Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2021

George BM

8 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

6-10" for the mountains would push seasonal total over 100". :snowing:

I would like to thank @nj2va for posting his winter wonderland pics the last several years for motivating me to look west!

Just a whole different world out there compared to here.  Enjoy the storm!  Glad to see Deep Creek should finish the year above average...should only take one more event after this.

1 hour ago, H2O said:

I don't want to turn this into another COVID thread with debates on all that stuff that made the one earlier this year go sour.  I'm sure they are trying to do the best they can with what they had to start with and prioritize.  If things are improving with all of it then we just have to hope more and more will be allowed to get it and people stay healthy.  thats all I care about.  

Are you saying you'd rather get COVID than not get snow?

<_<

56 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

You're in a pretty good spot for this event. Can't imagine you won't crack 30" on the year from this, and I'd imagine three 6" events in any given year is an impressive feat in a Nina, even out there. Enjoy!!

I've had 4 snowfalls here that have gotten me to climo this season: a 2" one, a 4", an 8" and a 12" storm.  Last time I had 6"+ three times in the same winter was 2013-14.  Need 3.3" tomorrow for my sixth 30" season in 15 winters at this location.

14 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

You definitely need to have that tree removed. Pines are notoriously shallow rooted and can come down at any moment.

I'd say!  Around there they snap off at just the perfect height to be a PIA!

We have a simple rule here.  My wife loves trees but if they threaten the house they get taken down.
Felling is like a party.  Everyone loves to do it but no one wants to clean up the mess afterward.  Such is life.

If oil goes back to the stratosphere, my woodpile is going to be growing again.

Game table mostly done. Need to still add the gear pulls when I get them. It is a used IKEA table I got off of FB marketplace for $40. $30 worth of milk paint and black wax, sand paper, and my design with help from Mr. J on the gear registry. Chairs are those outside aluminum type that I got an amazing deal on. It is the first time I have used wax to protect let alone tinted. But it gave the paint a nice patina especially on the top. 

D074AB2D-A85E-42A8-A163-FC637B212622.jpeg

54DB8D0B-7B85-4869-9830-E74264E68CA3.jpeg

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

We have a simple rule here.  My wife loves trees but if they threaten the house they get taken down.
Felling is like a party.  Everyone loves to do it but no one wants to clean up the mess afterward.  Such is life.

Do you have a portable saw mill by any chance? A couple years ago I had a guy from up your way mill a couple oaks that I had taken down. Made some good furniture with them!

27 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

I've had 4 snowfalls here that have gotten me to climo this season: a 2" one, a 4", an 8" and a 12" storm.  Last time I had 6"+ three times in the same winter was 2013-14.  Need 3.3" tomorrow for my sixth 30" season in 15 winters at this location.

Seeing what you guys get in snow events where us in the immediate DC area are walking between raindrops (pun totally intended) just to manage a meager snowfall is really encouraging me to look for places out that way once the time comes. Gotta deal with being on the outskirts of UHI hell for a few years though.. although some of my college choices are absolutely beautiful in the winter so outside of the DC area for just a little while might not be such a bad idea. 

33 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

I used to get made fun of from my family when I was a kid and TWC launched. I watched it like a normal teenager would bing MTV back then. 

When my nephew, who will turn 14 in a few months, made his first trip to the US when he was around 15 months old he fell in love with the Local on the 8s music and would dance to it.  That and looking at the sky for airplanes since he wasn't used to seeing so many of them.  Sometimes if there was a sufficient lull he'd look at me and point at the sky with a face that said, "Where are they?"

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

I keep a cord at all times just in case. I do a lot of backyard fire pits with the family so we use it. Wood is still the most dependable heating fuel there has ever been. 

43 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

You definitely need to have that tree removed. Pines are notoriously shallow rooted and can come down at any moment.

For sure, it's number 50 on my list of 100 things that needed to get done on this old house since I bought it. I'm hoping given its age it's been through this before.

12 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Seeing what you guys get in snow events where us in the immediate DC area are walking between raindrops (pun totally intended) just to manage a meager snowfall is really encouraging me to look for places out that way once the time comes. Gotta deal with being on the outskirts of UHI hell for a few years though.. although some of my college choices are absolutely beautiful in the winter so outside of the DC area for just a little while might not be such a bad idea. 

I understand how you feel.  I lived in the DC burbs (Maryland) from 1982-2006.  More snow was a factor in deciding to move here.  It's rural where I am, but I can be in downtown Baltimore or downtown DC in about 75 minutes without traffic.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic