Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2021

George BM

50 minutes ago, mattie g said:

My wife and met each other while she was living down south, so we started our lives together via long-distance relationship.

One late night, a couple months after we met, she called me to tell me that she was headed home after an evening out with friends. She also told me that she had gotten bitten on her foot by what she assumed was fire ants. I asked how she was, and she said that her foot had swelled up and that her face was starting to itch. She then mentioned that she was driving by a hospital and wondered whether she should check herself in (and then laughed about it). I told her emphatically YES, so she did.

5-10 minutes after she checked in, they took her into a room where she passed the F out. A shot of Benadryl brought her right back, but if she hadn't pulled into the hospital right then...

Allergic reactions can be scary stuff.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, H2O said:

Its funny.  I won't say one bad word about people who have been able to get the shot.  They deserve it and I hope more are able to.  I will say that for almost a year my work has required me to show up to the office every day and my employment is essential.  Some would say pretty damn essential.  But somehow we are group 1c.  Thankfully my wife and one kid just got their first on Friday because preschool teachers.  So just biding my time and hoping it happens sooner than later.

My take is that they're doing the best they can given the situation, but I don't think their categorizations are quite what they should be. I agree that folks like you really should be in 1b, along with your wife and kid.

Maybe if better vaccination planning had started sooner then it wouldn't be so hodgepodge right now, but I think it's at least starting to show signs of improving. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, H2O said:

Its funny.  I won't say one bad word about people who have been able to get the shot.  They deserve it and I hope more are able to.  I will say that for almost a year my work has required me to show up to the office every day and my employment is essential.  Some would say pretty damn essential.  But somehow we are group 1c.  Thankfully my wife and one kid just got their first on Friday because preschool teachers.  So just biding my time and hoping it happens sooner than later.

I have to say I’m scratching my head at how this has been rolled out by the states/localities.  A friend of mine works for the county so is considered essential to keeping the local government running which I totally get - but has been virtually working at home for the last year (and will continue to for the rest of the year).  Meanwhile, grocery workers aren’t essential.  :blink:

Just now, nj2va said:

I have to say I’m scratching my head at how this has been rolled out by the states/localities.  A friend of mine works for the county so is considered essential to keeping the local government running - but has been virtually working at home for the last year (and will continue to for the rest of the year).  Meanwhile, grocery workers aren’t essential.  :blink:

It shouldn't really surprise you that they way they're doing the vaccinations doesn't make sense. Disappoint, yes, but not surprise :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, H2O said:

VA has been a free for all. Once they open up your group you log on to a website and hope you can snag a spot. I got lucky. Period. My wife still hasnt gotten hers. I will give props to the way it is being administered though. It is efficient and well run. I never waited more than 5 minutes for either shot and they are doing a fantastic job in the Winchester area handling it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I have to say I’m scratching my head at how this has been rolled out by the states/localities.  A friend of mine works for the county so is considered essential to keeping the local government running which I totally get - but has been virtually working at home for the last year (and will continue to for the rest of the year).  Meanwhile, grocery workers aren’t essential.  :blink:

Just now, clskinsfan said:

VA has been a free for all. Once they open up your group you log on to a website and hope you can snag a spot. I got lucky. Period. My wife still hasnt gotten hers. I will give props to the way it is being administered though. It is efficient and well run. I never waited more than 5 minutes for either shot and they are doing a fantastic job in the Winchester area handling it. 

I don't want to turn this into another COVID thread with debates on all that stuff that made the one earlier this year go sour.  I'm sure they are trying to do the best they can with what they had to start with and prioritize.  If things are improving with all of it then we just have to hope more and more will be allowed to get it and people stay healthy.  thats all I care about.  

• Like 1

Just now, North Balti Zen said:

The following percentage of this board lives in Union Bridge:

.0000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

I...I..didn't think it was possible to make a more IMBY post than what i've seen lately.  I was mistaken.  All you can do is tip the cap.

• Like 4

Here in the 50 corridor from DC to Annapolis...

We get what, 3-4 hours of snow before the flip? Say from 11 to 15Z? Even averaging 1/2"/hr rates (moderate snow), the bar for all snow is 2" here. This is where the NAM3 Ferrier SLR (snow NOT including sleet) is useful. It has 1-2" of snow before the flip. 

How much sleet after that? Figure a 2-1 ratio (which might be generous), meaning we need 0.50" of liquid to get 1" of sleet. Just can't see this area getting more than 0.50 to <1.0" of sleet based on the projected QPF after 14-15Z.

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic