Weathernoob335
February Banter 2021

George BM

35 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Updated final call

Leesburg 2-3" snow 1" sleet 0.05" freezing rain

Sykesville 3-4" snow 17 sleet pellets 0.01" freezing rain

Rug meet pull

Most likely the last event of the winter...I'll be heading into spring/summer posting mode shortly. As always it has been fun but not really but sort of. 18 years in...not as much fun as it used to be but still draws me back every winter. Stay safe and healthy everyone!!

I feel the same. 95% of it isn’t fun at all but that 5% when it snows is heaven. I’m almost ready for spring right now just to eliminate The possibility of snow.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I feel the same. 95% of it isn’t fun at all but that 5% when it snows is heaven. I’m almost ready for spring right now just to eliminate The possibility of snow.

I do my best not to get too high or low during winter but it does get exhausting....today has that uh oh feeling to it, I'm really not sure what is going to happen but I'm always conservative with my backyard projections...honestly there is a skeptical part of my brain right now saying this thing could end up a total non event and that would be a real wow so close to game time. I clearly don't know but i'm just saying...hope i'm wrong.

Feb 2021 has featured major to historic snows in... Dallas, San Antonio, Nashville, Little Rock, Seattle, Cincinnati, St Louis. Places like Chicago and NYC also have been hit big. But we can’t get a simple high end advisory snow in DC. 3 inches to cover the grass and street. Need a miracle, even in a good airmass. The 24 hour trends pre event look like they have commenced. At least we will have plenty of ice for our scotch. 

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, ovechkin said:

Feb 2021 has featured major to historic snows in... Dallas, San Antonio, Nashville, Little Rock, Seattle, Cincinnati, St Louis. Places like Chicago and NYC also have been hit big. But we can’t get a simple high end advisory snow in DC. 3 inches to cover the grass and street. Need a miracle, even in a good airmass. The 24 hour trends pre event look like they have commenced. At least we will have plenty of ice for our scotch. 

dont forget tears. plenty of those to keep scotch chilled

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ovechkin said:

It’s a tragedy that will be documented and brought to life through literature and film for hundreds of years.

You thought Titanic was an emotional movie? Just wait for this one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Off hour runs. NAM will start the 12z with a blitzkrieg

I mean it has to, you have to hope this is the waffle zone period then a slight push back later today to a more robust system. To quote psu….the problem is...but...trends aren't great....I'm joking mostly but it's getting sort of ugly up in here.

The ultimate Deb Downer prediction for DCA for this storm....

we blow by the forecasted high of 35 and hit 39 or 40. Clouds roll in. Prevents radiational cooling. Despite the airmass we still have to watch the turtle like speed of the temp drop while dews start to rise. Precip starts as snow with marginal temps, maybe whitens the grass a bit cools everything down. The warm nose then suddenly appears and changes things to Sleet/FZR. DCA reports 0.6 of a few flakes and pellets.

;) 

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

Considering this was rain a few days ago, I’ll take my sleet storm and be happy.  Too much doom and gloom up in here.  No wonder why tracking storms just isn’t fun anymore.

been that way for the last couple events. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Deck Pic said:

19 now.  Windy and cloudy so will only get down to 13.  

This has been a cold Feb here...about -3....But we havent really seen any super cold.  It's just been persistent highs of upper 20s to mid 30s, and lows in the low 20s.  And Cloudy 80-90% of the time.  My lowest temp since I got here is 13.  And I was only in the teens one other night. And my low max  is 26.  I have a shot at single digits this weekend.  But only for a night or two. 

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

You’ll find that it’s cloudy out here most of the time in winter. It’s weird. You often can see the edge of the cloud deck to the south and east and it will just sit there all day.

Y'all live in as-close-to-heaven in VA/WV area as you can get. After numerous brewery crawls along Rt. 7 between Leesburg/Winchester over the years, we briefly considered an eventual retirement move to Winchester area, but I can't take the cold like I used to...which sucks, because I've always preferred to be in the mountains. We'll likely head south to one of the Carolinas in a few years (where, apparently, our snow chances are better anyhow), but I've fallen in love with the location of DeckPic's rental after seeing his recent pics, and want to take some weekend trips to that corner of WV before we leave for good.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic