Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2021

George BM

14 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

I figured - but wanted to get the true answer! Thanks!

The red taggers on here never disappoint. So in "theory" that warm nose being sampled on the LWX/IAD sonde could have actually been sampled a bit away from the launch site? I assume for the purposes of a day like today, it wouldn't have drifted TOO far - and would probably still be representative of the atmosphere above the site? 

@MillvilleWx likely has a way better feel for this than I do, but the largest drift is going to be at the upper levels where the winds are stronger, and some drift has already taken place during the ascent.     The amount of drift by the time the sonde reaches 850 is much less.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I will admit that snow affects my mood - sorry if that makes me a bad person.

I will also note that many of the lectures on how snow should not affect mood come from people who live in areas where a butterfly farts and it snows. 

In any event, and to sum up, I wish it would snow more readily over this way. It used to. 

The snow is here now in downtown Balt. That is helping my mood. 

I'm dealing with the same. Last week the trend in the wrong direction for Monday worsened my existing depression and I spent most of Friday (or maybe it was Thursday) in bed. Today is not as bad but it still dampens the mood...and I'm a bit depressed about future snow prospects now. There's just this feeling of somebody withholding a bit of happiness from you for no reason at all. And you come in this forum and the "it's not fair!" aura perpetuates itself. And then you look at the calendar...and see Spring isn't far away, and you don't know how to move on from the winter failure. Spring is nice with new beginnings, but knowing that also means a long wait till even a CHANCE at seeing snow--assuming that there will be chances--is a bit depressing.

BUT...every year we all find a way to move on.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I'm dealing with the same. Last week the trend in the wrong direction for Monday worsened my existing depression and I spent most of Friday (or maybe it was Thursday) in bed. Today is not as bad but it still dampens the mood...and I'm a bit depressed about future snow prospects now. There's just this feeling of somebody withholding a bit of happiness from you for no reason at all. And you come in this forum and the "it's not fair!" aura perpetuates itself. And then you look at the calendar...and see Spring isn't far away, and you don't know how to move on from the winter failure. Spring is nice with new beginnings, but knowing that also means a long wait till even a CHANCE at seeing snow--assuming that there will be chances--is a bit depressing.

BUT...every year we all find a way to move on.

Yeah but when we get a 2016 it all seems worth it doesn't it? That's what you get being a snow lover down here, years of madness with days of bliss once every few years.

2 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

It's understandable since so many have missed the good snows with every system this winter, and this would have been an amazing thump had it been snow.  It's frustrating.

Taking this to banter...

This is exactly right. I appreciate that this was progged as rain late last week and that we're getting frozen instead - believe me, I really do - but it's all about what's happening right now. And what's happening right now is that MBY got f-slotted again and will end up on the low end of frozen precip totals for yet another storm this winter.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

Taking this to banter...

This is exactly right. I appreciate that this was progged as rain late last week and that we're getting frozen instead - believe me, I really do - but it's all about what's happening right now. And what's happening right now is that MBY got f-slotted again and will end up on the low end of frozen precip totals for yet another storm this winter.

I totally agree, gimme a break people saying just be happy it's frozen.  This was a great setup for at least a few hours of heavy snow for everyone and we got the rug pulled last minute AGAIN.  I'm pissed.  We missed out on sick rates for more shitty ice.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, EHoffman said:

I totally agree, gimme a break people saying just be happy it's frozen.  This was a great setup for at least a few hours of heavy snow for everyone and we got the rug pulled last minute AGAIN.  I'm pissed.  We missed out on sick rates for more shitty ice.

The amount of sleet is pretty amazing. It's not very typical to get buckets of sleet like this at once. Not sure about you - but I'm into meteorology for interesting weather. It's why I'm here in severe season and winter a like. I love snow - but I love interesting weather - a massive sleet bomb is meteorologically interesting. But I understand your POV if you were hoping for snow and don't give a s*** about any other type of weather. 

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

The amount of sleet is pretty amazing. It's not very typical to get buckets of sleet like this at once. Not sure about you - but I'm into meteorology for interesting weather. It's why I'm here in severe season and winter a like. I love snow - but I love interesting weather - a massive sleet bomb is meteorologically interesting. But I understand your POV if you were hoping for snow and don't give a s*** about any other type of weather. 

I would be more satisfied if I was around where you are; you are dumping sleet right now.  DC just missed even the heavy sleet returns.  I am in for interesting weather for sure, but IMBY this storm wasn't that interesting.  I had heavy sleet for like 5 minutes.

2 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

What if you didn't get a sleet bomb? I'd have been all about it if it had really ripped sleet for hours, but it didn't.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Taking this to banter...

And not only that - it's not like EVERYONE is missing out. It is the usual crew missing out. On top of all the other misses. 

• Sad 1

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

I’d punt the Great Blizzard of 2016 10 times out of 10 if it meant I was guaranteed a normal winter annually. 

Obviously it’s not a choice but what’s the value of a big 24 hour snow (and week of tracking for those inclined to enjoy that aspect) if it means half a decade of garbage?

I wouldn't trade 2016 for anything. It's why I go through all of this pain and despair.  It was incredible.

7 minutes ago, EHoffman said:

I have about 0.4" of sleet (probably being generous).  Incredibly frustrating to have missed out consistently on heavier precip.  I can't imagine DCA will measure greater than half of what was forecasted for total precip. 

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

What if you didn't get a sleet bomb? I'd have been all about it if it had really ripped sleet for hours, but it didn't.

Valid point - though even then - I wouldn't say I even ripped sleet for hours. I was in the crab claw for hours this morning. The sleet has really just been absolutely bursting for the last 20-30 minutes or so (if that). Mostly it's just been light sleet with spikes into the moderate territory. I think I've seen 7 flakes total. 

ETA: I don't even think I've hit 1 inch of sleet. Looking out the window it's pretty unimpressive if I'm going by scenery and amounts. It's already slowing down here.

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

And not only that - it's not like EVERYONE is missing out. It is the usual crew missing out. On top of all the other misses. 

Yup. It's been the same thing time and time again this year.

I realize that it's dumb to complain, but it's good to vent after so much frustration.

• Like 6

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

I don’t begrudge them, but I think the majority of folks here care about snow and everything else is a far distant second—if it even registers at all. 

Six weeks from now this place will clear out. 

The the painful gap between winter and severe season begins. Maybe we can score on some sort of squally type sub-severe line at some point early season. March and April can be really slow if nothing happens. Nice weather at least! 

Just now, Kmlwx said:

The the painful gap between winter and severe season begins. Maybe we can score on some sort of squally type sub-severe line at some point early season. March and April can be really slow if nothing happens. Nice weather at least! 

Sometimes it feels like severe season is even more of a letdown than winter here!  I just want a derecho...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

Valid point - though even then - I wouldn't say I even ripped sleet for hours. I was in the crab claw for hours this morning. The sleet has really just been absolutely bursting for the last 20-30 minutes or so (if that). Mostly it's just been light sleet with spikes into the moderate territory. I think I've seen 7 flakes total. 

I hear you. We got moderate sleet for a bit, but it never got really interesting. And now it's pretty much done, so that's a bummer too.

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I don’t begrudge them, but I think the majority of folks here care about snow and everything else is a far distant second—if it even registers at all. 

Six weeks from now this place will clear out. 

I cleared out of here last spring and summer. The COVID whirlwind really took it out of me, but we learned to deal once we settled into a routine, so luckily you all should have me around again this "severe season." :lol:

• Like 3

Just now, mattie g said:

I hear you. We got moderate sleet for a bit, but it never got really interesting. And now it's pretty much done, so that's a bummer too.

I had sent out a forecast to my friends and coworkers of 2-4 inches and then sleet and ice. Definitely another bust - and I thought I might be on the low end of forecasts :lol: - I'm not going to put down anyone who is bummed out by the storm - it's definitely yet another potential example of DC area climo shifting away from snow even more. Perhaps we only get a HUGE one every bunch of years and everything else will start being like this. 

Nonetheless - this hobby has always worked this way - must have been semi more interesting before we had NWP to look at. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic