Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter 2021

George BM

11 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Ok I need to check that out. Older Miss J will be a senior next year and we are going to start looking at colleges. She wants to check out St. Mary's Honors College. We have never been down to that part of MD so looking forward to it. 

When we do our big AmWx Mid Atlantic picnic this summer, you bring the dessert and I'll try and get some fish for the fryer.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Mystery IPA! But based on the kind of goods that @Scraff lucks into...and the kind of beers you Baltimore folks typically have access to, I'd definitely take my chances.  :)

They are opening a new taproom in Pasadena. Hysteria Brewing Tap House.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Ok I need to check that out. Older Miss J will be a senior next year and we are going to start looking at colleges. She wants to check out St. Mary's Honors College. We have never been down to that part of MD so looking forward to it. 

St. Mary's has a beautiful campus. My oldest son had it on his consideration list as a lacrosse school back in the early 2010s, but honestly...I don't think he would've been smart enough to hang there. ;)  Good luck in your continued search, though...this is a really fun time to watch teenagers to spread their wings a bit.

• Like 2

Just now, KAOS said:

There are opening a new taproom in Pasadena. Hysteria Brewing Tap House.

Wow.  That's awesome.  Hysteria is out of Columbia and making really good beers.  I like Black Flag a little better right now, but Hysteria is good stuff.

Just now, T. August said:

Is that really a thing? I’d love to hit it up.

Not yet, but we should make it happen.  Heck, I'd even let that out-of-towner @WxWatcher007 come.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, nw baltimore wx said:

Wow.  That's awesome.  Hysteria is out of Columbia and making really good beers.  I like Black Flag a little better right now, but Hysteria is good stuff.

Not yet, but we should make it happen.  Heck, I'd even let that out-of-towner @WxWatcher007 come.

Maybe somewhere in Howard or AA County to maximize turnout.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KAOS said:

There are opening a new taproom in Pasadena. Hysteria Brewing Tap House.

Thank you for the heads-up, and we will definitely check that out! Saw you and @mappy discussing Pasadena area a few minutes ago, and it brought up such great memories that we made with an older couple my wife and I befriended through one of my jobs many years ago. They had a modest house a mile or so off Mountain Road, and probably a mile or two beyond CHS, just a couple minutes' walk from the Magothy River. We always loved taking day trips to visit them, because it was almost like a mini-vacation from our location in the over-packed, close-in NoVA 'burbs. They've both passed on in recent years...but a new brewery is ALWAYS a good reason to take a trip out Route 100.  ;)

• Like 3

Just now, Deck Pic said:

My mom is scheduled to get her 2nd jab tomorrow at 11 am in Alexandria.   And they're being total dicks about rescheduling.  I tried to be sympathetic about her plight, but I still want it to snow as much as possible.  Her BF will be taking her in an AWD SUV...I think she'll be ok.

They'll be dicks about rescheduling right up to the time when they close the office without notice tomorrow at 11AM.  Six Flags did that last week.

• Sad 1

>When venturing outside, watch your first few steps taken on steps, sidewalks, and driveways, which could be icy and slippery, increasing your risk of a fall and injury.

This advice is questionable.   I heard of one theory that humans evolved to function best with head upright.  Literally watching one's step causes one's head to look down and thus makes makes balancing that more difficult.  Go running in the woods, looking straight ahead.  Then try running while looking at your feet.  (Ha just kidding, don't try it you'll run into a tree.)   But seriously, is there any science supporting the advice to watch one's step?  

1 minute ago, Amorphous Iodine said:

>When venturing outside, watch your first few steps taken on steps, sidewalks, and driveways, which could be icy and slippery, increasing your risk of a fall and injury.

This advice is questionable.   I heard of one theory that humans evolved to function best with head upright.  Literally watching one's step causes one's head to look down and thus makes makes balancing that more difficult.  Go running in the woods, looking straight ahead.  Then try running while looking at your feet.  (Ha just kidding, don't try it you'll run into a tree.)   But seriously, is there any science supporting the advice to watch one's step?  

A take I wasn’t prepared for

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Suggestion- Post in banter. When you have something relevant and interesting that adds to the discussion, post in the main threads.

This right here is a good suggestion. When in doubt always post in banter. That is what I do. 

24 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

When we do our big AmWx Mid Atlantic picnic this summer, you bring the dessert and I'll try and get some fish for the fryer.

That's a deal. Would be nice to have one this year. 

31 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Used to catch white perch, yellow perch, pike, carp, sunfish, etc. all in around the Magothy. Later, when I lived on Stoney Creek, I would catch rock fish. I could net some grass shrimp and use as bait.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, T. August said:

this thing is dead in the water. Roger didn’t give anyone more than 12”.

We are doomed.... "That's the only route I see to anything heavier than about 6" and my forecast range is 3-6" for the three airports, 6-8" Frederick and 8-12" max in the MRB to MDT zone."

20 minutes ago, Amorphous Iodine said:

Big healthcare at it again trying to get you to break your leg slipping on the ice by pushing flimsy science.  It's true, the best way is eyes forward and just sprint outside.

28 minutes ago, KAOS said:

They are opening a new taproom in Pasadena. Hysteria Brewing Tap House.

A taproom just opened down the street from me:  https://phermbrewing.com/

They have two sours on the list, but I’m not familiar yet.  Maybe I’ll check it out tonight after the gym so I have something to drink tomorrow.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, birdsofprey02 said:

A taproom just opened down the street from me:  https://phermbrewing.com/

They have two sours on the list, but I’m not familiar yet.  Maybe I’ll check it out tonight after the gym so I have something to drink tomorrow.  

More good news! Seems the Baltimore 'burbs have got more going on with regard to breweries than our corner of Fairfax County lately. I think it's time to switch up our typical Loudoun County brewery day-trips and head north into MD for a change.

PRO: Getting the hell out of the close-in NoVA 'burbs for the day

CON: Having to drive back from BaltCo / HoCo / AACo after having one, two, maybe even three 8.0+ ABV IPAs (over the course of an afternoon)

:drunk:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, vastateofmind said:

More good news! Seems the Baltimore 'burbs have got more going on with regard to breweries than our corner of Fairfax County lately. I think it's time to switch up our typical Loudoun County brewery day-trips and head north into MD for a change.

PRO: Getting the hell out of the close-in NoVA 'burbs for the day

CON: Having to drive back from BaltCo / HoCo / AACo after having one, two, maybe even three 8.0+ ABV IPAs (over the course of an afternoon)

:drunk:

I hear that... the VA corridor is one of the worst areas to travel in the entire country.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

My mom is scheduled to get her 2nd jab tomorrow at 11 am in Alexandria.   And they're being total dicks about rescheduling.  I tried to be sympathetic about her plight, but I still want it to snow as much as possible.  Her BF will be taking her in an AWD SUV...I think she'll be ok.

I had a 4:00 appointment scheduled at the local Urgent Care tomorrow, just to see a nurse to get a prescription filled.  They called today to say they are closing and I can do a video visit.  I never knew urgent cares closed for inclement weather.

Hope it goes smoothly for your mother.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Nah, I'm not blaming anyone.

I'm giving up 20 lbs.

Everyone needs to listen to the Kings "Switchin' To Glide."  And it's helping that I have one of @Scraff's mystery silver cans to enjoy.

Sorry I was missing happy hour! Shit!! I was actually out on the deck (freezing my ass with a neighbor) sharing new beers from Tall Tales and Ten Eyck. Some great ones for sure. Baltimore peeps—please ask your local stores for them. And point them my way. :)

090261C3-6192-4ABB-A37C-2674C656548D.jpeg

• Like 4

How da f*ck you post in the main thread if you have been reaped?

Just now, Deer Whisperer said:

My benchmark as well. If I get that I'll be satisfied. Don't care about totals at this point. 31.1/16.4

image.png.764fb68117f67416b9b01eb13ef5fb84.png

The Reaper needs to get his peeps under control. :lol:

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Sorry I was missing happy hour! Shit!! I was actually out on the deck (freezing my ass with a neighbor) sharing new beers from Tall Tales and Ten Eyck. Some great ones for sure. Baltimore peeps—please ask your local stores for them. And point them my way. :)

Again, I'm not typically a fruity-beer dude, but that strawberry/pomegranate sour ale sounds intriguing.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

I had a 4:00 appointment scheduled at the local Urgent Care tomorrow, just to see a nurse to get a prescription filled.  They called today to say they are closing and I can do a video visit.  I never knew urgent cares closed for inclement weather.

Hope it goes smoothly for your mother.

If it’s not emergency department, clinics including urgent cares close. We drive and use transportation as well ya know ?

• Like 1

27/10 after a high of 31 today. Definitely a little discouraged by the 18Z runs. Hate seeing qpf vanish as we approach an event. And every model is way more icy now than it was yesterday for out here. I will take the 3 inches of coming concrete in stride though. True sleet bombs are rare. 

I am so tired from this 2nd covid dose that I might sleep through all of the snow anyways. :)

2 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Again, I'm not typically a fruity-beer dude, but that strawberry/pomegranate sour ale sounds intriguing.

I was over visiting @Scraff's parking lot oasis last week and had a couple of beers from Ten Eyck and they were both amazing.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to try the Bicycle Face, but I think he said they are in Queenstown near the outlet center so I'm going to have to make a trip there.  Maybe meet up with @CAPE again for a couple.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic