar Wizard from BF. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Okay, fair enough. I can't argue too much with this map. But there are some errors on it that help your case and hinder mine. Its just the little details.

I don't believe you can hit Philly and travel essentially due east all the way to the ocean and maintain the same averages. Same goes for Wilmington and going due east to the Ocean. You are downplaying the effect the ocean has on totals in those areas. Granted, once 15-20 miles inland, it becomes less of an issue. But believe me, I lived in Monmouth County for 30+ years, and that Ocean was a killer compared to just another 10-20 miles inland. But when you go in 20 miles, thats half of the county.

So I'd take that 20 inch line, and 25 inch line and eek them up the coast a bit. Which, hate to say it, is more in line with my thinking.

There is simply no way Pt Pleasant NJ, does as well as SE PA and way western hilly burbs of DC.

So its kind of slipping hairs. Certainly I-95 south of the DMB has had terrible luck this year.

My lines don’t go due east they go ENE because that’s what the averages do.  I could have drawn that from memory but I looked them up just to confirm.  They do hook north on the immediate coast east of the parkway but that’s a local meso coastal front thing and hard to capture on a map of that scale.  

But yes some location right on the beach or within a mile of the ocean in northeast NJ might only average slightly more then a spot in northern Delaware but that’s a very local thing and not a fair comp. go just a few miles inland and the snow climate of northeast/east central NJ is far superior to Wilmington DE. 

This is from Isotherms light in the storm website which has excellent climo data on NJ.

2bw62zi.png

Look at the 21” gradient.  It runs right through center city Philly then look how it runs ENE until it gets to the immediate coast.  Look at the 27” gradient!  It runs south if due east across NJ until the immediate coast!  I didn’t make that up.  Averages aren’t up for debate.  They are mathematically calculated and produce a definitive numerical value.  They are what they are lol. 

Perhaps your perception is skewed because in the mid Atlantic south of Philly due to elevation being a larger factor then latitude and the effect of the Chesapeake bay, the snow gradient does run more SW to NE. But once north of Philly those lines turn more east quick. Part of that is reaching a latitude where snow is more easily supported on the coastal plain.  Part is that a ENE wind suddenly isn’t coming off the Gulf Stream anymore.  

Trust me I grew up just south of that gradient. I can remember so many storms where I got 1-3” just east of Philly and 30 miles north of me in NJ got 6-10”. What you saw yesterday isn’t unusual. 

Does anybody really care about anyone's snow climo beyond their own yard? I sure don't. Never understood why people care when areas to our north or south get hit and we fail. It snows all over the globe 12 months a year non stop. Any place outside of my yard is all the same to me irt snow. Nonexistent. Areas of Japan get buried 5 stories deep. Places like that is where we should be envious. Certainly not Scranton. Lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Does anybody really care about anyone's snow climo beyond their own yard? I sure don't. Never understood why people care when areas to our north or south get hit and we fail. It snows all over the globe 12 months a year non stop. Any place outside of my yard is all the same to me irt snow. Nonexistent. Areas of Japan get buried 5 stories deep. Places like that is where we should be envious. Certainly not Scranton. Lol

Definitely not, every storm I secretly hope everyone else gets screwed so I can max out IMBY

46 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It can happen but we really need a heck of an antecedent airmass (and deep to our sw) and a fast moving storm. The leaf of precip on the south side is just a warm front. I'm not writing it off and it's def discussionable (new word!). 

It’s a long shot but what makes it even possible is that there is a wave forming on the front. It’s not a closed circulation low or anything but the wave passing south among the front does 2 things, disrupts the straight shot of southerly flow some and focuses lift to its northeast which can hold off WAA some also and mix cold down.  It’s not a straight up front with a low way NW. but this setup still favors north of the urban areas. I’ve seen this setup work out NW of the cities before for a quick thump snow but I can’t really remember one that worked for 95. Well I can think of one, Feb 2015, but we had sub 0 temps 24 hours before that one so it’s not a great comp. 

15 minutes ago, EHoffman said:

Definitely not, every storm I secretly hope everyone else gets screwed so I can max out IMBY

Every single person here either secretly or openly thinks the same way. I'm honest about it. I've had irrational thoughts of hooking up a big trailer to my truck, driving psu's or wnwxluvr's, and stealing all the snow off their yards while they're sleeping. I realized it was a crazy thought just west of front royal on 66 and turned around.

My friends still living in CO text me pictures of deep powder days. That does get to me a little. Considered moving back at least a thousand times

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

https://www.internations.org/go/moving-to-japan

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Every single person here either secretly or openly thinks the same way. I'm honest about it. I've had irrational thoughts of hooking up a big trailer to my truck, driving psu's or wnwxluvr's, and stealing all the snow off their yards while they're sleeping. I realized it was a crazy thought just west of front royal on 66 and turned around.

My friends still living in CO text me pictures of deep powder days. That does get to me a little. Considered moving back at least a thousand times

Let me know if you ever pull the trigger, I'll come help you shovel.

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

So very true. If i ever decide to move some place solely due to snow it’s either going to be a place where 100”+ seasons are a given or I have close proximity to mountains that get nuked every year. Who cares if someone gets 40” a year vs 20” closer to the city. Small potatoes stuff. 

• Like 1

Just now, dailylurker said:

Gotta get the Dosidos-22. It's the best in MD. Get your card if you already haven't and hit the dispensaries. MD is very liberal about it. Anyone can get a card.

Oh yeh that’s a good one.

Grabbed card from VA, but no flower here yet. Likely make trip up to DC for my flower needs soon

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Out of curiosity...did you go to high school in SJ? You’re a few years younger than me, I think, but I’m always curious about folks from the homestead!

I am also from SJ, and agree with previous posters who noted that growing up it seemed like SJ always got "5 inches of snow followed by sleet and then washed away by plain rain" with almost every winter storm (1996 being the big exception). Meanwhile I would watch John Bolaris or Hurricane Schwarz talk about how Allentown would get a foot. 

Went to Eastern High in Voorhees

12 minutes ago, 66degreesnorth said:

I am also from SJ, and agree with previous posters who noted that growing up it seemed like SJ always got "5 inches of snow followed by sleet and then washed away by plain rain" with almost every winter storm (1996 being the big exception). Meanwhile I would watch John Bolaris or Hurricane Schwarz talk about how Allentown would get a foot. 

Went to Eastern High in Voorhees

Exactly! ‘96 was crazy, but it seems like virtually every storm growing up was marginal, and that the Lehigh Valley got crushed all the freaking time!

My sledding hill was one of the off-ramps of the Betsy Ross Bridge. What an absolute blast that was, regardless of whether we flipped to mix/rain or not! I went to CCHS, but knew plenty of folks from Voorhees!

50 minutes ago, snowfan said:

You smell it everywhere now. And, it seems fairly obvious that folks are smoking while driving or passengers are. I smell it all the time walking by cars or when cars drive by me while out walking.

There was a driver next to me on the beltway clearly smoking today...and couldn’t keep his car in the lane. I hope he got pulled over. Dangerous as drinking and driving. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic