Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter 2021

George BM

Just now, WhiteoutMD said:

Another day so I will ask what everyone's opinion is on Downtown DC receiving 3 inches over or under?  me under still.  

Absolutely under. Depends exactly where in the District -- NW DC obviously would have a better shot.

But yeah, take the under. Now. If it's snow AND sleet, I'd still probably take the under, but it'd be closer, obviously. 

• Like 1

Just now, WxMan1 said:

Here in the 50 corridor from DC to Annapolis...

We get what, 3-4 hours of snow before the flip? Say from 11 to 15Z? Even averaging 1/2"/hr rates (moderate snow), the bar for all snow is 2" here. This is where the NAM3 Ferrier SLR (snow NOT including sleet) is useful. It has 1-2" of snow before the flip. 

How much sleet after that? Figure a 2-1 ratio (which might be generous), meaning we need 0.50" of liquid to get 1" of sleet. Just can't see this area getting more than 0.50 to <1.0" of sleet based on the projected QPF after 14-15Z.

Agree this looks like ice to me especially near the bay like Annapolis south and east.  The ice part might start getting play in the media today

Just now, WhiteoutMD said:

Agree this looks like ice to me especially near the bay like Annapolis south and east.  The ice part might start getting play in the media today

FWIW, Ava did mention that those along the bay would see very little in the way of snow accumulation before the flip to sleet, and possibly 33 and rain. 

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Warning for my area includes very little ice. Pretty bullish with a 6-10 call. I like it. 

Pretty crazy when you have a ice storm in Shreveport, LA today. 

You're in a pretty good spot for this event. Can't imagine you won't crack 30" on the year from this, and I'd imagine three 6" events in any given year is an impressive feat in a Nina, even out there. Enjoy!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WxMan1 said:

Here in the 50 corridor from DC to Annapolis...

We get what, 3-4 hours of snow before the flip? Say from 11 to 15Z? Even averaging 1/2"/hr rates (moderate snow), the bar for all snow is 2" here. This is where the NAM3 Ferrier SLR (snow NOT including sleet) is useful. It has 1-2" of snow before the flip. 

How much sleet after that? Figure a 2-1 ratio (which might be generous), meaning we need 0.50" of liquid to get 1" of sleet. Just can't see this area getting more than 0.50 to <1.0" of sleet based on the projected QPF after 14-15Z.

I've been saying to friends that 2-4 Snow/Sleet and then glacier with freezing drizzle afterwards.  They are on me now with the warning text of 3-6 but im holding strong here in the Arlington/DC area.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

FWIW, Ava did mention that those along the bay would see very little in the way of snow accumulation before the flip to sleet, and possibly 33 and rain. 

Looking at the high location and strength of the wedge across the models... I’d doubt Annapolis sees 33 and rain. Solomons Island? My former alma mater St. Mary’s? Absolutely

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chris21 said:

Looking at the high location and strength of the wedge across the models... I’d doubt Annapolis sees 33 and rain. Solomons Island? Mt former alma Mayer St. Mary’s? Absolutely

I was generalizing. I agree with your assessment, you will need to be pretty far south, and along the bay, to see 33 and rain, if at all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chris21 said:

Looking at the high location and strength of the wedge across the models... I’d doubt Annapolis sees 33 and rain. Solomons Island? Mt former alma Mayer St. Mary’s? Absolutely

Well factor in whatever climate and microclimate variables one needs to.  Its impossible to drill down to EVERY location and know who might warm enough to flip to rain

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LP08 said:

I've been saying to friends that 2-4 Snow/Sleet and then glacier with freezing drizzle afterwards.  They are on me now with the warning text of 3-6 but im holding strong here in the Arlington/DC area.

Yeah, I made a 1-3” snow/sleet call to friends for Arlington/DC with light glaze of ice on top.  I wanted to go higher but taking seasonal trends into account.  I’m excited for the storm unless it turns into 35 and white rain for 8 hours (which seems highly unlikely :)). 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, vastateofmind said:

Indeed. And @mappy also offered a subtle admonishment there to temper the "CRUSH JOB IMBY!" glee that will, I'm sure, land on deaf ears.

It will. Snow is very much an IMBY thing. But to tell people, who will absolutely not see 4-8" from this, that they are fools for thinking its a disaster.... is a real asshole move. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Yeah, I made a 1-3” snow/sleet call to friends for Arlington/DC with light glaze of ice on top.  I wanted to go higher but taking seasonal trends into account.  I’m excited for the storm unless it turns into 35 and white rain for 8 hours (which seems highly unlikely :)). 

Still stings a bit to potentially get over an inch of frozen for so little snow, haha.

Just now, birdsofprey02 said:

What would cause heavy ice secretion?  I had steady rain and 29 last week and the ice was minimal.  I figured it was raining too hard for buildup?  
Do you get more ice with lighter precip?  

Correct. A downpour at 31 degrees isn't going to accrete ice very well, it runs off before it has a chance to freeze. A steady drizzle to light rain at 31 degrees is much more impactful. 

4 minutes ago, WhiteoutMD said:

Ice for me could be really bad this go around 

hope it doesn't ice too much for you!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jayyy said:

WSW for 4-8” and up to a 0.25”. Yes please. Anybody who calls that a “disaster” is a dang fool. 

Guess I am a dang fool then. In the Severna Park/Pasadena area every storm this year has underperformed with either hours of pixie dust amounting to virtually nothing or a slop mess with little accumulation. I expect the same thing again for my backyard. Heck, I might change my username to Dang Fool... for wasting my time chasing what amounts to crap.

Note: Originally posted this in the main thread by mistake. I have deleted it and moved it here.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, WhiteoutMD said:

Ice for me could be really bad this go around 

I'm sweating at the moment. I expect little snow as this setup doesn't support significant snow at DC's latitude, but have an 80 foot pine bent about 35 degrees with the entire crown past vertical hanging toward my house. I'm hoping this is mostly sleet, like the last storm, but definitely very nervous. Of course this would be the year we get ice.

8 minutes ago, haudidoody said:

I'm sweating at the moment. I expect little snow as this setup doesn't support significant snow at DC's latitude, but have an 80 foot pine bent about 35 degrees with the entire crown past vertical hanging toward my house. I'm hoping this is mostly sleet, like the last storm, but definitely very nervous. Of course this would be the year we get ice.

You definitely need to have that tree removed. Pines are notoriously shallow rooted and can come down at any moment.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mappy said:

It will. Snow is very much an IMBY thing. But to tell people, who will absolutely not see 4-8" from this, that they are fools for thinking its a disaster.... is a real asshole move. 

Said poster loves to “teach” others and share wisdom. Par for the course. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Said poster loves to “teach” others and share wisdom. Par for the course. 

It is. I wouldn't have had any issue with the post if he hadn't called people fools for being bummed about their 2-4" and a ton of sleet. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic