Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2021

George BM

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Looking at the range of weenie-d out emotion reminds me of a tale my step-mom told me years ago about the "ephemerons".  Very scientific beings that lived on the top of the mercury column of a thermometer.  Their lives were on the order of a microsecond.  After thousands or more generations, they figured out the extent of their world:  where the top and bottom of the thermometer glass was.  After a couple million more, they realized they were accelerating upward, and panic ensued as they thought their world would be crushed on the top of the glass in some number of generations down the line!  Then, after awhile, they realized things were stabilized and the panic stopped.  After a million more generations their measurements indicated they were going down, fairly rapidly.  Upon more and more measurements, they were growing very worried that they would crater at the bottom of their universe!  And so it goes...

Your stepmom sounds like quite the geek!

;) 

:lol:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, but coming back appears to be at the expense of MY sanity (and my soul has fire ants crawling on it now):lol::lol::lol:

Ugh...fire ants!  Nasty little f**ers!!  Experienced those in Florida when I was in grad school for my Master's (FSU).  I have a vivid memory one time of being in the outfield during some softball game practice, running in to catch a fly ball and inadvertently kicking one of those fire ant hill nests.  In one motion right after I caught the ball and kicked that damned hill...I reached down and flung my shoe off.  Thank goodness I didn't get bitten all over the place!

• Like 1

Just now, Always in Zugzwang said:

Ugh...fire ants!  Nasty little f**ers!!  Experienced those in Florida when I was in grad school for my Master's (FSU).  I have a vivid memory one time of being in the outfield during some softball game practice, running in to catch a fly ball and inadvertently kicking one of those fire ant hill nests.  In one motion right after I caught the ball and kicked that damned hill...I reached down and flung my shoe off.  Thank goodness I didn't get bitten all over the place!

When I was about 9, I had done the yearly visit to South Carolina where most of my extended family lives.  I had tons of cousins I was close to and we all would get together and play hide and seek.  It was at night time and I had the clever idea to hide under a car, at night.  And in South Carolina.

It didn't turn out well.   I had laid on top of a fire ant nest.   My arm look like it got a beatdown with a baseball bat.   **** fire ants.

3 minutes ago, H2O said:

Eff it.  Made a map.  Forgot to add that 

more snow maps.jpg

You need to shift the purple to be a little more centered. 

Just now, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

The long timers need to do a better job setting an example. 

look in the mirror while you're chastising others. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

When I was about 9, I had done the yearly visit to South Carolina where most of my extended family lives.  I had tons of cousins I was close to and we all would get together and play hide and seek.  It was at night time and I had the clever idea to hide under a car, at night.  And in South Carolina.

It didn't turn out well.   I had laid on top of a fire ant nest.   My arm look like it got a beatdown with a baseball bat.   **** fire ants.

My wife and met each other while she was living down south, so we started our lives together via long-distance relationship.

One late night, a couple months after we met, she called me to tell me that she was headed home after an evening out with friends. She also told me that she had gotten bitten on her foot by what she assumed was fire ants. I asked how she was, and she said that her foot had swelled up and that her face was starting to itch. She then mentioned that she was driving by a hospital and wondered whether she should check herself in (and then laughed about it). I told her emphatically YES, so she did.

5-10 minutes after she checked in, they took her into a room where she passed the F out. A shot of Benadryl brought her right back, but if she hadn't pulled into the hospital right then...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

My wife and met each other while she was living down south, so we started our lives together via long-distance relationship.

One late night, a couple months after we met, she called me to tell me that she was headed home after an evening out with friends. She also told me that she had gotten bitten on her foot by what she assumed was fire ants. I asked how she was, and she said that her foot had swelled up and that her face was starting to itch. She then mentioned that she was driving by a hospital and wondered whether she should check herself in (and then laughed about it). I told her emphatically YES, so she did.

5-10 minutes after she checked in, they took her into a room where she passed the F out. A shot of Benadryl brought her right back, but if she hadn't pulled into the hospital right then...

Oh man..yeah, thank God she pulled into the hospital.  Thank God I wasn't allergic, I would have been dead.  There had to be a least 25-30 bites on my arm. 

I'll try to sneak this question in before more of the 12Z models come in. Is freezing rain literally just plain rain that falls when the surface temperature is below 32 degrees, or is it rain that falls through sub-freezing air and thus becomes "supercooled" or something like that to the point where it is supposed to freeze on contact with the surface? I've googled this question, and annoyingly I've seen both answers given. 

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Pfizer. It's not awful. Just chills, aches and joint soreness. Almost feels like a bad hangover without the fun last night :)

Good to hear! Gotta be a good feeling knowing you're gonna get your life back real soon, I'm happy for you. I won't get a vaccine for a long while, I'm way too young

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

Oh man..yeah, thank God she pulled into the hospital.  Thank God I wasn't allergic, I would have been dead.  There had to be a least 25-30 bites on my arm. 

We think back on it and realize how bad it could have been.

She got tagged three or four times by bald-faced hornets two summers ago and ended up going to the ER - first time she'd had an obvious allergic reaction since that scare all those years ago. Damn sure she carries around an EpiPen now.

I'm like you - I can take hits from all kinds of stinging insects and not react at all )other than pain and some swelling), but let me touch poison ivy/oak/sumac and I'm fugged. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Oh, that's awful!!  Really bad allergic reaction.  I'm glad you told her emphatically to head right to the ER, and that she was driving by a hospital.  Glad she ended up OK!

4 minutes ago, 66degreesnorth said:

I'll try to sneak this question in before more of the 12Z models come in. Is freezing rain literally just plain rain that falls when the surface temperature is below 32 degrees, or is it rain that falls through sub-freezing air and thus becomes "supercooled" or something like that to the point where it is supposed to freeze on contact with the surface? I've googled this question, and annoyingly I've seen both answers given. 

It's fairly easy to envision. Freezing rain has a warm layer thick enough not too far off the ground to melt snowflakes. Rain simply falls into shallow sub freezing air layer near the surface. Warmth is too much for the melted flake to re-freeze into a sleet ball but freezes on contact with the ground. Sleet has a lot of cold air in all levels except somewhere around 5-9k'. Snow falls above, melts to rain in the middle, and has plenty of cold to traverse through on the way down to freeze into a sleetball. Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Deer Whisperer said:

Good to hear! Gotta be a good feeling knowing you're gonna get your life back real soon, I'm happy for you. I won't get a vaccine for a long while, I'm way too young

I just feel incredibly relieved. I am still relatively young. Mid 50's. But I have lung disease. Haven't been to a bar or restaurant for a year at this point. Can't wait to get my life back. 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic