Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2021

George BM

Just now, csnavywx said:

I've been happy to be getting scraps down here after 2 shut-out years. Last year I had to scrape frost off my car a grand total of twice.

yeah i mean last year we basically didn't have winter. this year at least there is some semblance of it.  although it looks like DC proper will go another year where it fails to drop below 20F.

Now 12 degrees with moderate to heavy snow. Winds really blowing snow off the roofs and all over the ground. Drifts are forming. This is only 2-3 inches

of snow, but this is a LOT for this part of the US.

I apologize for the poor quality of this video, but this is my very first ever on youtube.

You guys said I better have pics, or it never happened.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

11 degrees, pouring snow, wind is just blowing all those aggregates past the lights, and we have almost 4 inches! We have now received over 800 percent of normal seasonal snowfall here! NWS here mentioned some places might get over 6 inches. I might just have to stay up all night to find out lol.

• Like 3

Absolutely POURING BIG flakes, wind is just blowing big snowflakes all over in the porch lights! Its 10 degrees with approximate -11 to -15 wind chills. Mets, please correct me if that is overstated. ITS FRACKIN COLD out there! I went out to get a snow depth reading only 20-30 min ago ----- MY FOOTPRINTS ARE TOTALLY OBLITERATED! Ground landmarks are disappearing lol. That snow is on the ATTACK! I think I just may be getting totally shellacked.

• Like 7

Snow is slowing down a little now, 9 degrees, winds are all over the place, measuring snow is going to be a challenge. Might have to take about 100 readings then average them lol. Looks like about 6 inches easy, may be 7. Will look over the trained spotter reports later, refine and tweak my findings. Snow still coming down, not quite as crazy hard. Got a BIG 8 inch drift on the deck. Might have to get a Deck Pic or two later.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jebman said:

Snow is slowing down a little now, 9 degrees, winds are all over the place, measuring snow is going to be a challenge. Might have to take about 100 readings then average them lol. Looks like about 6 inches easy, may be 7. Will look over the trained spotter reports later, refine and tweak my findings. Snow still coming down, not quite as crazy hard. Got a BIG 8 inch drift on the deck. Might have to get a Deck Pic or two later.

That's incredible Jebman! Congratulations on the epic storm! Make sure you show those Texans how to shovel all that snow...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

It is colder in Houston right now than it has been at DCA for years.  This is amazing stuff.

OK city had moderate snow and a temp of 1. Can't remember that ever happening in DC. Maybe back in like 94 between ice storms I remember a few inches with temps near 0.

It’s interesting how these crazy cold shots come down so far south in the middle of the country. I would think that the Gulf of Mexico would help moderate temps in places like Houston, but apparently not or not always? 

I read recently that in 1895 there was snow as far south as Tampico, MX. 

Seems like the Atlantic (or maybe our longitude) is our worst enemy here in the mid Atlantic 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IUsedToHateCold said:

It’s interesting how these crazy cold shots come down so far south in the middle of the country. I would think that the Gulf of Mexico would help moderate temps in places like Houston, but apparently not or not always? 

I read recently that in 1895 there was snow as far south as Tampico, MX. 

Seems like the Atlantic (or maybe our longitude) is our worst enemy here in the mid Atlantic 

Both the Atlantic and the Apps.  Expansive cold air outbreaks are often shallow.

5 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

Meanwhile I hear the first chirping of birds in quite a while outside.

No one will believe this but I was down in my old PG county stomping grounds on Friday walking the old neighborhood, and when I went to check out the old duck pond, peepers were chirping from the heavy cover. It was cold but they didn’t seem to mind at all. Spring will be here before we know it.

9 hours ago, ovechkin said:

VV was never intended to start 11 games in a row. The D is terrible and they can’t win a face off.

@Deer Whisperer @nj2va @nw baltimore wx

Orlov needs to be traded, but the D in general is way too soft. I do like Samsonov. Praying he gets the nod Tuesday. Agree they couldn’t win a face off, but when you play lazy and with no energy or passion (even our stars), you won’t win anything. And don’t get me started on Kuzy. He might as well be named Semin. Maybe package him and Orlov? I dunno. I’m just frustrated with this team right now. I’ll just hope we can have a better showing tomorrow.

6 hours ago, Jebman said:

Congrats! Do you have a snow shovel down there? Make a big pile!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic